Fright Nights 2014

JoshC.

Unsure how many people have noticed, but the cost of a FN ticket for Standard MAP holders / Thorpe Park AP holders is now £5 if you book before October 1st, and £10 afterwards - https://www.thorpepark.com/events-experiences/events/fright-nights/

Certainly makes the Horror Pass look more enticing if you're wanting to do a couple of dates!

Unsure how many people have noticed, but the cost of a FN ticket for Standard MAP holders / Thorpe Park AP holders is now £5 if you book before October 1st, and £10 afterwards - https://www.thorpepark.com/events-experiences/events/fright-nights/

Certainly makes the Horror Pass look more enticing if you're wanting to do a couple of dates!

WHAT?!

£10?  That is absoloutely ridiculous, I thought £5 was bad but that is just money grabbing!  An ANNUAL PASS is an ANNUAL PASS.  I disagree with any sort of charge but £5 was just about reasonable.  

It's a money sucking scheme like merlin do as usual.. They are just trying to get you to the buy the Horror pass so they can make more money than you visiting once for £5 with an annual pass. By making it £10 it makes the horror pass seem a lot more reasonable. Disagree with this fee though and will be booking before beginning of October.

It's a money sucking scheme like merlin do as usual.. They are just trying to get you to the buy the Horror pass so they can make more money than you visiting once for £5 with an annual pass. By making it £10 it makes the horror pass seem a lot more reasonable. Disagree with this fee though and will be booking before beginning of October.

The trouble is, I visit with friends who won't know when they are able to visit exactly until way past 1st October!

Also, I doubt they will be prepared to pay £10, I know I'm not!

Sod them, they won't be getting my custom.

To be fair at alton you have to pay for some of the mazes... If you go to fright nights for the mazes £5 is reasonable(£10 is not!) however if you just go to fright nights for the rides it is definately not worth it. I rather would have all mazes included in fright nights however think £10 is overpriced and money grabbing especially as you have already paid for a pass.

It does take advantage of the fact that not many poeple will know THAT much in advance and as an AP holder, your visit could be a bit more 'impulsive' than someone who'd have to buy a day ticket etc.

Considering I don't actually plan on going in many of the mazes, if I don't know what date I'll be going for definite before October, I'll probably be giving FN a miss and heading for Chessington.

Also, remember that extra charge for The Passing- could we see that this year for the new attraction? 

Think about it though.  People with annual passes who aren't interested in Fright Nights are pretty much blocked out of the park for a month.  Would you want to pay £10 for an event that you aren't taking part in?
(Not speaking from my point of view.  I absoloutely love Fright Nights but £10 is far too much).

Thank you! I think that you should receive a wristband or something if you're actually interested in going into to mazes and have paid for that 'perk' etc. one of the main reasons I actually go to FN is for the rides in the dark and I'd imagine there'd still have to be a bit of a charge like with summer nights, but I think there should be different 'packages' or something. Couldn't see something like that being executed very well though. 

Think that's a really good idea Paige however I don't think staff would actually bother to check the wristbands. They were never checked on summer nights so don't see why the staff would bother to check that people have paid the extra perk for the mazes.

Would be very good for AP holders and the GP though, ones who just want to do the rides get in at a cheaper rate than those who are doing the mazes(AP holders free who don't want to do the mazes). However, nothing more than around £5 extra would I really be happy with.

It will be interesting to see how much the horror pass is, hopefully for annual pass holders it is relatively cheap however seeing as the price has now gone up to £10 per visit I would imagine it is in the range of £30.

I might also say how I'm annoyed about the fastracks, I just got 4(per member in group) fastracks thrown in my face by customer services as thousands of other people will be and offering more free fastracks will make the ratios even more dreadful than last year when they were about 3:1.

I hate this idea of a horror pass.

• I own an annual pass, so don't expect to have to pay for another pass.
  • Blatantly just a way to justify charging £10 up front (which it isn't)
  • Ultimately forces people to pay more either way
  • Giving out MORE free fastracks!  The ratios of fastrack : normal queue were ridiculous last year, I can only dread to think of what they will be like this year!

Greed, greed, greed!  And they are getting rid of their best maze!  :angry2:

Annual Passes should be as simple as possible.  People may not want to be bombarded with 'Do you want perk x, y or z with your Standard Annual Pass?', especially if those perks are only going to affect you for 3-4 weeks of the year.  Having a two tier system (well, technically three, but the VIP pass has a very small market) works well. 

The trouble with issuing wristbands is that it is a lot more faffing around really.  It works for Summer Nights given the small number of guests taking part.  But imagine having to issue wristbands to 10000 guests, just so a few who don't want to do the mazes don't have to pay as much.  Just not going to work well, is it?  And given that there's 5 FN attractions, I don't think having them all as pay extras (and hence dropping the AP charge altogether) would work either.  

I agree that £10 is very steep and that this is merely a way of getting people to either upgrade to a Premium Pass, or upgrade to a Horror Pass.  The Horror Pass is an interesting one - offering it in the week's leading up to Fright Nights is good, but I think that's the only time it should be advertised (otherwise it makes it too confusing).  It shouldn't be seen as a new pass or upgrade either in my eyes - more just a bolt on in my opinion; though I doubt it'll be advertised as such.

Of course, Thorpe will justify the charges to a degree since you are getting the extended opening hours regardless.  Though I think charging AP holders more than what they get charged for Summer Nights is a bit of a silly idea.   

Of course, Thorpe will justify the charges to a degree since you are getting the extended opening hours regardless.  Though I think charging AP holders more than what they get charged for Summer Nights is a bit of a silly idea.   

Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Oakwood, Drayton Manor and Adventure Island all open late at certain times of the year for events and do not charge any extra admission for annual passholders!  (Although admittedly Alton do charge per maze, which I also disagree with to some extent).

Not a good enough excuse.

Alton towers do fireworks at the end of the year with no extra charge and later hours. It is NOT a good enough excuse and it is not justified that they have doubled the price for AP holders to make more money. Thorpe already have ridiculously expensive tickets and charge extra for car parking and fastracks, they are making plenty of money and it is totally unnecessary that they have doubled the price of this ticket just because of a couple of extra hours on park(bearing in mind the hours were the same last year and the mazes were free, and they only charge £5). It is bordering on ridiculous how money sucking and desperate they are getting.

Certain levels of Disney annual passes exclude you from dates (some of which are entirely random) and same with Universal where Horror Nights isn't included or you can only go to one night free of charge. It is what it is, one of the perks of upgrading to the next tier of pass is to get free Fright Nights entry. There was a time when the £5 entry was implemented where there wasn't an annual pass even on offer that gave you free entry. 

THORPE PARK 
An event booking fee will apply to Fright Nights and other special events at THORPE PARK regardless of the time of entry or departure; 

Not once does the Merlin terms state that it will be £5, just an undecided booking fee that for the past few years has been £5. Don't like the system, don't go. It's as simple as that.

Alton Towers, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Oakwood, Drayton Manor and Adventure Island all open late at certain times of the year for events and do not charge any extra admission for annual passholders!  (Although admittedly Alton do charge per maze, which I also disagree with to some extent).

Not a good enough excuse.

I'm not saying it's a good reason, but that will be their reason.  

Let's also remember that after 3pm/4pm (whatever they decide this season), the park - theoretically - changes completely, with roaming actors, change in music and more (hopefully more park wide theming this season; fingers crossed ey!).  So, in effect, the park is turned into a whole different attraction for Fright Nights, and that could well be reflected in an increase in price.  

The other parks you list, when open late, don't offer much more than a fireworks show (correct me if I'm wrong though), which usually aren't paid for extras.  

It's a difficult one really.  But if you put yourself in the park's shoes, you can see that charge they have in place isn't simply for pure profit.  I'm hopeful that the increase in price reflects an increase in quality, though.  

The other parks you list, when open late, don't offer much more than a fireworks show (correct me if I'm wrong though), which usually aren't paid for extras.  

It's a difficult one really.  But if you put yourself in the park's shoes, you can see that charge they have in place isn't simply for pure profit.  I'm hopeful that the increase in price reflects an increase in quality, though.  

BPB:  Vampire Beach on 31st October at BPB, plus closing at midnight in November, plus live performers at the 10pm closes throughout the summer.

Alton Towers:  At least one free Scarefest maze.

Oakwood:  Fireworks, diving show, live stage performers.

So, in effect, the park is turned into a whole different attraction for Fright Nights, and that could well be reflected in an increase in price.  

Yes because a bit of removable angry birds theming is making the park a whole different experience...

Certain levels of Disney annual passes exclude you from dates (some of which are entirely random) and same with Universal where Horror Nights isn't included or you can only go to one night free of charge.

Thorpe DO offer a preview night however it is going to be on the most inconvenient day possible by the looks of things, a Thursday. Not only will I not be able to visit, many other people will be at school or work making it very inconvenient. This then subjects you to having to pay the £10 fee to visit a fright nights.

On a separate note, I wonder what they will do with the Dodgems and the 4D experience. I imagine the Dodgems may close or get special covers on them with some sort of Halloween theming. As for the 4D, I hope they can put some sort of 3D horror experience on, some sort of short film or something maybe made by LIONSGATE. Would be a very nice touch seeing as the cinema never has a queue and would be nice to see an extra something for fright nights in the 4D cinema as I imagine the angry birds experience will close.

BPB:  Vampire Beach on 31st October at BPB, plus closing at midnight in November, plus live performers at the 10pm closes throughout the summer.

Alton Towers:  At least one free Scarefest maze.

Oakwood:  Fireworks, diving show, live stage performers.

Fair enough.  I can't comment too much on BPB (not really knowing or caring that much about the place), however...

Thorpe Park:  5 (five) free Fright Nights attractions, roaming actors, small shows (albeit, poorly advertised), open till 10pm and more.  Cabin in the Woods has also been critically acclaimed, and I'd be surprised if Thorpe don't try to use that to their advantage.

Alton Towers:  2 free Scarefest attractions, couple of Scarefest things for younger kids, open till 9pm.

Oakwood:  All that (which isn't exactly special or enticing) and open till 10pm.

Thorpe certainly seems the best option out of all of that!  

Yes because a bit of removable angry birds theming is making the park a whole different experience...

Well, there's going to be a lot more than that; that's my point..