Chessington Trip Reports

You were there yesterday? I went too and have to agree, it was great!Vampire is just brilliant in the dark! That tunnel... wow! It was truly the highlight of the day!I didn't do the black forest haunt, but I did do hocus pocus hall bewitched which had lots of jumps and laughs! I would rate it above most THORPE PARK mazes as Hocus Pocus Hall seemed to have many more jumpy moments!

I'd say Vampire is one of the ultimate coasters in the dark as the ride isn't lit up like a cheap christmas tree so when it says in the dark, it really is pitch black. Today the park was incredibly misty and I wish I could have gone to ride Vampire. :)

My trip report from today:Overall: 10/10. Just excellent in every single aspect. So it's Halloween, I'm expecting the park to be heaving with people. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. Although it was very busy, it wasn't as uncomfortably busy as I was expecting. Knowing that it would be busy throughout the day, I purchased 2 X Express Passes on entering the park. These proved incredibly helpful, and I don't have a single regret in spending the extra money on them. Although it was busy walking around the park, the ride queues weren't unbearable, and were much smaller than first anticipated. The theming around the park was faultless and very well executed. Although I didn't manage to see the park at night, the placement of lighting around the park was very consistent, and I could just imagine how spectacular the park was going to be at night. The staff were as always, faultless on the whole in their attitude towards making every visitor's day that little bit more special. I usually compliment individual staff members that really stood out, but today I really believe that the whole staff community did a great job. Now for the juicy stuff: Queue times. Based on what I saw/experienced, the average queue times for attractions during the day were:Dragon's Fury: 60 minutesDragon Falls: 40 minutesVampire: 70 MinutesBubbleworks: 50 minutesTomb Blaster: 80 minutesRunaway Train: 45 minutesRameses Revenge: 20 minutesRattlesnake: 30 minutesBlack Buccaneer: 30 minutesSeastorm: 10 minutesPeeking Heights: 10 minutesRide Count: (I used 2 x Express Passes)Dragon's Fury: 2Dragon Falls: 2Vampire: 2Bubbleworks: 2Runaway Train: 2Rattlesnake: 3Rameses Revenge: 3Black Buccaneer: 1Tomb Blaster: 0 (:P I know! I had two express slots to go on this, but I literally didn't have enough time to do them!)One thing I must add. On my last Chessington trip report, I commented that Dragon's Fury wasn't really as good as I thought it was going to be, and that I didn't really think much of it. How wrong I was! Today, both rides were fantastic, and I was really shown that it can be an intense ride when it wants to be! Some of the drops had my stomach churning! Today, it really was a fantastic ride, easily in my top 3 now. Overall, a really fantastic day! No queues, lots of rides, lots of soakings (On Rameses! :D), lots of fun had. Top stuff Chessington! One of the best ways I've ever spent my Halloween day. Hope you enjoyed reading! :)______________________________________________________Aside from the trip report, there is one thing that I have a quick question about. On the 2009 Calendar on the park map, it says that on the 5th/6th/12th/13th/14th-31st December (Except Christmas Day), the park is open as usual from 10am-3pm. But on the Chessington Website, it says that these dates are for SEA LIFE & Zoo days only. Can anyone working at the park clear this up for me? I am guessing that the website would be more accurate, but I'd appreciate some help. Thanks :D.

Aside from the trip report, there is one thing that I have a quick question about. On the 2009 Calendar on the park map, it says that on the 5th/6th/12th/13th/14th-31st December (Except Christmas Day), the park is open as usual from 10am-3pm. But on the Chessington Website, it says that these dates are for SEA LIFE & Zoo days only. Can anyone working at the park clear this up for me? I am guessing that the website would be more accurate, but I'd appreciate some help. Thanks :).

These dates are Sea Life/Zoo only days, so the actual theme park will not be open, just the Zoo and Sea Life Centre.Thanks for the Trip Report though, makes me look forward to my first visit there for so long tomorrow even more. :P

These dates are Sea Life/Zoo only days, so the actual theme park will not be open, just the Zoo and Sea Life Centre.Thanks for the Trip Report though, makes me look forward to my first visit there for so long tomorrow even more. :)

Thanks for that! Have a great time tomorrow! :PAnother thing that everyone may be happy to hear: The station music on Vampire was incredibly loud today, actually the bass was so loud that it was vibrating the floor!

Looks like the Saw Branding is becoming a Merlin Wide thing and not just at Thorpe!

Yes! I was thinking that Merlin have purchased the licensing to play the SAW soundtracks, not just THORPE PARK. Therefore, the tracks are likely to be used in other parks. Just in case anyone is interested, other tracks played parkwide throughout the day were Monster Mash, Purple People Eater and The Scooby Doo Theme.

TRIP REPORT FOR HALLOWEENShortish queues, less than expectedvampire 45-60 mins in the day, 70 at nightDragons Fury 60 mins all dayDragon falls 0-40 minsHocus pocus hall 60 mins all dayBlack buckaneer 15 mins in the day, 45 at nightsea storm 5-10 minsrattlesnake 20 in the day, 40 at nightrunaway train 25-45 minsTomb blaster - 60 mins all dayRamesis revenge 5-30 mins at nightBubble works 30-40peeking heights 0-20 minsSafari Skyway 15 minskids rides up to 45 minsGreat day and did 21 rides with 2 express passes (my companion let me use their Dragons fury ones so I did it 4 times) - fast track times normally 5 mins but 20 for tomb blaster and 30 for one Dragons FuryFirst hour only queues for Dragons Fury And Vampire, everything else 5 mins and tomb blaster opened about half elevenHocus pocus hall quite good but ony 4 actors, didn't do black forest hauntfast tracks sold out but about one, the park never maxed outVampire great but queue tedious as people had exit passes, what are they?Great day 9.6/10 !!!!p.s nice baby gorilla in zoo

Thanks for that! Have a great time tomorrow! :)Another thing that everyone may be happy to hear: The station music on Vampire was incredibly loud today, actually the bass was so loud that it was vibrating the floor!

Thank you so much for that! I will look forward to hearing Vampire's music tomorrow! :)

Yes! I was thinking that Merlin have purchased the licensing to play the SAW soundtracks, not just THORPE PARK. Therefore, the tracks are likely to be used in other parks. Just in case anyone is interested, other tracks played parkwide throughout the day were Monster Mash, Purple People Eater and The Scooby Doo Theme.

Monster Mash is a must for me at Chessington & Zoo! :P

Today, I went to Chessington & Zoo...Rides and Attractions were available from 10am until 8pm. - Halloween Hocus Pocus.The queue times were EXTREMELY LOW!Peak Queues:Vampire - 0 minsDragon's Fury - 15 minsRattlesnake - 10 minsTomb Blaster - 0 minsDragon Falls - 5 minsRunaway Train - 0 minsSafari Skyway - 0 minsBlack Buccaneer - 0 minsBubbleworks - 0 minsDragon's Fury's queue was mainly 5 minutes throughout the day though.I also went on Black Forest Haunt which I thought was very good and well thought out! (Queued 15 mins).I also visited Hocus Pocus Hall Bewitched which I thought was a LOT better than last year. Alot more actors, and more scary! :) (Queued 0 mins).I had an evacuation on Dragon Falls in the morning. I must say 'well done' to the staff as I was evacuated extremely quickly. (And asked for a photo to be taken from the top of the stairs :P).I also rolled back on Runaway Train due to a wet floor sign being blown onto the station track; therefore, stopped mid-ride.I done a ride count for Vampire, and I could remember the rest...Dragon's Fury - 6Dragon Falls - 3Bubbleworks - 3Rattlesnake - 4Runaway Train - 4Black Forest Haunt - 1Hocus Pocus Hall Bewitched - 1Safari Skyway - 1Tomb Blaster - 1and prepare yourselves!..I done the most rides on Vampire in one day for myself so far...26!!!I dedicated between 7pm and 8pm 'Vampire Time'. Because it would be my last trip this season, I wanted to dose myself up! :)I had 14 rides in a ROW between 7pm and 8pm, and the rest of the rides on Vampire were throughout the day.Vampire's lighting.I thought the lighting around the queue line and during the ride was amazing!I thought it was really good where there were also dark parts for the ride, as well as colourful lighting.Vampire's Music.All I can say is... WOW!!! I can't tell you how long I have waited to experience what I did today!I loved how the atmosphere in the station was buzzing, and loving the "makeover" of the station!(I also got some good recordings of the laughs that aren't in the "common copy" that people own). :POverall, A great day! Easily 10/10!Oh yeah... technical stuff...Dragon Falls and Tomb Blaster had a slight problem during the day, but re-opened very quickly.Vampire was closed for appoximately 20 mins to take a train off the track. (So was still left with a 2 train operation).I did not see Griffins Galleon run at all, all day.

The queue times were EXTREMELY LOW!Peak Queues:Vampire - 0 minsDragon's Fury - 15 minsRattlesnake - 10 minsTomb Blaster - 0 minsDragon Falls - 5 minsRunaway Train - 0 minsSafari Skyway - 0 minsBlack Buccaneer - 0 minsBubbleworks - 0 mins26!!!I had 14 rides in a ROW between 7pm and 8pm, and the rest of the rides on Vampire were throughout the day.

Bashing my big old head against the wall! So jealous :) If I had done my work on the Saturday would of had all time in world to go :PGlad you had good day Keith :P

Today, I went to Chessington & Zoo...Peak Queues:Rattlesnake - 10 mins

I never saw Rattlesnake with more than 6 people in its queue line :).Anyway yeah, it was my first Chessington trip all year.. and wow it was amazing. Most queues were all 0 minutes except for Fury which reached 10/15 minutes at some points, most of the day that was near walk on as well though. Hocus Pocus bewitched was 10 minutes most of the day, but at about 5 that was pretty much walk on as well. Black Forest Haunt was also only something like 5 minutes for most of the day. Morning rain was fun, made Vampire front row very interesting.. but mainly wet :P. Also made Rattlesnake fly round the track faster than I've ever seen it. I also enjoyed hearing the Saw theme music playing in Rattlesnake's station! :PSince this is the only trip for 2 years in which I can remember my ride count I might as well do one.. y'know to annoy people...Dragons Fury x7Vampire x6Rattlesnake x8 (Re-rides! :P)Tomb Blaster x3Dragon Falls x4Bubbleworks x3Runaway Train x2Rameses Revenge x1Black Buccaneer x1Peeking Height x2Safari Skyway x1Toadies' x1Hocus Pocus Bewitched x1Black Forest Haunt x1Yay.

I never saw Rattlesnake with more than 6 people in its queue line :P.Vampire x6

Nice to have bumped into you Dan, Tommy and Rich as well! :DAfter we saw you the first time in Vampire's station, I rode Rattlesnake before and had to queue 10 mins! :PThat was a long queue for the day! :PCould of upped your Vampire count eh Dan? :)

Lol. that seems a tiny count compared to 26! Were you not the tiniest bit bored after that?

Vampire!This is Vampire we are talking about!I have waited for the music to be turned up for years, so I didn't get bored.I would never get bored of Vampire and would of done it more if the park was to, for some reason on my visit close later. :)

Lol. that seems a tiny count compared to 26! Were you not the tiniest bit bored after that?

Well we went on most other rides more than him, and if you took both of our Vampire counts out, we'd have way more rides :).And anyway, I'm not too keen on continously whoring one ride all day, we wanted to ride everything else as well. And we left at 6.15. Tbh ride counts are stupid anyway.. :P

Well we went on most other rides more than him, and if you took both of our Vampire counts out, we'd have way more rides :).And anyway, I'm not too keen on continously whoring one ride all day, we wanted to ride everything else as well. And we left at 6.15. Tbh ride counts are stupid anyway.. :P

I agree about the ride counts being stupid!However, I am just lucky that I remember what I have rode and how many times! :)However, I did count Vampire as I wanted to get on it alot....And Dan, I can totally understand you not wanting to stick with one ride all day.However, I knew that visit would be my last to Chessington & Zoo this season and I also really only wanted to do Vampire for the last hour anyways! :P(Plus, I had to dose myself up to last a few months! :P).

• 3 months later...

Had a visit to Chessington yesterday for a Zoo Day yesterday. They are overhauling the North / Hotel Entrance to the Park massively, it's all dug up and diggers are everywhere. This meant all cars and traffic come in to the coach park at the moment. Also nice to see is the ticket booths and queuelines are being replaced. I took a cheeky photo of the work :-Posted ImageLots of bamboo and wood to fit in with the Wild Asia theme I suspect.The areas of the park you weren't allowed into were fenced off with metal fences disguised with wooden panels :-Posted ImageYou can see The Carousel with its winter coat on here :-Posted ImageThe park was very very quiet and the staff were fantastic, really makes it a nice day out. There wasn't much else to report really as you couldn't see much of the park!He we have one last snap of an empty Market Square :-Posted ImageI'm off to Alton in Half Term so I'll no doubt have a tonne of photos and video!Kip