Getting someone to ride a roller coaster

jammydodger

Question

12 answers to this question

Not sure of the reasons for not trying but that may be it - get your friend to agree to ride each and then to give you his assessment? Tell him to (not meaning to sound like Darth Vader) feel the ride, the way he is held or allowed to move, the G forces and any discomfort, and most important, if he feels any airtime.

Sometimes in the queues people express their concern for the danger or safety - I tell them that the ride would not be allowed to exist if it were anything but safe. I also alert them to the fact that they probably arrived by car or coach and that more people die on Britains motorways daily, than worldwide in theme parks during a year!

Sadly though, some people physically don't like them, which means they are not in front of me in the queue!

I'm a deep believer of try everything once. My encouragement techniques, tried and tested with various levels of success:

-The wait is usually the problem as tension builds up. Don't mention the 'challenges' until just before you do it and do all you can to avoid queues. Then just spring it very matter of factly that they are going on that with you now. No time for them to talk themselves out of it.

- If there is a queue get them to 'wait with you while you queue so you don't have to wait alone', then again at the last minute lay the challenge.

- Have a plan of order, if you know what they do/don't like and build them up to that. At Thorpe I usually get them on Stealth under the agreement that even if they hate it it is over in a few seconds anyway, but most people enjoy it because it is smooth and comfortable. After that you can tell them they've done the biggest ride in the park so they can do anything, if you start with Colossos or Saw you are unlikely to get them on anything else big so end there!

-If people don't like spinny things then they just don't like them and you might get covered in sick if you trick them on!

Good luck with it, I love being with people enjoying their first experience of rides and seeing their reactions.

What was it about certain rides that made me not go on them? Was the height of them? The speed of them? Just the fact they 'looked scary'?

If it's about the height, I'd say get try and get them on something like Loggers Leap or Storm Surge, both of which are quite high really. If they're able to do those sorts of rides, then you can say they'll be fine on anything else because it won't feel any higher really, and they'll be up there for less time; make them think after they've been on Loggers/SS that that's the worst it could get. It will have varying success, but the approach worked a few years ago for me with someone who was scared of heights.

If it's the speed (or height, and you want a different approach to my previous idea), then I think pluk's advice about Stealth is a brilliant one. It is over in a few seconds, and after that, the park doesn't have anything faster or higher, so in that sense everything else is a step down and won't feel so bad.

If it's because some rides 'look scary', then it will be slightly trickier I think. Just try explaining, calmly and in a non-pressurising way, what the ride is like, try comparing it other rides they've been on, and that it'll probably be no where near as scary as he thinks it is. Try laying down a 'challenge' at the last minute for a certain ride, and see if they accept it. But at the end of the day, it will be up to them from there whether they're feeling brave enough.

Also with the coasters (I know everyone is different) I found that keeping my head right back against the restraint helped and keeping my eyes OPEN even though I wanted to close them a lot!

That is excellent advice. So many people fail to grasp that keeping your eyes closed will lead to disorientation and make every maneuver feel exaggerated.

I've found that dragging people on against their will is a good method (to which Holly, Nicky and a few other people throughout my life shall attest)...

Alternatively, a build-up technique to the bigger rides is a decent idea...

Still hate you for Oblivion XD

I went yesterday and had someone who was really scared. Don't take them on Saw first, Nemmy is definately the starter one. My friend found that she really liked Nemmy and Stealth. Didn't try the others but we ended up just basically saying to her you'll be fine. She said that me telling her information about the rides helped.

This topic actually helped me aswell- thanks guys :D

I am planning to go to thorpe with my friend on a weekend soon, but firstly he doesn't like queueing over 20 mins(nothing we can do about that as I'm not paying a fortune for fastrack) and also he doesn't WANT to go on most of the rides even though I know he would love them. He has done nemesis inferno and vortex in terms of big rides and he says he would go on Colossus but its the others which are the issues. I think if I use your advice I can get him on them, especially as he likes 'backwards' rides. Maybe he would do swarm backwards and I could convince him to do it forwards. I think the height is the problem however but maybe if I convince him to ride stealth then he would go on everything else!

Thanks for everyone's advice because it helped me aswell!

"You are only as high as your seat", well that's one of my comments when people say they fear the height.

As an older guy, and the fact that I attend mostly on my own, I generally take some reading material for the queue, but if you have a shared interest with your friends, why not take a small book that you can share, a silly one; I too hate queueing for anything over twenty minutes, but luckily can go there during the week.