Alton Towers Meet 2012

Alton Towers Meet 2012  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a Towers meet?

2. 2. If yes, what time of the year would you be interested in going?

For my 'anytime' vote read 'anytime it is quiet'. I know everyone has work / studies etc, but what is a days leave on a weekday when we can get the most out of the long journey most of us Southerners have to make? No kids holidays, no weekends, and I'm there. Also, I'm not allowed to go anywhere any time during the Olympics in case it all goes tits up.

A days leave for the kids at school/college before the school holidays? I'm sure those wanting to do well in their exams want to do that...Towers is perfectly acceptable to do on a weekend if a trip is planned well... And a weekend/holiday are days that would suit the majority of people...For the record, I'd be anytime on this... Not at all fussed...

• 3 weeks later...

A days leave for the kids at school/college before the school holidays? I'm sure those wanting to do well in their exams want to do that...Towers is perfectly acceptable to do on a weekend if a trip is planned well... And a weekend/holiday are days that would suit the majority of people...

Students - famous for turning up every day.Well, the weekday ERT meet is not exactly unpopular, is it?

I think another good thing to think about which should have been added to the poll is where to stay. Alton/Splash Landings hotels are awesome but expensive, although there is AP discount. When this had been discussed previously, Travelodge etc has been suggested as it's much cheaper. But ofc the downside is having to travel to the park etc. Also, no offence to younger members but I think a 16+ or 18+ restriction would probably have to be in place. Younger members would have to have parents permission and the over 18s may wish to have drinks at the hotel bars etc. Plus there are the hotel/petrol costs, again something younger members who aren't working would probably be unable to pay for. As I said, please don't take offence, I don't wish to push members out, I'm just being realistic and considering potential outcomes.

Students - famous for turning up every day.Well, the weekday ERT meet is not exactly unpopular, is it?

ERT, plenty of people close by who will most likely go to school, then to the meet at about 4pm...Hard to really use that as a true example of how popular a midweek one would be, especially for Towers...

I think another good thing to think about which should have been added to the poll is where to stay. Alton/Splash Landings hotels are awesome but expensive, although there is AP discount. When this had been discussed previously, Travelodge etc has been suggested as it's much cheaper. But ofc the downside is having to travel to the park etc.Also, no offence to younger members but I think a 16+ or 18+ restriction would probably have to be in place. Younger members would have to have parents permission and the over 18s may wish to have drinks at the hotel bars etc. Plus there are the hotel/petrol costs, again something younger members who aren't working would probably be unable to pay for.As I said, please don't take offence, I don't wish to push members out, I'm just being realistic and considering potential outcomes.

Woah, Woah, hold up for a sec, I'm pretty sure that younger members would have thought this through, they would know that they would have to pay for the hotel, I doubt that young members wouldn't be able to pay, that's the good thing about arranging the meet in advance, it gives them a time to save up, on the topic of older members going to the bar, I don't see what the problem is, if younger members joined the adults, they just wouldn't drink, and if they didn't want to join the grown ups, they could just stay in their rooms, and if an older member gives a younger member a lift, they would know that the least they could do is put something towards the petrol, I certainly would. I'm sorry but I feel that having an age restriction would be ridiculous, they don't do it at the London meets so I don't see why they would do it here.

An age limit does seem sensible. And to be honest Maxy (just using you as an example, nothing personal) would your parents even be happy with it?PS on a personal note, this very much depends on timing.

Having asked my parent, I would say, yes, The only restriction I would put on this meet is that it has to be someone whose been to a meet before, so the persons parents would know that its okay.

The age restriction is something that was also mentioned/agreed in the mod section when we discussed the possibility of an Alton meet, so I'm kinda speaking on behalf of the mod team too. Also, if some members had to travel by train, this is also where age could be a factor, with getting parents permission to travel so far, possibly alone. As I said, I don't want to sound negative, just being realistic. If we do this meet, we need to plan it thoroughly and consider everything.

The reason why a 'where to stay' option was not added to the poll is because this is purely to determine levels of interest to see whether or not organising a meet would be worth it. If not enough members are interested/able to go around the same time, then there really is no point trying to figure out where to stay already. As for the age limit, I do somewhat agree with that. Parents of younger members would most likely expect the mods/admins and the older members in general to look after them, and as for travel I totally agree with Mer - it could be difficult unless lifts are provided, and even then the petrol cost will be high. The drinking is another factor - I can't see younger members enjoying themselves when everyone else is getting drunk! The trouble (I feel) with imposing an age limit is that it will single out quite a few members, which could just cause friction between people.

Yeah, it does make sense not to have added a where to stay option now you mention it :PThe age thing is difficult. I don't want it to look like older members would be selfish and like we would just sit and get drunk and not look after the younger members, of course we wouldn't :ph34r: And yes, as Sarah said it could cause friction, and many members here are under 18. But certainly a 16+ restriction for the reasons already mentioned could be worth considering, even if some do get permission. I mean, let's say an under 16 member has permission to go and we book the rooms etc then their parents changed their minds or they get grounded, etc. We'd then have to cover their costs or change the booking etc. Sorry to keep repeating myself; I apologise if it sounds negative. And maybe I'm thinking too far into it too soon :D

The 16+ age restriction seems much better than an 18+. Yes, those members cannot drink, but they are what most people would consider old/responsible enough to be able to look after themselves at a Towers meet. Taking a younger member is quite a big risk in some ways (I don't mean that negatively on any younger members), and there is the chance that parents will not be happy letting them attend a meet where everyone (or at least most of us) will be drinking. Another thing to consider is that there are some members who live near enough to Towers to not need to stay in a hotel, so perhaps the age restriction should only apply to those staying over on site/wherever we end up staying providing this goes ahead? :ph34r:

I'll opt to stay in my flat. It's easier than all this age restriction stuff :ph34r:.Travelodges are a good idea - Uttox has one, and you can get the towers bus... but the lodge is awful. There's far, far, nicer ones at Ashbourne, Derby and somewhere else close if people drive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll opt to stay in my flat. It's easier than all this age restriction stuff :).Travelodges are a good idea - Uttox has one, and you can get the towers bus... but the lodge is awful. There's far, far, nicer ones at Ashbourne, Derby and somewhere else close if people drive.

After stopping in the one in Uttox before big no,no!...I would go with Ashbourne to be honest or stay in the Uttox Premier Inn's which seem nicer than Travelodges going off experience..Whatever the date will defo be there :P