What rides can you go on with a bad back?

GladiatorFanKyle

Question

8 answers to this question

Most rides recommend that you don't ride of you have back problems.

It all depends on how severe the problem is. If it's more a niggle / twinge, she should be okay on most rides to be honest. If it's more, she should probably avoid some of the more forceful rides.

Tell her to take some painkillers with her and see how she feels on the day. Try some of the quieter rides first and go with the flow. :)

I have issues with my back and am often complaining about it (as a few members know and tell me :ninja: ) but I generally make sure that I take painkillers before I leave my house so that they're in full swing if you will by the time I'm at the park then I just take them at appropriate intervals throughout the day. I sit down a lot in queuelines too whenever I can, but if your friend thinks that she shouldn't do something then she should go with her instinct and not do it as it really can ruin your entire day! 

Very poor advice! Depending on what is meant by 'bad back', you can do yourself some very serious damage!

What you shouldn't do with a bad back is go on anything that is likely to have a jolt or sudden movement. This will include most rides! Anything with any harsh acceleration or braking either normally or under e stop, or anything rough - so basically all coasters, all water rides, detonator, rocky, dodgems, etc. Everything basically!  

I know people with bad backs that regularly ride coasters... It depends on the individual person as everyones back problem affects them differently on rides, hence parks put the warning there to cover themselves if someone went on with a bad back and there wasn't a warning.... I'm sure it could end up in court.

If your friend wants to try a ride its there choice and I wouldn't try and influence it just give them the best description as you can.

*raises hand for bad back sufferer*

As others have said it depend on what back problem your friend has, if it's anything vertabrea or disc related then some serious thinking needs to be done before riding.

My wife has a terrible back with lumbar spine osteoarthritis, she is OK on small stuff like the flying fish and Vampires, she can even do Loggers, but we just know anything than induces a lot of maintained g like Swarm or Colossus will leave her in agony for a month so she doesn't venture near them.

I'd recommend one of the flat rides first, like Rush, Vortex or Slammer, these rides are reasonably smooth in their operation but do include some g-force, so it'll allow your friend to ease themselves into things without subjecting themselves to the sudden changes in direction whilst under load that accompany the coasters, if they can take the g-forces of the flat rides without any discomfort, then they can start venturing onto the coasters, start with the flying fish, it might seem like a kiddy coaster but you do get chucked about quiet a bit.

But as has been said, it really depends on your friends condition, I fractured some vertebrae some 20 odd years ago and am fine to ride pretty much everything, but know others who did far less and cannot even sit in a car.

'raises hand also as a back pain sufferer'

What I do is take it as it comes. I avoid rides that I know will hurt my back (SAW and Colossus are both no no's for me a they are rough and vibration kills my back). X is sometimes (the stops can be harsh). Stealth can also be harsh for me, in the break run, so I avoid that if my back has been bad recently as it agrivates. Rumba can be dodgy too if its feeling particularly violent, so I only ride that if it is feeling particularly good. Detonator, regularly aggrivates it so I avoid that too most of the time. Samurai - which tends to throw my head around which exasperates any back pain that I have and I dont need to say anything about Dodgems. Jeez that sounds like I am avoiding lots, but when your on park it isn't. There are plenty of other rides

I personally have no problem on either of the B&M's (Swarm and Nemesis Inferno). I also have no problems on any of the other rides not mentioned above. Water rides are fun, Tea cups is brill, Rush (AKA swingythingy) is also good.

As Paige said, sitting down regularly is good and considering queue length is important. Long periods os standing in a slow queue is bad for your back.

But the important thing is not to overdo yourself. Get them to be wise with what they go on and be a friend if they say, I need to take a break, dont try and talk them into it. That doesn't mean everyone else cant go on whatever, just make sure that if its a long queue they arent left sitting alone for 2 hours. They will be thoroughly misserable after you get off, which will just make thier back worse (unless it is me being left and you leave me in a place selling beer, where I may be unintellegably singing when you come off).

My mother suffers from multiple pinched nerves and other things in her back which she has had for many years, and is finally making so progress in recovery. She cannot ride many roller coasters when we go around to parks, however she can do the swarm as due to the seat cushioning and the smoothness of the ride it is fine to her. But as others have said before, if your friend chooses to go on rides it is their choice.