Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

• 4 months later...

Really looking forward to this as I just LOVE Wallace & Gromit. However I notice it also said Mine Ride. Which got me thinking...

Is this replacing that mine train ride that goes inside that restaurant, above that calm boat ride?

Yes, yes it is... River Caves was really weird last year as a result of this, as the caverns section was blocked off by fabric based theming...

And was my bad joke REALLY that bad enough to warrant removal? It wasn't even spam but topical to the theme of the ride :(

You have no deleted content for the last two days, you sure it was here you posted it...

This should be excellent if they've done the IP justice. Wallace and Gromit is so full of humour in every little detail, if they've pack the ride with that I'll be happy. Bout time I went to Blackpool again too, it's been some years.

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't already, I would reccomend going to Pleasure Beach Experience to see all the latest updates for the new Wallace and Gromit ride that is opening on the 24th April.
- The ride is open during the Easter holidays, but on a limited throughput I believe -

http://www.pleasurebeachexperience.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2586&start=350

(I do not take credit for these photos)

:)

It looks a bit...

Meh?

I guess I was expecting an unique storyline, rather than a tour of certain scenes from the shorts and film... To that level, it's slightly disappointing...

On the plus side, the scenes they have look exceptionally well done, and whilst have some staticness to a few of the characters, has a LOT more moving components than most (if not all) Merlin dark rides...

I'm sure it'll be a well-received ride...

The thrill-o-matic looks, okay, the scenes are really well good like what's already been said, but I really don't feel it's particular innovative nor does it really go anywhere, it's just a tour of scenes, and 'Thrill-o-Matic' suggests otherwise. I was expecting something else like an extension on the story but I haven't ridden it so I haven't been able to take in the atmosphere of the ride itself.

Looks okay. The scenes there look very well done Iam disapointed however the ride is pretty much a cluster of big scenes from the series as I was hoping for some sort of unique W&G tour where Wallace shows us some sort of working device or project, something goes wrong in the middle and then its resolved at the end.

Rode Thrill-o-matic yesterday....hmmm. huh.gif

I'll start by admiting I have never watched Wallace and Gromit in my life, so I know nothing about the story(s)/adventures they get up to.

I thought a lot of effort had gone into making it work, however it lacks any consistant story throughout the ride, to someone like me, its all very randomly placed anomatronics with the same handfull of characters not really progressing at all.

The bueatie of the Gold Mine is it was a generic theme, it was set in the past as as such, never dated (something thats already set in the past will never look out of date, be it 1970, 2012 or 2060) I'll be amazed if this is still going in 20 years time. However, its meant to deal wih the parks customers TODAY not in 20years time, and that I think it will do well.

I rate the ride 7/10, around the same as I would have the Gold Mine, however my ridership on that attraction will drop considerabley. Where as the Gold Mine was a ride I did on almost every visit to the park, this will appear on my ride count about as often as Alice In wonderland (2-3 a year)

Ash

Is The Big One any good ?

Nope, like most big rides, it suffers from great first drop, dull rest of layout syndrome... See also most Intamin Hypers...

Only ride Alice 2-3 times a year? After my first go on it last year it's turned into a must ride whenever I visit it <3

Rode Thrill-o-matic yesterday....hmmm. huh.gif

I'll start by admiting I have never watched Wallace and Gromit in my life, so I know nothing about the story(s)/adventures they get up to.

shocked-cat-o.gif

Might go just for Wallace and Gromit tbh. Good old British sense of humour.

Is The Big One any good ?

It goes down to opinion. Nobody can state that it is "good" or "bad", they can only give their own opinion.

Personally I think it is fantastic - my favourite rollercoaster and much better than anything at Thorpe Park or Alton Towers.

The first minute of the ride is world class. The first drop is absoloutley amazing, and the build up to it is all part of the experience.

I like the rest of the ride, whilst it doesn't have the sheer intensity of the first drop it is still great fun, and if it is not a windy day then you are still travelling at a very fast speed so it's very thrilling.

The drops being flat doesn't affect the ride experience too much in my opinion, although some people beg to differ.

So yeah, in my opinion it is a world class coaster and worth the trip to Blackpool to ride it.

It goes down to opinion. Nobody can state that it is "good" or "bad", they can only give their own opinion.

Personally I think it is fantastic - my favourite rollercoaster and much better than anything at Thorpe Park or Alton Towers.

The first minute of the ride is world class. From the tension on the lift hill lasting almost a minute to that second where you crest the top and go over what is the best first drop on any ride (imo)...

I like the rest of the ride, whilst it doesn't have the sheer intensity of the first drop it is still great fun, and if it is not a windy day then you are still travelling at a very fast speed so it's very thrilling.

The drops being flat doesn't affect the ride experience too much in my opinion, although some people beg to differ.

So yeah, in my opinion it is a world class coaster and worth the trip to Blackpool to ride it.

On a personal level, I could never really count a ride's lift hill alone as world class... Especially when the reasoning for it being such is a trait shared by all other hyper coasters (and some other ride types as well)...