Disabled Queuing Rules

JoshC.

Question

Whilst no actual leaflet with all this year's info has been produced, it seems new rulings are on the website:http://www.thorpepark.com/plan-your-visit/disabled-guide.aspxNear the bottom, where it's got 'Helpers / Companions', we've got this:"Only one helper per disabled guest can use the access pass on any of our THORPE PARK rides and attractions."The entire section seems to be written as if there can only be 1 helper on a ride as well. Under Ride Access higher up, it says something about for safety reasons about the number of disabled guests, blah blah blah, you may have to divide into smaller groups - which is impossible if there's only 2 people, which could mean that there's a mistake made somewhere. Personally though, if they are limiting it to one helper per disabled guest, I think it's pretty stupid!So yeah, d'you think it is being limited to 1 person per disabled guest, or not?

True, I've also seen groups of people using just one card (child a) for the whole group, then going to the next ride and using child b's card for everybody to get on that, but I'll give him his due, there's one particular ride op (looks a bit like the guy who presents Saturday Kitchen just thinner) who is wise to this and I've seen him ask for 'the other child's card' more than once.

This comes down to training staff to only allow people a disabled pass if they have a letter from their doctors saying they cannot queue. I remember when I was at guest services before and claiming my compensation exit passes, they thought I meant the disabled pass and gave me a form to sign as they were going to give me one... Luckily I told them this wasn't what I wanted, but you can see how they are easily willing to give away disability passes to people without a doctors note!

I agree that people with disabilities whether physical or mental, should be entitled to skip the queues at the parks. However it does annoy me when people are going through a tough time or difficult period in their life, and they just get a Doctor's note and are rewarded for doing so.

I think Merlin need stricter policies on who is entitled to the perk, possibly a restriction on how long you have had the disability.

I agree that people with disabilities whether physical or mental, should be entitled to skip the queues at the parks. However it does annoy me when people are going through a tough time or difficult period in their life, and they just get a Doctor's note and are rewarded for doing so.

I think Merlin need stricter policies on who is entitled to the perk, possibly a restriction on how long you have had the disability.

The aim is not to be a perk but to make queueing bearable for sufferers of mental or physical illness who cannot queue

Does anyone remember that guy on Twitter that went to Thorpe Park with crutches and got a disabled pass then bragged about it online because he wasn't actually injured? Then he got banned from all Merlin parks for a space of time? That was interesting

I was going to mention about him - that was an absolute p**s take and bragging on social media about getting "free fastrack" #facepalm  - you have to love Thorpe Parks response though!  The only problem is, how many people saw that and thought they would try it?  Now THAT is where the system is flawed - the guy obviously got his disabled band pretty easy from what I could tell - made me angry when I first saw it - the fact he did it, bragged about it....and to top it off, can't spell :ph34r:

Wow, stunned at the ignorance that reeks in this topic. As someone who has ADHD, I'm quite offended by Altitude's posts...but I won't take it personally and at least most people are understanding ;)

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding surrounding ADHD (and I know that with a lot of people it's not intentional - as others here have pointed out, it can be hard to understand mental health conditions unless you have personal experiences with it). Poor media - such as TV documentaries that only show extreme cases and are advertised as programs about "naughty children" - doesn't help. Thankfully, there are plenty of blogs and websites which are informative and give real, personal accounts of what it's like living with ADHD.

There is so much I want to say and luckily, most of it can be said through this image:

adhd-iceberg.jpg

Also to add to that: sensory processing disorder. Something which can occur in people with ADHD as well as those on the autism spectrum, and would make queueing at a theme park extremely difficult.

Difficulty with social interaction/peer rejection due to their behaviour and struggling to follow/keep up with conversations.

The difficulties with regulating emotions and sensory processing can cause overwhelm, which can sometimes lead to meltdowns. And somewhere like a theme park can sometimes be over-stimulating for them.

Treatment can help ADHD, but it isn't a cure and they may still have difficulties queueing.

So yeah, there is a LOT more to it than just the diagnostic symptoms. I personally haven't had issues with queueing because of ADHD, no doubt because of my love of theme parks and how in awe I felt as a child when I visited. But I can fully understand how it could cause issues for other people.

Oh and by the way - the evidence that a guest needs to show in order to get the RAP needs to be dated within 6 months. So I couldn't just go with my diagnosis letter from 2011 and get a pass, for example. This means that either they need a recent letter from a consultant, ie a diagnostic report, or a report/letter which they may have through having regular appointments or ongoing treatment, or a letter written by a doctor specifically stating how/why they are unable to queue. Not sure when this came into place, but it's how it is currently, and I know that it hasn't always been this way; it used to just be a letter/report from a doctor/consultant etc (plus they no longer accept DLA letters for RAPs, unless it's the high rate). And no, it's certainly not a "perk" and people aren't being "rewarded"! Are people here for real??

I know this was written ages ago but ADHD should not just be waved aside because in many more cases than not ADHD is joined by many other disorders and you may think being impatient is just a way of getting a pass but we generally cannot wait that long

Just to reiterate my point (which Tommy did as well) - I don't think people with severe ADHD should be denied a ride access pass.  Indeed, it is the case that people with severe ADHD will have other disorders as you so; coupling those together would likely be more than enough to warrant a ride access pass.  But there are people with mild ADHD who, if we're being honest, can probably cope with the concept of queueing.  However, if they can, they will push the system and get a ride access pass anyway.  There is a line that needs to be drawn, but of course, it is difficult to know where that line is (especially with mental illnesses).

I think the current system is fair enough.  The amount of evidence required isn't absurd, but it's not too lenient and it should be quiet difficult to 'beat' it.  The case above shows that anyone who tries to beat it will be dealt with accordingly.  Hopefully that case in particular led the park to be a bit more careful with reviewing evidence though.