All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Wicker Matt

Camelot

This is saddening, but not surprising. I suspected from the day Camelot shut this ride wouldn’t be relocated inspite the optimism somewhat Pleasureland would be getting it. well the drive to Blackpool will be less exciting now!
  3. Maybe it’s a lamp? I can see where the bulb goes.
  4. Ivsetti

Dank Memes

Not a meme per se but certainly dank (to tune of those Lego toy commercials you see on TV, what with Merlin being taken over by Lego): (this was not written by me)
  5. Ivsetti

Top 10's

Dum Dum dum dum dum ... Duuum Duuum... -Weird synth mixing- Repeat ad nauseum
  6. Mattgwise

Camelot

TBF the condition it was in, I was surprised people really thought it would be saved, especially in the last 3 years or so. The costs to refurbish it would have been astronomical! A new coaster from a cheap manufacture would probably be cheaper.
  7. ^ Thought it was a picture of a cement mixer at first 😂
  8. Nice little video to kickstart the celebrations, looking forward to some of the things planned.
  9. I don't get the fuss behind Helix TBH, I was hugely disappointed with it after YEARS of people banging on about it. The launches were naff, the airtime wasn't half as much as expected, the restraint dug into my leg more and more as I went through (Icon and Blue Fire doesn't do this as bad), and the whole thing rattled and was not as smooth as it should have been. That added with numerous technical issues on what I was previously told never went wrong made for a not so pleasant time with it. I know i'm in minority, so no need for backlash. I am however entitled to my opinion. Odd considering I like Icon!
  10. Taziker Industrial have written a fantastic article on the retracking of The Big One - lots of good info! https://ti.uk.com/case-studies/the-big-one-rollercoaster
  11. I like Liseberg, although it is not necessarily my favourite park. They have a good selection of headlining coasters, some varied flat rides and other attractions too. It’s clean and has decent food generally too. However parks such as Phantasialand and Europa I definitely prefer, mainly for the escapism and overall experience front. P.A is just overrated tbh, I have no plans for a return visit right now, even with my bucket list.
  12. I agree with this. To me Liseberg is worth a visit because it has 1. One of Europe's best coasters in Helix. 2. The best flat ride on the planet in the form of Loke. 3. One of the finest wooden coasters in Balder. 4. In my opinion, the best dive coaster in valkyria 5. Two solid enough water rides 6. A very well themed horror maze in Hotel Gasten. 7. A brilliant classic coaster in Lisebergbanan Is it my favourite park?? Nope. It sits behind Cedar Point and Phantasia, but to me it's certainly one of the best parks in Europe. Good ride collection, good food options, nice atmosphere and pretty decent operations and staff.
  13. Benin

Top 10's

I'm gonna disagree with Liseberg. I don't find the layout annoying (and my second visit was with a wheelchair!) And it has an actual good collection of flat rides and a good atmosphere as well, even during Halloween where it was busy (though the wheelchair might factor that, people move very quickly out the way). Very surprised by the dislike of Valkyria too, I thought it was fab.
  14. JoshC.

Top 10's

I'm with you here. I love Helix and Balder (both are in my Top 5), and Lisbergbanan too. But outside that? There's nothing that really grabs my attention. It's all a bit bland, coupled with the burdensome layout. I guess the fact I don't like spinny rides (Loke and Mechanica are 2 immediate nopes from me) doesn't help my feelings either. I've never really understood the pedestal it's put on within enthusiast circles. I adore Phantasialand, but it always strikes me as interesting at how forgiving I am for the large chunks of rubbish they have. When visiting with a first timer last month, there were plenty of times I was saying 'this is a joke ride' or 'don't expect much here' or whatever. China, Hollywood Tours, Temple / Crazy Bats stick out. Mystery Castle's different settings. Parts of Fantasy aren't exactly in great shape. Colorado Adventure looks surprisingly tired in place. I detest all of their shows too. But for every piece of junk, they have two pieces of brilliance. And much of the brilliance is really up there with some of the best of the best. And those modern areas have such a charm to it as well. I guess the junk can be forgiven because it's clear to see they're getting rid of it all slowly. I genuinely can't imagine how the park will feel when they update China and Hollywood/Crazy Bats, which could easily happen over the next decade. I genuinely believe that Efteling (along with Phantasialand, albeit that's more of a stretch I admit) is a park everyone should visit, regardless of whether they like theme parks or not. The Fairytale Forest can takes hours if you do it properly and take your time. Their dark ride selection gives something for everyone. Their coaster selection is quite varied and decent. Then they have the shows too. And even on busy days, it copes and manages to keep a hold of it's charm. The fact that basically everyone who lives in The Netherlands has been to the park speaks volumes for its appeal.
  15. Mark9

Top 10's

Top five parks that I love with all my being and would recommend whole heatedly. But please bare in mind this doesn't always have the groundbreaking rides, its all about that sweet, sweet theme as I at heart prefer escapism to just being thrilled. 5. Chessington. Nostalgia is important. Chessington has that nostalgia for me and every time I go I enjoy it far more then a lot of bigger, high budget parks. Whether its exploring the Zoo which makes this the more unique Merlin park or sitting in the hotel bar overlooking the savannah, this feels like the chill out park that I love. Vampire is a classic, Fury is great and the nostalgia for operating these rides will always make it a special place for me. 4. Phantasialand. Wonderful place. Naturally Chiapas and Taron are the standouts. There are parts of the park that are pretty weak such as the awful Winjas Force, Temple of the Knight-hawk and the tedious Chinese Vekoma madhouse. But the charm remains around the rest of the place and its always hotly anticipated. 3. Disneys Animal Kingdom. Immersion is the name of the game and this is the most consistent, natural and beautiful parks that Disney offers. From the wonderful food and drink (siting in Nomad lounge is a pleasure) too the unique Kilimanjaro Safari which is the ultimate E-ticket, a trip to Animal Kingdom has become more and more integral the more I go to Disney World. Pandora has only made the park more important. 2. Efteling. I don't think any theme park is as timeless, beautiful and charming as Efteling. European theme parks can be divided into two categories, the modern like Phantasialand and PortAventura or the classic like Alton Towers and Efteling. This place is gorgeous and a pleasure to explore. 1. Europa Park. Yeah this is an obvious Number one. It's a theme park I've been going to for nearly twenty years and it has everything that I require from a theme park. Whether its escapism with well themed rides or beautiful resorts, Bundles of rides and walk throughs, good food and lots of cheap beer. Yeah this has it all. My personal favourite is walking through the diamond cave and watching Alpine Express zooming through every two minutes. It's wonderful.
  16. Skyline Park, a park about an hour or so west of Munich, have announced that their Maurer Spike coaster - Sky Dragster - will not be returning. Sky Dragster was the first Maurer Spike coaster, a coaster where you sit on a motorbike-like car on a single rail track, and control the speed at which you go round the course. It was weird. The ride model has been plagued with unreliability and other issues. Currently, the only other park to invest in the ride type is Mirabilandia in Italy, who invested in the a duelling pair as part of their Ducati-themed land. They have been even less reliable. The model is also set to appear on a Cruise Ship next year. So good luck there... Skyline Park have a very good relationship with Maurer, so it's a shame to see them giving up on this. In other news, the park are opening a 466ft/142m Star Flyer this year; making it the tallest one in the world: https://www.parkerlebnis.de/skyline-park-2020-neuheit-hoechstes-kettenkarussell-weltweit-ankuendigung_107082.html
  17. Mark9

Top 10's

Top five parks that people love but I don't really enjoy as much as others and I won't use the word over-rated because that implies that I think the place is rubbish when it actually isn't apart from the Number 1 park which really is awful. 5. Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I don't mind the pleasure beach as such. I like Icon and I like the Wallace and Gromit ride. Big Dipper is okay as well. But everything else is just a bit bad. It doesn't help that Blackpool as a place really needs to sink into the sea and never return. 4. Islands of Adventure. I know why people love this place but I've never felt any love for it. Sheds. Thorpe Park on steroids. The first park to destroy not one but two B&M's. Thats a cardinal sin. It also has that really bad log flume where you just travel past cardboard scenery but nobody talks about it because the final drops look pretty on instagram. 3. Disneyland (CA). The grand-daddy of the Western themed area, Disneyland holds an amazing amount of nostalgia for so many people. It was Walt's park, he walked those streets, came up with the groundbreaking hub and spoke, the man was a genius. But this was a park for a different generation and these days, Disneyland is a struggle. It's tiny, full of low throughput attractions and is frustrating when all queues spill out into walkways all over the place. Nah. 2. Liseberg. I like Liseberg. But its a park that gets ridiculously busy all the time and is a real hassle to get around. I've been twice and I like Helix a lot, Lisebergbananananananana is wonderful, I liked Kanonen and I don't so much mind Balder. Valraven is boring. I find this park such a pain to get around because it was clearly designed with a smaller amount of people in mind. During my last trip when it was open 6pm-12am, the park was empty and it was lovely to be around. We could appreciate the rides and layout and how beautiful parts of it are. But on a busier day, forget it. I don't like the escalator up to Helix and the drop tower and I find the park annoying to get around. 1. PortAventura. The typical love for this place comes down to two things; It's hot and has good opening hours. For me it has two rides worth doing in Shambhala and Dragon Khan, a pretty good show and then you have 10 hours of wasting time because there's nothing else that I enjoy to ride or see. And worse is the queue-jumping. This isn't exclusive to PortAventura (The Madrid parks have exactly the same problem). But PA is far busier and full of queue skipping children. The only park where I recommend buying Fast-lane because if everyone queue jumps anyway you may as well do it within the park rules.
  18. Some nice updates: Source Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but whilst both coasters will open this year, it is rumoured that the theming may not be completed until 2021.
  19. JoshC.

Camelot

After years of being left there, Knightmare is finally being demolished (key word there: not taken apart, just out right demolished)
  20. Some nice theming has been delivered: Source
  21. Love the 40th anniversary video. Very fun and a nice shade of different. (Shame they added 1 to the opening years of Mutiny Bay, Cloud Cuckoo Land and Dark Forest though) Also, am very sad they didn't mention Nemesis Sub Terra. Gone but not forgotten 💔
  22. I think that reference would be wasted on the Velvet Coaster loving community 😁 That's a great video shared above - but where's Nemesis Sub Terra? Also, I hope Towers get a little flowerbed in the shape of 40, otherwise Thorpe will have one over them there.
  23. An article was recently posted discussing the accessibility of some UK theme parks. Within it, there's an interesting quote re Thorpe: Taking this at face value, and keeping in mind that the park can't change the H&S rules for who rides certain rides, this sounds like Thorpe are going to make some rides easier to access for those, say, in a wheelchair. In particular, this could mean Inferno (which hasn't had a lift to the station since like 2004, for...reasons) or improvements to Saw's lift (which I recall being temperamental). Given there's also been lots of scaffolding around Inferno too, this could make a lot of sense, and would be good to see.
  24. Last week
  25. pluk

Alton Towers News

I'm hearing Omnipollo soft serves in steins.
  1. Load more activity