Jobs in the industry

pognoi

I've had a voice in the back of my head begging to make a thread for this for a while. and so I decided that I'd do it today.

I'm sure, most of us here at some point in our lives have at least fantasized about working in Theme parks, doing certain roles; from dispatching rides to designing the experiences. So here's a series of questions for you.

1. At what point did you get a reality check? At what point, did you go 'nah, I want to be'....'a (insert job here) instead!'.

2. Have you guys ever had any experience in the trades?

3. Why did/n't you stop?

4. What was your dream role?

I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say after I've seen a lot of people recently saying they'd love to work in the theme park industry. Go!

Good question...well since I'm still in year 9 I've got a long time to think about it however, I'd love to have a say on the design of different theme park aspects. Anything in the design/engineering industry will suit me really but a theme park job is ideal. As I said I'm all about the design, and I do have a book (or 2) of my designs. I also won an annual pass because I won the Future Thorpe competition. I'm not saying this has got me a place In the industry (because it obviously hasn't) but "crosses fingers" hopefully there's a place for me in the theme park world...

For all you interested, my Instagram name for the competition is slipstream_thorpe

Good question...well since I'm still in year 9 I've got a long time to think about it however, I'd love to have a say on the design of different theme park aspects. Anything in the design/engineering industry will suit me really but a theme park job is ideal. As I said I'm all about the design, and I do have a book (or 2) of my designs. I also won an annual pass because I won the Future Thorpe competition. I'm not saying this has got me a place In the industry (because it obviously hasn't) but "crosses fingers" hopefully there's a place for me in the theme park world...

For all you interested, my Instagram name for the competition is slipstream_thorpe

Your design was really cool, I saw it during the competition! Congrats on winning!

After working in rides for 3 years at Chessie, what a mess that was at times...

Then again, it was only a part-time job, couldn't do it full time, be bloody awful I reckon...

Maybe one day I'll actually get into the Engineering side, it's difficult to get into mind, very difficult indeed... And that's just to say get into Thorpe's Engineering department...

Well....

1. My reality check happened when I realised seasonal contracts with minimum wage wasn't going to get me very far in life.

2. 3 Years of Theme Park's, enough to last me. 

3. See number 1, in addition, it ruined the overall experience for me and ran into several problematic situations which could have caused significant medical issues for me.

4. Haven't really got a dream job at the moment!

I've work at both Walt Disney World as an Attractions Host & Operator (a ride and a show) and in the Entertainments Department at Chessington.

1. At what point did you get a reality check? At what point, did you go 'nah, I want to be'....'a (insert job here) instead!'.

Disney was great - but you are just a 'number'. It was a summer programme so I always knew it would be limited. I would love to go back.

Chessington was, generally, awful. Money was awful and the hours I was expected to work for them horrendous.

2. Have you guys ever had any experience in the trades?

I wrote my MA dissertation on Theme Parks (Epcot & Theming) Disney was a summer job in between university years and I worked at Chessington for one and a half years. 

3. Why did/n't you stop?

I was actually made redundant from Chessington, but I would have quit not long after that anyway for the reasons listed above.

4. What was your dream role?

It would be involved in the creative design of the theme parks, or in ensuring park standards of 'show' and efficiency.

I really wanted to get into the graphic design side of theme parks as I did really enjoy art and the like, but I basically didn't take graphics at GCSE (I foolishly chose media instead) and pretty much decided I'd have more a chance of being a doctor than having such a job in the theme park industry.

So here I am, currently doing my A levels hoping I'm competent enough to end up as a doctor at some point. I suppose the fact that I'd find a career in medicine in which I'd be helping people etc. more rewarding than designing some pretty things for people to look at contributed to my overall decision to give up/focus on this route. Also, science can be fun

I am a theatre sound technician by trade, and would love to do the full sound design for a dark ride. It is very difficult to make visual stuff actually believable in dark rides, but the sound can be spot on. Sadly the only time I have come across someone working as a sound designer for a theme park was on Expedition Everest as Disney World, most ride companies wouldn't employ one very often if at all.