Efteling

Cringle

Another excellent park in Europe, although its mainly a family park, the amount of effort that goes into everything is awsome. They built a new water coaster in 2006 called 'Vliegende Hollander' (which traslates as 'The Flying Dutchman), but it kept valleying and had so many problems so it didnt actually open at all in 2006 and hopefully it will be open in 2007.Here are some photos from my visit this year.

I remember reading about that water coaster a while back. There was an article about it somewhere, saying that each aspect of the ride had been given to a different manufactureer.This meant to bad communication problems and as a result led to mis- calculations ect.The park looks very cute though. I like these smaller parks. They don't seem to have "we are owned by a corperate company" written all over them.

Small... haha. If only. Its bigger than Alton Towers by a long shot! but it is very cute. Great for the Kids.Apparently the Efteling is really fussy and want things done their way resulting in disputes with the manufactures, which is why I think they had to end up with a Kumbak Water Coaster Prototype as opposed to a tried and tested Mack Water Coaster, and things generally went down hill from there really. Asthetically its perfection though. My grandad went on the Bobbahn!EDIT: and to add to the maddness, I've just read that intamin have been hired to sort out the problems with the lift hill on Vliegende Hollander. -_-

Edited by Cringle

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can't really elaborate right now. But. Flying Dutchman is the actual sex. Not really a huge coaster - but the special effects are absolutly incredible, esspecially if its your first time riding. A full report when I get back from the Netherlands, but right now I am being ushered out of my cousins house to go ride a bike. yay!oh and I get to ride another booster tonight in the town center, there is some festival going on. must dash. love to you all and I hope you all be good. tot ziens!

• 4 weeks later...

^ Wow, I never really finished that report. :P - Never Mind. It was amazing. la.Moving on, I dunno if you have heard, but the Python coaster at the efteling had a near miss recently when evacuating the train which had apparently got stuck on the lift hill. The train had breached the peak of the hill, but not full, thus still getting stuck on the train. The ride team, obviously following procedure on evacuations, had begun unloading from the back. The weight of the train had decreased as they unloaded the passengers and the front of the train which had breached the top was heavier resulting in the train starting to move forwards and over the threshold of the hill starting its way around the circuit - mid evacuation.Must have been very unnerving for the front row riders, but still safe I believe. You can see in the video the ride attendant diving out the way as it began to move. Scary. Linkage to Story and Video

• 1 year later...
*Gives loving topic bump*I went to Efteling ages ago, and it is one of the most beautiful parks I have ever been to! Methinks it was 2002, or '04 as I visited America between there. Anyway, unlike some theme parks I had been to before, it was very authentic and virtually no tackiness, or litter anywhere!It was basically a fairy tale mix of Alton Towers and Disneyland Paris, with no litter. Does anybody remember Vogel Rok? :)

• 5 years later...

Had an amazing trip to Efteling last weekend. Here is the ride count:

Joris en de draak x2

De Vliegende Hollander x2

Python x1

Bobban x1

Vogel Rok x1

Piranha x2

Villa Volta x1

Carnival Festival x2

Dream flight x1

Pagoda x1

Fata Morgana x1

Queue Times in order of when I went on the ride:

Joris en de draak: 0 minutes and 10 minutes

De Vliegende Hollander: 10 minutes and 30 minutes

Python: 5 minutes

Bobban: 15 minutes

Vogel Rok: 0 minutes

Piranha: 0 minutes both times

Pagoda: 10 minutes

Carnival Festival: 0 minutes both times

Fata Morgana: 5 minutes

Dream Flight: 10 minutes

Villa Volta: 10 minutes

I wish Thorpe Park was like that!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bd.nl/regio/tilburg-en-omgeving/loon-op-zand/efteling-bouwt-nieuwe-achtbaan-met-val-van-37-5-meter-en-investeert-36-miljoen-1.4320839 - An article about this, which can be translated to give some vaguely understandable English (darn Google Translate...). Looks like they're also getting 400 more rooms in a hotel extension.

By 2020, the park wants 5 million visitors as well, and this 'first stage' to achieving that has an investment of almost £30 million.

Looking forward to how the park theme this more than anything else to be honest!

• 2 weeks later...

New Attraction update! The application is sent with technical drawing of the location of the roller coaster.

BmdihGWIcAAq1TM.png

From Efteling's Twitter (with the help of Google Translate).

Rather short coaster to say the least. Considering the budget though, imagine the theming opportunities!

• 3 months later...

In case anyone is a bit confused, the layout previously posted were confirmed over Efteling's Facebook to not be the official ones, but more to show the location of the coaster.  The exact quote was:

Please note, this drawing shows the location of the new pure roller coaster again. The exact shape and size is not displayed here.

(Sourced from Towers Street).

So we have no idea on the layout - exciting times!