Efteling

Cringle

• 3 weeks later...

Designs have leaked for Efteling's new hotel by The House of The Five Senses.

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/185...n-nieuw-hotelcomplex-bij-Efteling-entree.html

image.thumb.png.220ef2a660afa81b5a488f050897a5a5.png

I think this looks great though at the same time... it does take away from the House of The Five Senses somewhat?

Edited by CineramaMax
To add a screenshot from the above link

It seems that some inspiration was taken from Disneyland Paris, given this will be a ‘lucrative’ hotel right by the entrance. All gone full circle. 

Judging from the concept, it does look very pretty and should further enhance the area if carried out as planned. 

The thing I want to know is if they any plans for the Efteling hotel? As both appear very similar in their design and function. 

• 5 weeks later...

In a surprising yet unexpected position, it has been confirmed that Efteling will be removing their Spookslot (Haunted House) attraction after the summer season. It will make way for a brand new indoor attraction (presumably a dark ride). 

Source-https://www-looopings-nl.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Whilst not everyone’s cup of tea with some left a little confused by the attraction, I find this news rather saddening. Sure it wasn’t the best thing there, but it had much charm, character and history. It will be missed! 

https://youtu.be/1YQlUKLcYcI

Here's the official news: https://www.efteling.com/nl/blog/nieuws/20220124-nieuw-hotel-en-vernieuwd-themagebied-in-2024

So we'll get a new attraction opening in 2024, with a throughput of 1250pph, as well as some sort of 'theme world', which makes me think this investment might see more than just the attraction. No news on what the attraction is yet, and I'm still a little hesitant to refer to it as a ride just yet. The park will spend 25 million euros on this new investment (for comparison, Symbolica was 35 million)

The park will also open a new hotel in 2024, next to the main entrance, so that it will overlook Aquanura (the water show) and the Fairytale Forest. It will have 7 floors, 143 rooms, 2 restaurants and a spa, and represents a 50 million euro investment. For comparison, the most recent hotel offering (Loonsche Land) cost 30 million euros, and the previous (Bosrijk village) cost 52 million euros, but both of those have pretty substantial outdoor bits too, which seems less like with this hotel.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Efteling have shared their first teaser for the Spookslot replacement:

It will be called Danse Macabre, which is also the name of the song from Spookslot (and used in the video above), and is set to open in 2024; the same year as the new hotel.

That video is the darkest thing I've ever seen out of Efteling, so will be interesting how far they go with the theme and style, whilst remaining family friendly. 

7 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

That video is the darkest thing I've ever seen out of Efteling, so will be interesting how far they go with the theme and style, whilst remaining family friendly. 

Considering the original Spookslot had a hanged man in it... That video isn't much.

Seems to be more of an update of the original based on that clip rather than something brand new? But might be more paying homage to it rather than anything.

All in all I see this being a great move for the park.

Spookslot may be an aging attraction and dated by Symbolica standards, but it is a huge part of the parks heritage. So to see Efteling move for a newer dark ride whilst keeping the theme of Spookslot just sounds a win in the sense of keeping the park moving with the times whilst also preserving park heritage.

The way forward for this new attraction definitely looks the best one the park could opt for. 

By opening an attraction which works on the strengths  character of the original, whilst utilising the advancements in technology. This seems an excellent decision IMO. 

It’s pretty clear the original attraction is on it’s last legs and needs a renovation now. And given development hiccups and it’s low KPI, a modernised replacement seemed imminent. 

The original was very dark indeed, with demons, religious figures and even a hanging corpse. That’s Spookslot!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Benin said:

Efteling replacing the often broken water curtain effect on Dutchman with some physical effects/props. 

A positive move for Efteling as frankly, on my last two visits the ride was in diabolical condition and in particular this scene. So hopefully this move makes for a more reliable and efficient show section as opposed to being a dark ride full of broken effects*.

*I can get that at Chessington or Pleasure Beach without the need to travel abroad quite frankly

• 3 months later...

So, I went back to Efteling for an express visit after all this time. 

The park was looking great in some areas, but maybe less-so in others. The entrance, Danse Macabre, fairy tale forest segments and other pathways were closed. We were also spited Baron (darn).

Main notable changes being the addition of  Max & Moritz. These were fun and whacky rides, not the best powered coasters by any means but they fit the park. I do like the interaction in the station though. 

The new scene In Dutchman works perfectly well, I can’t remember for the top of me what the old one was like, given it’s been six years since my last ride. But I liked it. The new track on Joris doesn’t feel different, although the operations  didn’t seem to be great. The Sinbad retheme looks ok, however I didn’t understand what they were trying to do with the Six Swans in the fairy tale forest. 

Now, the dark rides. Fata Morgana was just blissful to ride again, I love its mysterious atmosphere. Symbolica was great too and it was nice to see Carnaval after its changes. Droomvlucht looked much more refreshed and updated from its refurbishment and it’s amazing how popular that ride really is. 

Managed another meal Polle’s, fantastic as always and a daytime showing of Aquanura. Was pleasant but is far more effective at night.

I do like Efteling, it’s a very charming park and can be enjoyable if you aren’t one for thrilling coasters. As much as I enjoy aspects of this park, It will likely be some time before I return here again. Even with Danse Macabre opening next year.