Disneyland Paris

James6

Always great to see an expansion at Disney! Three lands really shows they're going for it! :D

In other news, while what's been happening inside is still unknown (although let's be honest it'll likely be the same treatment the Haunted Mansion received in 2015), the refurbishment of Phantom Manor is rapidly escalating on the outside.

DU9Mv_1XUAEKhFz.jpg

(ED92 on Twitter)

...aaaand POOF. The whole of Ravenswood Manor disappears behind a mess of scaffolding! How ghostly...

DWlGK3IXkAAPbN4.jpg

(FeedYeti)

Meanwhile, Disney have done their usual sketch and themed signs have appeared around the site. :)

Disneyland-Paris-Phantom-Manor-Refurbish

(TravelToTheMagic)

Lots happening at Disney this month! :D

13 hours ago, ste193 said:

Glad to see such expansion for Disneyland Paris finally, just wish Disney as a whole would start doing more Unique attractions. I guess you can argue that not everyone can get to other parks around the world but if you can there's not really any reason to go to Disneyland Paris. 

Star wars land is basically going to be at every single other park Disney has and so it seems Marvel will to and Frozen land is coming to some parks as well, I wish they would do more unique things like they did with Ratatouille as if every park is pretty much for those of us who can go to America or Asian parks there's nothing different to draw your attention to Paris.

I'd imagine its an incredibly rare thing for someone to have done all six Disney resorts. I also think you do Paris a disservice, it has some of the more unique versions of attractions and has a handful of rides/attractions you can't find anywhere else.

I'm excited for the expansion, I though the days of Paris getting anything were decades away. For it to get the three big hitters is just a sign that Disney owning Paris will pay dividends very quickly. Even more positive, none of these Disney subsidiaries will be in the Disneyland Parc. I still don't like how Star Wars and Pixar are being pushed on the parks at California.

8 hours ago, Mark9 said:

I'd imagine its an incredibly rare thing for someone to have done all six Disney resorts. I also think you do Paris a disservice, it has some of the more unique versions of attractions and has a handful of rides/attractions you can't find anywhere else.

I'm excited for the expansion, I though the days of Paris getting anything were decades away. For it to get the three big hitters is just a sign that Disney owning Paris will pay dividends very quickly. Even more positive, none of these Disney subsidiaries will be in the Disneyland Parc. I still don't like how Star Wars and Pixar are being pushed on the parks at California.

That is very true I would assume it would be incredibly rare for someone to have done all six parks, however with these 3 new lands you could to go to Florida shall we say which a fair amount of people do go to and apart from the Frozen land, there is the Frozen attraction but not as grand as the Frozen Land coming to Paris, these additions are all there as well as at the others parks as well.

I think its probably more wishing on my part to be honest but it seems odd that the parks outside of America replicate all the attractions of America, it would be nice to see Euro Disneyland have more European based attractions on European inspired Disney films I.e a Beauty and the beast land as were in Paris, or hunch back of Notre dame ride etc

I feel they are missing a trick in that respect if they had more big unique attractions it would give people more incentive to stick closer to home than go to say Florida etc 

13 minutes ago, ste193 said:

That is very true I would assume it would be incredibly rare for someone to have done all six parks, however with these 3 new lands you could to go to Florida shall we say which a fair amount of people do go to and apart from the Frozen land, there is the Frozen attraction but not as grand as the Frozen Land coming to Paris, these additions are all there as well as at the others parks as well.

I think its probably more wishing on my part to be honest but it seems odd that the parks outside of America replicate all the attractions of America, it would be nice to see Euro Disneyland have more European based attractions on European inspired Disney films I.e a Beauty and the beast land as were in Paris, or hunch back of Notre dame ride etc

I feel they are missing a trick in that respect if they had more big unique attractions it would give people more incentive to stick closer to home than go to say Florida etc 

Like Ratatouille? Which is going to Epcot...

Star Wars is about the only definite clone from the States, Frozen Land looks like what was meant to be going into DisneySea (and has gone quiet since announced), and Marvel is potentially a weird mix, we're definitely not getting Guardians of the Tower of Breakout, or likely to get the Guardians cred going into Epcot; so beyond the Iron Man RnRC retheme and the stunt show replacement I don't know what we might get that'd you'll find in America... Someone has mooted the Ant Man shooting ride coming into Hong Kong but without any solid concrete announcements we don't actually know if there will be much cloning going on...

3 hours ago, ste193 said:

You could argue that not everyone can afford to go to Disney World, whereas Disneyland Paris is relatively affordable (relatively being the key word here) and easy to get to for a lot of Europeans. 

5 hours ago, Benin said:

Like Ratatouille? Which is going to Epcot...

Star Wars is about the only definite clone from the States, Frozen Land looks like what was meant to be going into DisneySea (and has gone quiet since announced), and Marvel is potentially a weird mix, we're definitely not getting Guardians of the Tower of Breakout, or likely to get the Guardians cred going into Epcot; so beyond the Iron Man RnRC retheme and the stunt show replacement I don't know what we might get that'd you'll find in America... Someone has mooted the Ant Man shooting ride coming into Hong Kong but without any solid concrete announcements we don't actually know if there will be much cloning going on...

That is a good point we don't know for certain what is going into these new lands yet so I am just assuming currently, its more the fact for me personally that I would stay Paris doesn't really have any stand out features/attractions to me compared to when I went to Florida or Tokyo and sadly for me the only reason I would go again would simply be for proximity there is very little there that draws me in only ratatouille and crush's coaster. 

Though as you said ratatouille is now being built over in Epcot, I did notice how many Americans were there all because of Ratatouille on my visit wearing branded t-shirts and the like and talking in the queue about how cool it was to have something different here to go on, kind of feels like with that circumstance changing they will lose out on people. Granted its probably a small percentage but for the least visited Disney every little helps. 

On a side not I hadn't heard the Ant man ride idea that sounds awesome and I'm glad there not changing tower of terror, to much.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it just me who remembers the little exit walkthrough after It’s A Small World? It seems to have been demolished in the last 10 years, but I remember it always felt quite iconic as you walked round the little houses and buildings with screens inside that showed little videos. 

You had to go through it to exit the ride so it couldn’t be missed, and it left an extra sprinkle of magic to the experience (the large Hogwarts model in WBST London actually still reminds me of this scenic walkthrough).

I’m not mortified that it’s gone but I don’t think it’s been replaced with anything else... last time I rode, the exit was just another outdoor pathway with railings. 

What ever became of it (why was it removed)? And what stands in its place now?

*UPDATE*

I found an old photo of this room, attached. So it definitely existed! You can see people looking into the little windows at the screens in the houses.

IMG_1640.jpg

Edited by terrortomb
To add my photo of the room

Wow never realised this actually used to exist,which seems like neat but pleasant little extra after the ride. Shame they got rid of it.

I believe it was sometime around 2011 when this was removed and the exit re-routed with a more simpler generic one. The old building has become the Princess Pavillion Meet and Greet area now, as I’m aware.

• 1 month later...

The park had a rather frank 'InsiderEars' presentation last night with some interesting things announced.

- Ratatouille will be closing for three months for building works. There's subsidence.

- The pipe that supplies the smoke at Big Thunder Mountain has a leak and they are working on a solution. The ride is running faster then pre-refurbishment.

- The Mark Twain riverboat will be returning to operation in 2020. It's been in dry dock since 2011

- Philarmagic will be opening in Discoveryland theatre in October. 

- A new Phantom Manor float will be added to the Halloween parade this year. It will feature three different dressed Micky Mouses

- Phantom Manor will be returning in the 'Fall' with a slightly retooled storyline. The whole thing is being refurbished top to bottom with new effects.

I'm personally really excited for Philarmagic, it's one of the more under-rated attractions in Florida and I never leave a showing without a smile. DLP really is on the up at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 8:51 AM, Mark9 said:

- Phantom Manor will be returning in the 'Fall' with a slightly retooled storyline. The whole thing is being refurbished top to bottom with new effects.

Hopefully this means the actual context of the story won't be changing but it's rather made a little easier to understand through the experience inside the building (considering the complexity of it, given it has a written version). Hopefully the Vincent Price voiceover will be incorporated but who knows.

Music deserves some love too, whether the score remains the same just with updated sound systems or the whole thing is remastered, hopefully it'll remain in its current glory...or better! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

At the weekend I attended the first ever FanDaze event at studio park. The idea behind this was to thank (get money out of) the fans for their love for DLP and to do this they threw out loads of rare characters like Llama Kuzco from Emperors new Groove or Quasimodo from Hunchback of Notre Dame, had loads of one night only parades and shows, had the worlds first introduction of Ortensia from the 1920's Oswald shorts, an imagineer talk and so forth. I think this may be one of the best Disney trips I've ever had with DLP looking the best it ever has and some of the best Disney shows I've ever seen. Max Live was an outstanding show and well worth a youtube search.

IMG_7920.thumb.JPG.323578c15f3a128b1982a67d4f60e81d.JPG

IMG_7967.thumb.JPG.96788b8fac337f9a852e287913c1fc2c.JPG

IMG_7977.thumb.JPG.bbab8fff98431fd2a14d67146d03d033.JPG

We attended the imagineer talk where it was confirmed that Vincent Price's original narration for Phantom Manor will be returning in some form. He also spoke about the Studio Park expansion, how the place is basically boomerang shaped and lacks vital Disney DNA which they hope to add through Star Wars, Marvel and a new icon of the park, the castle from Frozen.

It was an amazing event to be honest and we managed to meet the head of DLP Catherine Powell before she takes over her new role as head of Western Disney parks.

IMG_7916.thumb.JPG.289369ecc342a20092df0328d0fb8eee.JPG

• 2 months later...

This was uploaded a while back but this is some very interesting footage from a talk by Disney Imagineering on the Phantom Manor revamp...and by the looks of things it's been confirmed that the original dialogue by Vincent Price is going to be incorporated after all! It's also very interesting to hear that the true identity of the Phantom could be made more clear following the revamp. :)

• 1 month later...

Whilst the American Disney parks are cutting things left right and centre and increasing prices, Disneyland Paris just seems to be adding more and more. I was impressed by my visit at just how alive the place seems compared to my first visit in 2013. The new Halloween parade is a slightly retooled version of the one that last appeared in 2016 but it feels more dynamic with the calvacade stopping in the Hub for a small dance off. The new Mickeys Illusion Mansion float is amazing with three different Mickeys appearing through doors.

Philarmagic was also an excellent addition to Discoveryland and sure it doesn't fit the Jules Verne theme, neither does Star wars.

It's exactly the same with one big difference. I've seen fan outrage about this as is always the way with these things. But the way I see it, it's in a space that wasn't used before, its bringing people down to that area of the park and it's an incredibly enjoyable show.

• 9 months later...

Few details about the 2019 Halloween season:

September 28th to November 3rd 2019

23ECA1FB-AA61-4652-A2EB-0DAFC5FC6DFD.jpeg.88805d96031a8bb49e005d42f624f0b4.jpeg

The Halloween season at Disneyland Paris will give guests plenty of frights and laughs as they enjoy the unique atmosphere at Disneyland® Paris, with a new show and updated attractions.

This year, Disney Villains taking over Disneyland Paris will be joined by Ursula, the wicked sea witch. Mickey and Friends will be there, too: there’ll be a hint of evil about them too for guests who dare to brave them.

Disney Villains in a new show
Disney Villains always have a few surprises in store for guests in the Halloween season, and this year they will be joined in a new show by Ursula, the devilish sea witch.

Autumn-style celebration with Mickey and Friends
Mickey and Minnie will be up to their mischievous tricks at Disneyland Paris, taking part in the “Mickey’s Halloween Party” Halloween cavalcade with Donald, his nephews Riri, Fifi and Loulou, Daisy, the Three Little Pigs and plenty more Characters. Guests can see the “Mickey’s Illusion Manor” again, plus Mélanie Ravenswood in her wedding dress and the zombies from Phantom Manor.

Exclusive meet and greets with Disney Characters in Halloween costumes
Maleficent will take possession of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Courtyard, receiving the bravest guests for a terrifying meet and greet. Her dragon-like wall of thorns will reach as far as the Sleeping Beauty Castle Theatre.
Lots of Disney characters will be wearing their best Halloween costumes to pose for photos with guests, who can meet Minnie, Stitch and Max (Dingo’s son) in their new costumes and the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Attractions now even more scary
Guests who like a bit of a fright can put their courage to the test at Phantom Manor: the iconic attraction at Disneyland Paris has re-opened after the biggest renovation project in its history, with plenty of surprises in store for guests on a mysterious and fascinating tour, and ghosts and spirits at every turn.
Fans of thrills and spills will enjoy the new version of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™, the top attraction at Walt Disney Studios® and a scene of breath-taking drama.

Immersive sets for that Halloween feeling
The spirit of Halloween will take hold of Disneyland Paris, from Main Street, U.S.A.® to Sleeping Beauty Castle. Pumpkins and ghosts will be around to amuse guests in a wickedly colourful atmosphere to suit the season.

It appears that the tower of terror has been updated so that the drop sequence is now random, so each ride will be different to the previous. This seems like a great idea that will add to the suspense.

Regarding Ursula, I’m not sure how her show will work as she’s usually an animatronic rather than an actor so will be interesting.

I would have liked some changes/updates to the parade held during the day rather than repeating last years.

• 1 month later...

Double post... sorry.

Details of the changes to the Tower of Terror have been announced. There will be 3 separate stories. Looks a bit scarier if I'm honest so I'm looking forward to trying each of the 3 out! I've copied over the details they've published on each below. Not sure if 'shaft creatures' is a bad translation but it sounds a bit odd haha.

tower of terror disneyland paris

The 3 horrors:

The Malevolent Machine 

The little ghost girl haunts this elevator. But she is the least of your worries. Because as soon as you take your seat, this malevolent machine only has one thing in mind – to trap you, and clank and screech with glee as it catapults you up and plummets you down at its wicked will without warning. The only thing you can do is hold tight and scream! Will you be able to free yourself from its grip?

The Shaft Creatures

“They know you’re here. Whatever you do, don’t scream!” Scary creatures roam around the elevator shaft and are looking for distressed souls to terrorize – as the louder your pleas for mercy, the more powerful they become. Can you stay silent while plummeting – several times – 13 unlucky floors at the speed of fright?

The 5th Dimension

Don’t get lost in this dimension! A sinister Poltergeist specter has opened the 5th dimension and wants to take your soul with it. Prepare to question everything you think is real as you’re dropped into a terrifying psychedelic journey between worlds. Will the little ghost girl be able to take you back to our dimension?

I'm not sure how it will work with each of the 3, whether you will get a choice or not, how exactly it will work in practice I will be interested to see. 

11 minutes ago, jessica2 said:

I'm not sure how it will work with each of the 3, whether you will get a choice or not, how exactly it will work in practice I will be interested to see. 

Doesn’t it all depend on what elevator you board?? Plus I do believe in the past you got to choose your own elevator anyway but that being said, it’s been years since I’ve done Paris :)

I am also pretty excited to see this version of the tower utilise the randomised drop sequences. One of the main reasons I never took as much a liking to this compared to the masterpiece that is the Florida original is the lack of the random drops. So that and the three stories are very welcome changes.

10 minutes ago, Martin Doyle said:

Doesn’t it all depend on what elevator you board?? Plus I do believe in the past you got to choose your own elevator anyway but that being said, it’s been years since I’ve done Paris :)

I am also pretty excited to see this version of the tower utilise the randomised drop sequences. One of the main reasons I never took as much a liking to this compared to the masterpiece that is the Florida original is the lack of the random drops. So that and the three stories are very welcome changes.

Yeah I assume this is how it'll work,  I guess there never used to be much difference between them so that may be why I don't remember having a choice haha. 

I agree that its a welcome change for Paris (although I've always loved ToT!), I was worried that they'd get rid of the Twilight Zone in favor of the story lines used in other parks, so for them to keep it and give it a refresh is a great outcome in my books. As Rock'n'rollercoaster will be shut while I'm there next month, ToT will be the ride I do over and over in the studios haha ❤️