Universal Studios Florida

Mark9

LOL fail of the month there, I'll be here all week for your entertainment :lol:

And by the comparison I meant it might give Merlin more ideas on security, although strangly enough I was able to go through one of those hand held scanners earlier this month with an actioncam in my pocket.

Universal's locker system is dumb because if you hit the time limit, you can't pay to open your locker because your wallet should be in the locker...

My fail was better ;)

You don't want to get me started on the 'need' for security, you might just be drawing your pension before I've finished.

That's such a stupid system, people cant use their phones, cameras or anything out of their bag in the queue! Why not do it at a batching point just before getting on the ride?

I wonder what the reasoning behind it really is. Parks don't just go down this route for fun after all, something drastic must have happened for this knee-jerk reaction.

Health & Safety Nanny State happened.

A small minority did something dumb, everybody else suffers as a result because risk assessment is incapable of using common sense, or someone needs more funding so has made up a new threat to justify it's installation.

They probably didn't put it down by the loading area because space will be tight there, imagine them trying to squeeze all that equipment into the bagging area on Swarm, never gonna happen.

Health & Safety Nanny State happened.

A small minority did something dumb, everybody else suffers as a result because risk assessment is incapable of using common sense, or someone needs more funding so has made up a new threat to justify it's installation.

They probably didn't put it down by the loading area because space will be tight there, imagine them trying to squeeze all that equipment into the bagging area on Swarm, never gonna happen.

Two separate incidents of guests being blinded on Dragons with a month. Yeah no biggie.

My guess this is the fallout of a the court cases or internal reviews.

You can't fix stupid, but what percentage of riders are those to people during that month? And why does an accident/thick redneck being inbred on one ride, cause another to install metal detectors?

I don't think you can really put a price on peoples lives Ian. Two people blinded for life. Any park would be forced to make changes, especially in America where sue culture runs rife.

I meant the dumb redneck was the person doing the throwing, not the injuries party.

I don't know the ride it relates to (the throwing), but why have a ride in the first place that encourages throwing of objects at passengers? Isn't that the equivilent of having a walkway overhanging stealth just before the elevation and saying to people feel free to spit on the people as they go under? Eventually someone will get hurt because someone will take it too far.

I'll ask again, how does this incident relate to the other ride having metal detectors installed? Surely it would be better to put the metal detectors on the ride that actually had the passengers blinded on?

Yesterday at Thorpe someone e looked to have been injuried on the bumping cars towards the end of the day, by following that logic it's the equivilent of putting extra padding on Colossus as a result of someone banging their head on the bumpers cars. Somebody please explain to me how an accident on one ride causes another to have metal detectors installed?

Well firstly the Dueling Dragons incident was where the two blinding incidents took place. When it happened back in 2011, the park stopped the rides duelling. Something else must have happened for the resorts four rollercoasters to now all have metal detectors placed in.

I'm amazed that you think Dueling Dragons encouraged coins to be thrown at the other trains. It was actually a technical masterpiece in which two different B&M inverters went round their own courses and on three encounters 'duelled' with each other. Pictures below.

Dueling%20Dragons8.jpg?m=1326327844

Dueling%20Dragons2.jpg?m=1326327804

Ian I think we need to throw a coin in your eye for you to understand! If you lost your sight at a theme park for the rest of your life, you'd expect something about the park's safety procedures to change, wouldn't you?

I think the metal detectors have something to do with guest safety in the queue lines too, not just when you eventually sit on the ride! Yes it's a pain not having your phone in the queue but I can see why they're doing it. Hopefully this means Dragon Challenge will duel once more!

It's not directly related to the incidents on Dragon. They happ ages ago. These metal detectors are purely trials. They did it on Rokit last week for a day and went back to not having them for a while. Universal are just seeing how it runs. If they are going to implement it permanently I'm sure they'll make it look less horrid than it does now.

The park says no loose items on rides, guests lose them and complain (happens at every Park) and then want it back so staff have to get them. It's annoying and I'm sure there is reason to it.

I think you guys need to read slower. I never said throwing coins was a good idea, I didn't know the ride you were referring to and the names you kept calling it indicated it was some sort fighting or dueling attraction between participants.

It also wasn't me who said the metal detectors were a result of the incidents, that was the answer given to me to justify their I introduction to the ride in the photos, I only questioned why an incident that you now say happened 4 years ago is the reason why metal detectors were introduced last week.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay the exterior of Kong is starting to look spectacular!

P1030786-1024x768.jpg

So imposing!

P1030740-1024x768.jpg

And menacing!

P1030746-768x1024.jpg

And huge!!!!!

P1030749-768x1024.jpg

Like really!

P1030765-1024x768.jpg

And they're starting around the other side now

P1030783-1024x768.jpg

From Jurassic.

(http://orlandoinformer.com/topic/989-king-kong-at-islands-of-adventure/page-16 all photos on here from member AliciaStella- well worth a follow this forum if you're interested in the project!)