Holiday World

EC!

So this will be the page for Holiday world in Indiana, USA. This park is home to 3 famous woodies, Raven, The Legend and The Voyage. 

100_0358.jpg

Raven

legend.jpg

The Legend

HolidayWorldTheVoyage.jpg

The Voyage

All 3 are highly respected rides in America. And for 2015 it looks like they will be getting their first ever big steel coaster!

Rumours were initially were RMC or Mack however the most likely rumour now is a B&M mainly due to the footers on site.

These are the footers found on the holiday world site:

hwconstruction2.jpeg

Notice the footers with the almond/ova shaped holes in the middle of the shot.

Then look at Banshee and Krake's:

KI-2014%20087.jpg

184244d1369776063-2014-neuheit-flug-der-

This among many websites, they think is conformation that this will be in fact a B&M. With lots thinking this could be B&M's first inhouse launch coaster. Due to the fact that the footers shown are too close together to be considered for a lift hill, but too wide for a brake run. Although this is still a rumour it is a very likely one, and one that will be revealed on July 24th.

Here is the micro site: http://www.holidayworld.com/66days/

Dicuss away on this new ride and the others if you have been here!

• 3 weeks later...

From Holiday Worlds Holiblog:

About a month ago, a coworker (Hi, Andrew!) tried to get me to share what we’re building in 2015 (yes, it’s top secret; most members of our full-time staff don’t know all of what we’re doing).

Of course, one of his many guesses (like so many of you out there) was a steel coaster.

After he guessed, he stopped a moment and added, “Probably not, right? Is it true that your dad said he’d never build a steel coaster because it wasn’t family-friendly?”

The answer is yes. My dad probably told me that every time I requested a steel coaster (afterconquering my fears, I requested one rather frequently). So I probably got that excuse daily.

Honestly, I don’t think he ever meant it. That response really meant I needed to shut my mouth (it only took me until now to realize that — sorry, Dad!).

Through the years, my requests became less frequent and my argument pro-steel became structured and more complex. His arguments against did not.

One day, he came home with drawings.

I believe the time was circa 2006, after The Voyage had opened. I can’t forget him laying those drawings down on our kitchen table.

I jumped in place and squealed. He told me he was planning on building in ’09 or ’10.

14706761393_b3e6d8b390.jpg

Since I was graduating high school in 2009, I decided it was a graduation present for me.

It would have been a truly unique ride—Dad liked to build really great things, often the first of their kind.

By now, you’ve figured out that design never came to fruition. My graduation present was nice, but certainly not a steel coaster.

In 2010, we did get an amazing first-of-its-kind coaster, the Wildebeest water coaster. It definitely was not what I was expecting, but aren’t the best things always unexpected?

As much fun as it would be to resurrect the designs he showed me that day, he had already moved past that technology and was dreaming of something different by the time of his passing.

With the promise still lingering out there, I have only this to say: if he were here, I’m certain what we’re building would be his dream.

And I’ll add to his promise: what we’re building is going to be truly unique.

The first of its kind.

This basically confirms its a steel coaster and the fact it will the first of its kind on the planet, with it being rumoured to be a B&M, I wonder what if it is them are they bringing to holiday world :P

So It's announced they are building a 60MPH LSM (using a flywheel generator) LAUNCHED WING RIDER!!! B&M Just wow!!

"HOLIDAY WORLD ANNOUNCES THUNDERBIRD, THE NATION’S FIRST LAUNCHED WING COASTER

SANTA CLAUS, IND—

The nation’s first launched wing coaster will take flight over Holiday World in 2015.

Named Thunderbird, Holiday World’s first major steel roller coaster will feature a zero-to-60 miles-per-hour launch in 3.5 seconds, followed by multiple inversions – including a 14-story Immelmann loop, Zero-g roll, barrel roll, and loop.

Continuing Holiday World’s tradition of sending roller coasters through its thickly wooded and hilly terrain, Thunderbird will at first soar and loop high in the air and then hug the ground, surprising riders with rapid-fire “near misses” such as keyholes, themed elements, other rides, trees, and even the ground.

“A wing coaster creates a feeling of incredible freedom – you ride beside the coaster track with nothing above or below you,” says Holiday World’s president, Matt Eckert. “Thunderbird is the first launched wing coaster in the nation – we can’t wait to ride it!”

Eckert calls Thunderbird’s manufacturer, Bolliger & Mabillard, the “Cadillac of roller coasters, known for their safety, quality and reliability. We’ve dreamed of adding a B&M steel coaster for many years and are excited that Thunderbird will be B&M’s first launched coaster.”

Thunderbird’s $22 million price tag is more than twice the amount of any other single-ride investment at

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari in the park’s 68-year history.

Thunderbird will be located in the park’s Thanksgiving section. Construction is already underway and may be viewed live on Holiday World’s ConstructionCam. Thunderbird will open next spring."

I think the tree's will provide some of that near miss sort of thing seeming its being built in a wood, but I think it looks great, for a first big steel coaster its the perfect pulling machine for them, should be smoother and better then Baco as well!! Tbh this was never going to have themeing on par with the European wing riders but it looks like it is the best themed in the country as gate keeper has non neither does Wild eagle, and X-flight only has a very cheap looking control tower as a themeing piece. It seems to at least have as many near misses (if not more) as Flug Der Damonen though which I think is good personally.

More videos ahoy!

Flyaround:

Train:

Compilation shot video:

Announcement Video: ( Quite like Banshee's in how the ride reveals its self!)

Official Statement:

TRACK LENGTH: 3,035 feet

RIDE HEIGHT: 140 feet at Immelmann loop’s peak

RIDE ELEMENTS:

From start to finish:
Launch, using LSM technology
Immelmann loop
Loop
Horseshoe
Elevated Spiral
Zero-G roll
S curve
2 “headchopper” keyholes
Carousel
360 in-line twist (barrel roll)
2 Crossovers with The Voyage

SPEED: Thunderbird’s top speed is 60 miles per hour

RIDE TIME: 1 minute, 18 seconds (station to station)

RIDE VIDEO: http://HolidayWorld2015.com

TRAINS: Two trains, each with five four-person coaches

CAPACITY: 1,140 Guests per hour

HEIGHT LIMIT: Riders must be at least 52 inches tall

INVESTMENT: $22 million

RIDE DESIGNER: Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M), Switzerland

LEGEND: In 1620, as the Mayflower neared the end of its 66 days at sea, a mighty storm nearly capsized
the ship, taking it hundreds of miles off course. As passengers and crew feared all was lost, an immense bird appeared in the sky. The thunderbird, whose wings created the thunder and eyes flashed the lightning of the powerful storm, rescued the ship by launching it through the sky to the New World.

thumb_bt15logo-transparent.png

thumb_layout_7.jpg

thumb_corncribelev1.jpg

thumb_corncribelev2.jpg

thumb_powerbldgelev.jpg

thumb_stationsouthelev.jpg

thumb_stationwestelev.jpg

thunderbird_02_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_03_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_04_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_05b_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_06b_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_07_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_09_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_10_11x17_600dpi.jpg

thunderbird_aerial_11x17_600dpi.jpg

Launch on the wingrider looks interesting - certainly some of the elements earlier in the ride look like they're going to be taken at some speed, which is different compared to most wingriders.  The zero-g looks like it could end up being a highlight!  I agree with pluk about the near misses (or lack of) if the POV holds accurate, but that's something not to judge at this stage.

The shorter trains are an odd one actually; perhaps to minimise risks with B&M's first launch coaster?  Good to see B&M expanding out and hope this is a success for them!

A B&M launch, very excited and happy about that, wonder how it'll, compare to the likes of the Mack launched rides. Either way, I'm very excited about this new ride which is not just another exciting looking B&M and Wing Rider but is expanding the company's product range with its new launch concept.

Looks odd seeing a B&M with trains that short and no lift hill :o Although we did see them clone a Vekoma Junior inverted thing in China so Bolliger and Walter are obviously on some dodgy stuff. Although I remember them saying with Leviathan that they'd never gone to and over 300 feet previously because they weren't previously asked to do so.

Oh well, the short trains on such large track do look strange but they will hold 20 people each which is the same as Stealth and Rita. And although the launch mechanism isn't done by B&M I still class Hulk a launched B&M as after all, it is B&M track and trains and they designed the coaster around the launched hill :P Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Also, 52 inches is 1.32 metres which many more B&M's seem to be going for their height restrictions as they were known for only doing 1.4 or 54 inches.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...