THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

Just popping back to the aircraft wing and engine discussion guys. I have just been looking at the plans, and the dimensions are on the aircraft drawing. So the gap between the engines is about 8m. That completely dispels any theory of arm guards, right?

Which plans state that the gap is eight metres?

I'm actually measuring it closer to 7.5m either way the box that was posted surrounding the raptors train was at least 8.5m wide, I don't think that the gap between the engines is to scale, its probably just the outer dimensions of the wing/plane that the planning need.

Yeah I will go with you on that, 7.5 / 8m ish. The drawing info does say it is a 1:100 scale drawing, but I am sure as you say there is some flex regarding the actual positions of the engines, other wise I guess they would have put those dimensions on as well.

Sorry to change the subject but it's only just struck me how Thorpe have been marketing this ride... Apart from "UK's first winged coaster", we, and the general public, have heard very little about the ride in any promotional campaign. It seems that up to now Thorpe have concentrated on more implicit promotional schemes á la Oblivion. There's Les Coogan, the mini-site and the tank - none of it ties together and leaves many holes in the plot-line thus far, but what if that's a good thing? We're not being spoon-fed that The Swarm will be "the scariest", "the fastest", "the tallest" or "the most intense", and instead we're getting little nuggets of information that, to non-enthusiasts, suggest little more than the notion that something is going to happen at Thorpe - but there's no explicit detail as to what (except that it's a coaster, obviously), but the back story is only very gradually taking precedence. They're made to piece it together themselves - warnings from a crackpot nerdy guy, the tank, the biohazard symbol - it means that imagination, expectation and anticipation are factored in; this mystery shrouding just what the hell The Swarm is is all part of the hype and wonderment, and is a far more exciting promotional scheme for any coaster we've seen built in the UK for over a decade.

From what I can tell, Thorpe are really focusing hard on this. We might not be getting any explicit detail about the coaster, but that is probably because the end is only a few months away. As the time draws near, I'm sure Thorpe will produce bigger, better and more revealing information about The Swarm. For now, all we can do is wait for the year to pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Close friend of mine who's pretty clued up about Thorpe was on park today, lucky cow, but she came back with an interesting morsel of information to chew over. She Facebook mailed me what the day was like and, editing out some parts regarding other rides and how "sexual" the food in KFC was (we have no KFC in Yeovil or anywhere around here), she had this to say with regards to The Swarm. Spelling and grammar has been corrected, but I'm afraid she's a serial offender in excessive bracketology :

"...and while at the Amity Cove area waiting for [name removed], I was listening to the spoof WWTP radio broadcasts they play (I always loved WWTP). Then it got to a phone-in section of the show and a woman came on talking frantically about an "ancient race of bug-like aliens" living under the earth's surface that were going to emerge and take over (but also that the government knew about it). I think it said they were called the Thurg but I only realised the significance of what I was hearing when it was nearly over and the guy terminated the call because he thought she was crazy and then apologised to all the listeners. I don't recall hearing this broadcast before - and this was my third trip this year. The best part was when that crazy guy you talked about (can't remember his name, sorry!) talked about them. His breath smelt rank but he talked about the world ending when the "invasion" starts, and that these, again, "bug-like aliens", are going to control humans and everyone will destroy everything we know, but then I got pulled into the queue for Stealth because [name removed] was getting impatient, so the guy just jumped at another group of people (and he was there for pretty much all the time we spent in the queue and was there again when we got off) Stealth is AMAZING btw!But yeah anyways given the design of the trains in that concept art you showed me and the plot details released so far I wondered if the radio broadcast was a subtle part of the campaign for Swarm? (Sorry if this info was already common knowledge - you seem to find out everything I find out weeks before me! (such as the the tank!) - and sorry if it's not related to the ride, I just thought I'd pass it on to you just in case!)"

How very interesting... And a sophisticated golf clap for Thorpe Park if this is true; yet more lovely in-park, infiltrative advertising. And if it is to be believed, then there's some very telling facts slipped in here, even though we're still no closer to finding out exactly why these "bug-like aliens" are here. We now know they supposedly came from underground; we also know that they are supposedly going to control the human race and drive it to destruction that way - seems more viable than a swarm of "bug-like aliens" having a good old gnaw at a bit of brick/metal. Possibly most interesting is this obscure link to the government. What could it mean? Why were they trying to hide it? How did they know? But I mean, come on, the THURG? That bit must be made up or a least subject to her attention at it's most vacant.Also, Les Coogan is still there, which is always nice to hear.

That's really excellent; reminds me of the SW7 Poster at Towers in that it's ridiculously subtle but those who find it will really appreciate it. Great to hear if true, I can really imagine a crazy caller fitting in with the whole WWTP idea and it's nice to hear that additions are still being made in older areas.

'It has been confirmed that vertical construction has been arranged to begin this wednesday', so says a member on Coaster Force, if this is true, it'll defo get everyone excited. :D(BTW, first thing they should be starting is station, followed by the lift hill next week hopefully)

So exciting! Lets hope peeps can get some decent photo's! :D

Sure this has been mentioned before, but looking at the map, and how the gardens by stealth (cant remember the name atm) have been fenced of and made all 'themed',I'm starting to think there will be an entrance to The Swarm through there.. which would actually be quite cool

Sunkern Gardens.I don't believe this will be happening just yet, I think judging by the current MTDP they will be looking to bring this access into play when the 2015 coaster opens (assuming island A will be used) The fence is merely there as a way of saying to the GP "Hey look what we're building!" and Stealth being 'possibly' the most popular ride in the park what better place to put it than right next to the entrance. As it's on a seperate island from the rest of the park theres no need for actual themed construction fences....

ah but on the map it does infact advertise the new island and new ride for next year and it does infact show the bridge linking to the island I could scan on a picture if people want and I could also put a photo of a poster I saw around the park on my visit today, not sure if its already been mentioned but I'd assume it's safe to say the ride will feature water effects as the poster clearly shows a wave of water hiting the rider.