THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

Depends how they do it. Raptor the exit was up some stairs on both sides and in the middle (as well as a bottleneck mind, poorly laid out shop with video footage). It's kind of like a double station situation with two separate exits, so it really does depend on how they do it. If like Raptor, you'll probs have to go onto Fast-Track or maybe just talk to a member of staff at the exit.Either way, there will probably be stairs regardless.Depends if they decide to go for something like Air really. Sure someone who's studied the plans can work it out.

Doubt it, UK disability laws are pretty strict on all new builds.If there's stairs, there'll be lifts. Then again, thorpe is very good at ensuring their lifts dont actually work ;)The Nemesis Inferno lift is next to the operators console, it goes down to the back of the volcano by the lockers. It used to have a very retro thorpe out of use sign accompanying it. I haven't been in a year though, so they may have updated the sign.

I too am disabled, not in the sense I need a wheelchair, its more a learning disability. But I can safely say Thorpe won't be a good park if they haven't got access for the disabled. Seriously, exclusion is among the worst sins someone could committ. Everyone wants to ride Thorpe's rides, it wouldn't be fair for the disabled if there were no access. And furthermore, I'm certain the public won't like it either. Thorpe will lose popularity and thus visitors.

exclusion is among the worst sins someone could committ. Everyone wants to ride Thorpe's rides, it wouldn't be fair for the disabled if there were no access. And furthermore, I'm certain the public won't like it either. Thorpe will lose popularity and thus visitors.

It's not that big of a deal; you're really making it sound far worse than it is. Whilst I appreciate the plight of people who are disabled, Thorpe and every other tourist attraction in this country do include them. However, it is simply not realistic to expect the exact same opportunities as someone who is able to move for themselves. It isn't like you can't ride the rides at all, but the small concession of not being able to chose your side shouldn't really be something to complain about. Just be glad you're living now and not 50 years ago, where there was absolutely no provision for the disabled and it was just tough luck.

There will be access, no doubt about it. We were talking about the provision of lifts for some reason instead.Infact, with AdamY... only ten years ago disabled access meant literally someone else in a wheelchair, every single other person had to queue like anybody else. They've only changed policies in the past decade.

I'm hoping disabled access will be via the Fast-Track queue, like Saw. And I remember being told to go through the Fast-Track queue for Inferno a few years back, though I never do and they don't seem to care.Literally so excited for this, after my first trip to Alton Towers in September I'm so ready for more B&M loving <3

Seriously, exclusion is among the worst sins someone could committ. Everyone wants to ride Thorpe's rides, it wouldn't be fair for the disabled if there were no access. And furthermore, I'm certain the public won't like it either. Thorpe will lose popularity and thus visitors.

There will be a law behind it somewhere regarding equality. You need not worry there will be a disabled access.

Posted ImagePosted ImageJust noticed how the supports will be on land that is not accessible to the public. I remember a while back somebody mentioning how the island and plane scenery will be overwhelmed by huge supports but these plans both show that most of the supports wont be there for you to walk around. I think even though they are still there, it's not like you have to wander through a forest of supports to get to where you want.It's also interesting to see how the island will be surrounded by themed Steel Mesh fencing and the queue will have themed fencing around the parts visible to the passers by (something not on any other ride at Thorpe) and, for obvious reasons, regular Steel Mesh around the start of the lift hill. Looking at some of the plans in more detail really gives an idea as to what the area will exactly look like, such as how the food kiosk will be surrounded by tall fencing and a smaller timber queue line will be constructed for it. Also how part of the queue with grass in will be blocked off by a tall wooden fence to block the view of the toilets and back of the ride...

Not sure I'm very keen on the domination of the steel mesh fencing if I'm honest. One thing that always annoyed me about the Saw Island is that the whole place is very metallic and therefore very sterile-looking. Add to the the paving and the boxy station and it just looks far too squeaky-clean and calculated as a whole area; hardly menacing in the slightest - you really notice the transition when you finally leave the Saw Island and enter Canada Creek, passing the back of Colossus and suddenly realising you're back in traditional Thorpe.I'm just concerned that the over-use of the steel mesh will create a similar alienation from the well-themed Amity Cove/Neptune's Kingdom areas that the Saw Island proposes.

Not sure I'm very keen on the domination of the steel mesh fencing if I'm honest. One thing that always annoyed me about the Saw Island is that the whole place is very metallic and therefore very sterile-looking. Add to the the paving and the boxy station and it just looks far too squeaky-clean and calculated as a whole area; hardly menacing in the slightest - you really notice the transition when you finally leave the Saw Island and enter Canada Creek, passing the back of Colossus and suddenly realising you're back in traditional Thorpe.I'm just concerned that the over-use of the steel mesh will create a similar alienation from the well-themed Amity Cove/Neptune's Kingdom areas that the Saw Island proposes.

Raptor gives me faith.

^Depends what they do with it really.My theory would be...One Lez has said how 'The Swarm' are an alien race which have invaded and go inside your ears, brainwashing you (or along those lines at least). So, The Swarm brainwash everyone into thinking that they are someone / something called Lez Cougan, and that they should spread their message (of what, I dunno, but some sort of alien-like thing), but some 'Lez Cougans' are fighting back (typical film story of when someone is brainwashing you I guess), spreading the warning that it is not a roller coaster, but instead a way to infect and brainwash you, etc. etc.Shameless speculation on my part, but I think they could certainly create a realistic (or, as real as you get with aliens) story line with this one, which is out of this world...

But they could do that with one Cougan, surely? I just don't see why they've done this all of a sudden instead of something a little more realistic. Why would the swarm want to turn victims into the same person? The one person who knows about their existence (other than the government). I liked the whole Google Earth-assisted hype video but this is incredibly cheap-looking and a tad uninventive - notice how all the Cougans appears to be squatting in the bushes at Thorpe Park?

Looks like it's one of the times to 'agree to disagree'. :PI think it adds a whole new dimension to the story, and like what it has done. I do look forward to how they go with it and how much of a story link this will have with the ride itself. I think what it also does it helps when it comes to actors promoting the ride (and ones that will be around when the ride is open, with a bit of luck), as it doesn't restrict them to having a single actor for Lez. It could be that this idea is just being done to make it logistically easier for them, but I'd hope that's not the main reason.. :P

But they could do that with one Cougan, surely? I just don't see why they've done this all of a sudden instead of something a little more realistic. Why would the swarm want to turn victims into the same person? The one person who knows about their existence (other than the government). I liked the whole Google Earth-assisted hype video but this is incredibly cheap-looking and a tad uninventive - notice how all the Cougans appears to be squatting in the bushes at Thorpe Park?

I was thinking of it as kind of like the Guy Fawkes motif of the Occupy Wall Street movement.Lez Cougan was always more than one person (shown by the number of actors playing him) and it's just named after the person who kick started it all and found out about the deadly Swarm. The name is now bigger than a single person, it's about letting everyone know the Swarm is coming without fear of individual reprisal.And hey, it gets the general public involved which can only be a good thing when marketing a new ride right!

Well, before I was pretty meh about the story behind this ride.I'm much preferring the route they're taking this now. It's something so much more complex than "alien comes down, hypnotizes people, destroys city, some crazies prophesized it". And I like it. Sometimes you have to remember, there's plenty of time for a detailed nemesis-esque backstory later, but at the moment they're also trying to advertise a ride here. And this is pure marketing ingenuity, and I think its far surpassed what Alton ever did with Oblivion, or any park has done with any ride that I personally know of. I don't think this affects the integrity of the marketing at all, and it goes to show how many relatively cheap things can all add together to make an amazing marketing effort,

Terrible addition to the otherwise great promotional build up. It seems obvious to me that this is nothing to do with any ride narrative, backstory or whatever.They just ran out of ideas, so they got a mobile phone and filmed some random people saying "I am Lez Cougan" and put it on Facebook. Just to sustain hype.I will be really surprised if this turns out to be of any importance to The Swarm whatsoever. The general public might have forgotten that the Swarm is opening next year; this video is nothing more than a reminder to provoke online participation.

Posted ImageAfter looking at this picture, I've realised how intense this loop is going to be... I knew roughly what to expect but I didn't realise it would be exactly like this. This is definatly going to be a very short sharp ride that packs a massive punch even though it has a fairly simple layout. Along side some great theming, this is my most anticipated ride for next year -_-