Sign in to follow this  
Holly

University

Didn’t realise there was a topic on this so I may as well attempt to sort of revive it.

After having done 1st year Civil and Structural Engineering at Leeds, I decided it wasn’t the right course for me. This is because I wasn’t particularly enjoying it, I was really struggling to take in information during lectures (whilst did attend every lecture, it wouldn’t have made a difference if decided to bunk off most of them instead) and I didn’t take to it naturally unlike many other students who naturally enjoyed it and could take to it very well. I did manage to get 65% which was a huge shock (in a good way) that was mainly due to some insane cramming and was also dragged up by getting 85% in the maths module.

So instead I will be switching to Mathematics and repeating first year whilst still staying at Leeds because it’s an amazing city (and the music society is brilliant). Maths has always been my strongest subject, a subject I personally found easy (whilst still enjoyable at A Level) and have always been intrigued with as it gets more advanced. The maths lectures during first year engineering were also the only lectures I genuinely enjoyed so I’m pretty confident I will enjoy studying it a lot more than engineering.

So yeah... time to do first year for the second time!

Wooo, more Maths people on the forum! :D

I'm completely biased of course, but it's great to study it at uni. If it's your thing (which it sounds like it is), it can be really fun, and there's loads of different things to explore.  (If you ever need any help, just give me a shout!)

I started my PhD in maths in January, and I'm spending this week at a German uni studying some really fun maths too. Now if Brexit were to happen this week, would I be able to make a claim about being a UK student studying abroad and cling onto EU citizenship somehow..?  🤔

I also agree that Maths is a very transferable degree to have (also possibly biased there), and you have lots of options careers wise. You can go into all sorts like finance, technology, research/academia, and physics/engineering (I know of someone who works for mclaren who did a Maths BSc).

Of course degree level maths does get a lot harder than A-Level, but its much more fun and varied as well.

Good luck!