Hyperia - New for 2024 (Ride thread)

1 hour ago, Inferno said:

I wish it had a third train 🙄

Even though Thorpe did this with Stealth (presumably after Towers struggled with Rita?), there's little point in parks buying in additional trains which very rarely see the light of day and might only be used in an emergency. 

Also additional work for the engineers who are already stretched thin as it is.

Definitely reasons why parks only have the minimum number of trains they can potentially run.

2 hours ago, MattL28 said:

Supposedly back open, if true. That’s amazing but only fuelled by the economic damage it would have brought if it was closed

Queue page on the app states closed all day. Still no update on the ride availability page. People will have travelled on the basis of that information.

3 hours ago, JoshC. said:

However, if the park choose to run it tonight but then keep it closed tomorrow, that is a huge kick in the teeth and absolutely not on. I hope they don't go down that path.

It would not surprise me if they do this. Get it open for the press then hide behind their T&Cs when it fails to open for guests.

57 minutes ago, Marc said:

I'm not really sure I think its stalling is weather related as such, it did the same in what June or July? I know it’s colder now but it’s no where near the weather conditions Mack say it can operate in. What is strange is how the ride can be running all day, shutdown and empty trains look like they are close to stalling.

Exactly this - very odd, considering the ride does seem to get faster as the day goes on....? Odd.

1 hour ago, Coaster_Contrarian said:

Queue page on the app states closed all day. Still no update on the ride availability page. People will have travelled on the basis of that information.

It would not surprise me if they do this. Get it open for the press then hide behind their T&Cs when it fails to open for guests.

I’d be very surprised if they did this - I can’t think of a time when a ride has opened for press and then they’ve chosen to close it again for normal guests. As frustrating as it is, I’m certain the park are the ones most frustrated about Hyperia being down.

Agreed - if they can get it open and can limp through tonight on one train, there’s no reason they can’t do the same tomorrow - all the staff etc will be there anyway I assume, there’s no reason not to run it, until the time comes to cycle the other train round to test.

I do feel for everyone working at Thorpe though. There’s nothing they could have done about this, and clearly they’re working bloody hard to try to keep things going.

I'm seeing ads for “Hyperia in the dark” on instagram today - it sucks for everyone involved that this is happening.

With surprise things like this, I imagine it involves people working overtime etc? I can’t imagine there’s a lot of time for things like this as part of the BAU! 

I’m sure they’ll have it back up very quickly.

And shes back open! Fair play to them for getting it back open so quick.

Will be interesting to see how they go about getting it back on 2 trains. Maybe open slightly later tomorrow with testing in the morning? But no idea how long it'll take them to get it back on the circuit and do relevant checks.

4 hours ago, Coaster_Contrarian said:

That may be, but I'm more concerned for the experience of the paying guests.

As are the park - the last car was lifted off the track at around 4pm this afternoon - unfortunately not giving enough time to open for the day guests but I’ve no doubt if it had been a 6 or later close it would have opened!

4 hours ago, Cal said:

And shes back open! Fair play to them for getting it back open so quick.

Will be interesting to see how they go about getting it back on 2 trains. Maybe open slightly later tomorrow with testing in the morning? But no idea how long it'll take them to get it back on the circuit and do relevant checks.

The stalled train isn’t in the maintenance shed as of around 10pm tonight, I would guess they would hopefully be able to get it over there tomorrow and work on building it up tomorrow, I guess as you say the issue is when they can test it before the weekend!

3 hours ago, Coaster_Contrarian said:

Hopefully it stays open tomorrow. Will really leave a bitter taste if it's closed.

Im not sure why it would be closed, assuming there’s no issues with it testing tomorrow I’m certain it will be open!

Got to the park in the afternoon yesterday. Hyperia was having issues and had a queue evac and was down for around 3.5 hours. Maybe an issue with the train as they removed the train at one point so no train was on the circuit.

Spoke to quite a few unhappy people yesterday who waited over 2.5 hours and didn't even get given a priority pass to get back on. Seems some people did and some didn't. 

Really disagree with them selling Fasttrack on 1 train though, especially with the amount of RAP too. Yesterday the RAP, SRQ and Fasttrack queues were all full at the entrance. Even right now, they're selling Fasttrack and the queue is advertised at 240 minutes. 

Credit where credit is due though, they were smashing the trains out as per. I expected them to close the queue fairly early yesterday but they didn't close it till 9pm. I assume this was due to the issues it had earlier in the day? It was running gone 10:30pm...

On 10/5/2024 at 1:59 PM, Cal said:

Spoke to quite a few unhappy people yesterday who waited over 2.5 hours and didn't even get given a priority pass to get back on. Seems some people did and some didn't.

That's just isn't good enough, really.

I hope they get the second train back on the track soon. 3-4hr queues is not good from a guest experience perspective. Surely this is unsustainable.

I’m half surprised it’s not already back on 2 - I suspect the problem with it being fright nights is they don’t really have time to run the rebuilt train for test cycles, when it’s running till 10:30 or later, they probably are not really willing to risk running the train again that late when it’s even cooler so hopefully with a few non fright night days they can get it back up to 2.

As for fastrack it did seem to be an issue on the Friday but I think 90% of the people in the fastrack queue were actually priority passes from its evac, today even though fastrack was on sale it never really seemed to have a queue - RAP was probably a hour + though at around 8 being full.

12 hours ago, Coaster_Contrarian said:

I hope they get the second train back on the track soon. 3-4hr queues is not good from a guest experience perspective. Surely this is unsustainable.

Awwww, it's like the late 2000s all over again ❤️

Thorpe really should have bought three trains to ensure that when one is unavailable, they still have two serviceable ones.

They cheaped out and guest experience has taken a massive hit during one of their busiest periods; but it's okay, because they've used it as an opportunity to sell more Fastrack.  And so continues the mediocrity.

To be fair I can understand why they would go with 2 trains - as good as 3 would have been, I can’t think of many companies that would spend more money on something than they absolutely have to.  This situation is also totally out of their control really, so one train for a short period of time isn’t too bad realistically.

it sucks, but it’s understandable.

What annoys me is that Fastrack is still being sold during this time…  on the busiest days of the season, with one train on the new coaster….. come on. There should be a total stop to fastrack sales for Hyperia until it’s back on 2 trains.

When things happen outside of your control, fine.

but they can control Fastrack sales, and have chosen not to bother.  That’s poor.

So weird that people are going on about "should've bought 3 trains" when it is not a regular thing for any park in the world to do. Parks 99% of the time will only buy enough to fit on the respective block brakes. 

Why stop at 3? Get 4 trains on it, spend more money on a larger maintenance shed area instead. Problem solved.

51 minutes ago, Benin said:

So weird that people are going on about "should've bought 3 trains"

There are plenty of similar scale rides around the world with MCBRs running 3 trains, and even some without which have 3 trains - one of which is about 200 meters away from Hyperia.

In fact when the plans were released there was some small degree of disappointment for some that it didn't have an MCBR.

There's no denying that building an expensive flagship ride of this scale with built-in resilience for unforeseen things like this (and regular planned maintenance) would be a good thing - 2 trains running on a layout that can support 3 is better than 1 on a layout that can support 2.

I do agree, 2 is fair enough for Hyperia, and there's little point paying so much more for an extra one - but given the height of Hyperia, support for a 3 train operation through a slightly longer layout and a MCBR would have been fantastic, and would almost completely eliminate the impact of things like this, not to mention the drastically reduced queue times ("queueing ruined my day" KPI anyone?)

57 minutes ago, Benin said:

So weird that people are going on about "should've bought 3 trains" when it is not a regular thing for any park in the world to do. Parks 99% of the time will only buy enough to fit on the respective block brakes. 

Why stop at 3? Get 4 trains on it, spend more money on a larger maintenance shed area instead. Problem solved.

I'm pretty sure Thorpe originally bought 3 trains for Stealth for this exact reason?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my opinion, Hyperias layout doesn't support the need for 3 trains, they just need to sort out the time it takes on the break run. 

Look at Thirteen. The train practically launches you back into the station. Wardly spoke to Intamin and made sure the trains get back into the station as quickly as possible to achieve a decent throughput. Why wasn't the same thing done for Hyperia? 

1 train ops are even more painful when it takes 30+ seconds for the train to crawl back into the station. 

Having a third train as a spare is a different matter though. Would it actually make any difference in situations like this as surely it would be stripped/having its winter maintenance done anyway?

Buying and maintaining a third train and keeping it readily available when it isn't needed is a huge expense which isn't entirely necessary