Chessington Trip Reports

Haven't seen the cards or anything yet, but yeah, there's always those little things that annoy you. Take Storm Surge. It's been advertised that it's 64ft / 19m. 64ft isn't 19m though, it's 19.5m I dunno what the inaccuracies are (speeds and heights I'd guess are the obvious ones?) but it would be nice if they could be accurate. Just because it's a game, doesn't mean they can be sloppy on things...

Oh noes, James could have possibly made a mistake! The world will end!!1!Besides, it's still wrong. Yeah, it's a little thing, but still. If you're going to make a product, may as well make it accurate? Especially with the Vampire thing, especially as they;re celebrating it's 21st birthday this year and making a deal out of it...

God this is turning into a serious and pointless discussion, certainly nothing to sarcastically "love enthusiasts" over... And to finish, whilst yes it's measured in MPH on the actual stats section, at the bottom in the text bit it says that Rita's top speed is "67 KPH."

Tragic. Absolutely tragic.

Posted ImageI'm not saying it's tragic. I'm not saying the world is going to end. I'm not moaning. I'm just saying.It's just something I've picked up on; things like these are picked up on by enthusiasts. Sometimes, these things are just a bit stupid, and does annoy some people. Oh dear.

I understand that, but anyone who does have it annoy them needs to get a life. Sorry, but that is the truth.A top trumps playing card shows a ride to be 50cm smaller than it really is. It should not annoy people. They may have simple 'Rounded Down' the number to make it more tidy?

I understand that, but anyone who does have it annoy them needs to get a life. Sorry, but that is the truth.A top trumps playing card shows a ride to be 50cm smaller than it really is. It should not annoy people. They may have simple 'Rounded Down' the number to make it more tidy?

The Storm Surge thing isn't on the Top Trumps thing specifically - it's a general thing. When they're advertising it and all that. I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, and it doesn't really annoy me (and I highly doubt it annoys anyone else), it's just something an enthusiast will notice. Also, if they are going to round things, wouldn't it be better to round up? :PWhat does annoy some enthusiasts is when they'll get simple things wrong - what year rides open, top speeds etc. If they can't get things like that right on their own merchandise, it's a bit sad for the parks themselves, and a bit annoying for some enthusiasts.

• 3 weeks later...
OPENING DAYWell naturally I had to go yesterday to see how the park would be setting out for the season after the comments based on AP day, and just HOW did the park do?To say the day was a rather mixed bag was an understatement... It wasn't the worst trip I've had but nor was it the best... It missed something, but more as this report continues...So, start the Chessie season with Vampire, simple walk on/5 minute queue... Approve of the new bag holders, even if they are slightly too small for average sized rucksacks, but at least it prevents numerous bags strewn upon the floor...After that, Bubbles is closed, so go towards Fury, which has a full queueline of not-want, so move to Tomb, which is closed, then to Rattle, which is also closed... Cue annoyed Benin and Runaway Train times... Not a great start really to the day, what with 3 big rides down... Bit disappointing really... But still, they did all open eventually I guess... Off to Falls next, where the new 1.2m minimum restriction greeted us... As being discussed already, is a Mack based thing, so I wonder what has happened somewhere in the world... Dunno how the staff dealt with annoyed guests but I'm sure there were a few...After that it was onto Wild Asia, and whilst Kobra was advertising a 30 minute queue, it was certainly less than that, so on the ride we went...Then it was Tuk Tuk times, which were good fun as always...After looking at Fury's queue and it still being silly, we headed towards a now open Tomb Blaster, and then we proceeded to be annoyed by loud noisy girls... Really annoying people... Throttling was unfortunately not done, or listening to music to drown them out... Which ruined the ride a lot.... Sigh... I hate people sometimes...Lunch was called, and we headed to the Nando's Chicken Shack... Pricey food is pricey, and it was rather average... Can't see myself eating there a lot this year to be honest... Nice but... Not for the price they wanted...Time for Wanyama, and Fennec Foxes of JOY and new Ostriches... Woooooo... Again, nothing much to say here, which seems to be a theme here... Nothing exceptional happened throughout the day that made it any better... A shame as Chessie can be capable of it but nothing happened... Hmmm...Then we had a silent train on Skyway... Surely they should be all working on the first day? Silly Skyway needs redoing desperately like Runaway...Now for Bubbleworks... Oh god... The old music being back made me smile and angry at the same time... And then in the ride having 4 old tracks and one random bubble thing isn't good enough to make it any better... Especially when 3 rooms are dead and silent...Just this is another ride that needs redoing... And there wasn't much in the way of brand removal, so what a cop out I feel... It's still not good, regardless of the old music...Urgh, rant aside, we headed towards Fury which had just broken and the queue slowly drained away, so we braved it... Kinda wish we hadn't... 6 cars and a terrible team give me more problems... Having conversations with guests is all well and good but when you're not loading an empty car because of this then that's not what should be happening... Watching an empty car go through the entire Fury platform is a disgrace... If they act like that in Summer it'll be an absolute nightmare...Then mis-communicating exit riders and putting two cars in a row of them is not good... I know it's only the first day but I'd rather see them focusing on how to platform rather than how to interact with people and ask what the life story is...After that nightmare, we went to Nero then Griffins to cheer up... Then we left at 4:40, as really couldn't be bothered with anything else at the park and one of us needed to get the 5:10 anyways...So yeah, Chessie was rather meh for me... It was really missing something... Have no idea what but it was just made the day blergh... Sigh... Depressing times...

Interesting read, wasn't aware of all those breakdowns but I know Rameses was broken at some point in the morning too, so that's not good!I'm sad to here the Fury team was not up to scratch Benin! ;)Hopefully The meet will be a better trip though!

I'm sad to here the Fury team was not up to scratch Benin! ;)

I think you were batching at the time... But, you weren't on platform who were the crap ones so you're absolved...I've been rather meh about it really, there are SOME improvements to the park like paving and signage for EVERYTHING... But it was just lacking... something...

I'm sorry to hear you had a disappointing trip Benin. I have to say, the three ex-Tussauds parks have really drawn a short straw this season compared with other Merlin attractions across the board. All three have disappointed me in some respects. Particularly Alton and Chessington, as I have high expectations from them both.When you see things the level of creativity going into attractions such as Raptor, it does make me feel kind of bitter, as we've yet to see that standard in any of our UK parks.Chessington in particular, need investment, not only to ease queues with higher capacity rides but also to create the buzz, excitement and brilliant atmosphere across the park. When I visited last year in April, the whole atmosphere of the place lifted and was buzzing, I put that mainly down to Wild Asia; quality investments rejuvenate older areas of the park. Plus it makes staff excited about their place of work and enthusiastic about working there.The effects of refurbishing some of the more worse for wear attractions are invaluable and will change they way staff and guests view the attraction as a whole.

Chessington in particular, need investment, not only to ease queues with higher capacity rides but also to create the buzz, excitement and brilliant atmosphere across the park. When I visited last year in April, the whole atmosphere of the place lifted and was buzzing, I put that mainly down to Wild Asia; quality investments rejuvenate older areas of the park. Plus it makes staff excited about their place of work and enthusiastic about working there.The effects of refurbishing some of the more worse for wear attractions are invaluable and will change they way staff and guests view the attraction as a whole.

Couldn't agree more...Half the park just looks so tatty these days... I'd say that includes Toytown, Mexicana, Market Square, Pirates Cove and Translyvania... And Land of the Dragons has just no identity to it... Same for Market Square and Pirates Cove...I feel incredibly strongly about what the park needs to do... And to heavily invest in regenerating and hence reinvigorating the park... This would not only improve the park as a whole with making old rides look new again but also adding new rides will help bring in new guests...Just Chessie never seems to get enough of the Merlin pot of money to do this though... And it's disappointing when they can't even retheme an area, just because they had a poor summer (like the other parks did)...So instead of celebrating the 25th with something massive... An area retheme which will involve very little if any new rides? Sigh ;)