Walibi Belgium

https://kanaalz.knack.be/nieuws/walibi-heropent-op-een-kwart-van-z-n-capaciteit/video-normal-1616365.html

Some details about Walibi Belgium is the above article:

• The park lost approx €15m during Belgium's lockdown. Like some parks here, they hadn't yet opened before the Lockdowns started, and only opened on Wednesday
  • The new Intamin Mega is a €25m investment in total, and the ride is on track to open in April next year
  • That is of course part of a €100m investment plan of the park. This plan was to take place between 2018-2023, but the park have confirmed this will now be finished by 2025. I don't think that's totally down to Covid either, as plans for last year and this year had been delayed 
  • Compaigne des Alpes, the parent company who own all Walibi parks as well as Parc Asterix, took out a €200m loan during Lockdown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Screenshot_20201115-171502_Instagram.thumb.jpg.b2cfe5c7358668663b5ce54f73e705e6.jpgScreenshot_20201115-171517_Instagram.thumb.jpg.1a4f80551295f104cc1688c8110c19e3.jpgTrains now on track for the new Intamin mega coaster. 

The rumoured name for this thing going around seems to be "Mata" and the theming will be heavily african inspired.

This aswell as the new Plopsa spinner seems to make Belgium must do next season.....assuming this blasted pandemic and the restrictions that come with it ease off ofcourse 

• 1 month later...

The name is confirmed to be Kondaa

It made its first test run a couple of weeks back:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=external&v=381612839605104

It's also expected that it will form an entirely new area (which Walibi Belgium call Worlds), rather than being an extension to the neighbouring Exotic World.

All very exciting stuff.

To think that this is the same company that gave us the abomination known as Rita!!

Next year looking all set to be intamins year with this,Velocicoaster and Pantheon all scheduled to open. This very well could be the best of the lot!!

Whether it tops Untamed for my top euro coaster remains to be seen should I be able to get out there, but certainly looks like it shall put up a fight.

Cant wait to hopefully get to ride it!!

• 1 month later...

Maybe I am jumping the gun in what I am about to say, but so far the coaster has looked somewhat sluggish in its testing videos.

Ofcourse it may well be different in warmer weather and indeed with riders onboard, but given its been testing a few weeks now, I would have expected it to start to quicken up a little by now.

Still looks a solid coaster though!!

This literally looked to be one of my most anticipated coasters to get on in Europe for 21. But I have to agree it has seemed a bit sluggish and yes whilst coasters warm up and get faster I am not so sure the more I watch it. It is still going to be fantastic but think I am now more hyped for abyssus whereas it was the opposite until very recently. 

• 2 months later...

Kondaa is opening May 8th, which is when the park is (currently) allowed to reopen.

The ride now has it's own mini-site, which features some nice background audio: https://kondaa.walibi.be/nl/

There is also going to be a short Behind the Scenes / Making Of series in the build up. Episode 1 is out now:

(Sadly only available in Dutch or French)

And a reminder of some of the key stats:

Height: 50m

Length: 1200m

Max speed: 113kmph (~70mph)

Airtime moments: 15

Max positive G: 4.3G

Max negative G: 1.3G

This will be the highest and fastest roller coaster in the Benelux and France upon opening. (However, Asterix's coaster will take the highest record by 1m when that opens in 2023)

When this was first announced - way back in late 2018 - it was also said this would have the most airtime moments of any steel coaster in the world. Whether that's still the case I don't know, but in either case, it's still got a lot...

Fingers very much firmly crossed that a chance opens up this year to make the trip to Belgium for this!

3 hours ago, JoshC. said:

When this was first announced - way back in late 2018 - it was also said this would have the most airtime moments of any steel coaster in the world. Whether that's still the case I don't know, but in either case, it's still got a lot

I think Steel Vengeance may have something to say to that!!