Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

a bit random.... but on valhalla, once you go into the building, on the first lift hill, is anything supposed to happen, as I could smell gas, and somewhat remember something happened there?

and liked the big drops, but never realised how pointless the backwards drop is...

Aside from the barking dogs and viking figure, there are supposed to be two "beacons" or fire that are just on all the time (near the wolf's head) but they don't always work.

Then of course there's the massive projected viking on the way up that shouts at you, I hope that was working!

My favourite ride :D

Also, I like the backwards drop, but it would be better if the blackout for it was a few metres longer (so it was in total darkness rather than dropping through the door).

Aside from the barking dogs and viking figure, there are supposed to be two "beacons" or fire that are just on all the time (near the wolf's head) but they don't always work.

Then of course there's the massive projected viking on the way up that shouts at you, I hope that was working!

My favourite ride :D

Also, I like the backwards drop, but it would be better if the blackout for it was a few metres longer (so it was in total darkness rather than dropping through the door).

it was just pitch black on the first lift hill... the rest of the ride seemed fine, although the water fountain tunnel section was lit up with floodlights so you could see it was a warehouse, and meant you could see it a bit further around the ride at the last section with the fire explosions.

it was just pitch black on the first lift hill... the rest of the ride seemed fine, although the water fountain tunnel section was lit up with floodlights so you could see it was a warehouse, and meant you could see it a bit further around the ride at the last section with the fire explosions.

Oh dear, I thought the ride was doing well when I rode it back in April! :lol:

I wish they'd look at maintaining the effects more - I know it's really complex (without a doubt the most complex dark ride in the UK) but things like the projection on the first lift hill really add to the experience.

Not sure why there were floodlights on - they are on occasionally, but usually if you go again afterwards they will be off. Maybe just for routine checks?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would throw it out there - Blackpool Pleasure Beach season passes are currently on sale for £89 (usually £189!)

I don't know how long this will last for, but I just thought I would make it known.

https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/book-online/season-pass/platinum+pass+2014/2761/

I've got mine ordered and am getting it for Christmas - I live over 5 hours away but am going to go to Blackpool for a week in April!

• 1 month later...

the floodlights/lights looked like they were just intended to light up the water fountain bit, but lit up everything as well and sorta ruined the experience... and the waterfall out the front wasn't working :/

Presuming that it was like this -

That's not how it's meant to be.

I have heard that it is getting some internal work over closed season so hopefully they are going to sort this - I'm not sure how it's got into this state though because it was perfectly fine when I rode it in April.

anyone done the Mitch Hawkers wooden coaster poll and put your votes in for the blackpool ones!?

I did vote Megafobia and Magnus Colossus (Terra Mitica - Spain) over the BPB ones though... that's about the only wooden ones I've ridden besides gwazi at busch all the way back in 2005 which I just remember coming off with a headache!

Just a bare industrial warehouse look, nothing majorly exciting...

It's the only ride I've been evacd on most of the blocks on the system.

Some days she'll run fine then others she'll shutdown after each restart and just be a general pain

I'll visit her again in April... :)

Ah cool, I have seen some inside pictures and I think it's amazing how different it looks in the light.

I have heard that some internal work is planned this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I see BPB are exaggerating the figures of Big ones speed...

False claims are something that I do not approve of, but to be honest it's no worse than Alton Towers claiming Air to be the world's first flying coaster (it's not) or Oblivion as the world's first vertical drop coaster (it doesn't go vertical).

To be honest the claims on the Big One are debatable, on days with absolutely no wind it has been known to reach 85 mph.

False claims are something that I do not approve of, but to be honest it's no worse than Alton Towers claiming Air to be the world's first flying coaster (it's not) or Oblivion as the world's first vertical drop coaster (it doesn't go vertical).

To be honest the claims on the Big One are debatable, on days with absolutely no wind it has been known to reach 85 mph.

So a ride with a 50ft or so larger drop (shambhala) is some how 2mph slower then Big one? Because that makes sense... #BPBlogic. Plus with air it was the world's first of that type (B&M) and that is what they were getting at.