Chessington Winter Trail - New For 2014

10636256_365204216981381_836638542681551

New for 2014 - The one and only Gruffalo joins the Chessington cast from the deep dark wood for a festive family show on the Africa Stage, followed by meet n’greets and a themed quiz trail to lead inquisitive children around the Zoo where they’ll come face to face with some familiar creatures.

http://www.chessington.com/explore/event/chessington-winters-tail.aspx

A lot of Grottoes were paid for when I was a kid, and that was 30 years ago!  With entry only being £10 in the first place that seems fair enough to me. Scrub that, so it's £15/£12 to get in plus £10 for the show thing plus £5 for Santa. Without a single ride being open it seems? Blimey, I don't think so!

I think £5 is just about justifiable as entry is only £10 pp for non pass holders.

You should see Leholand's Christmas event which is almost £30 on peak days where only some of the rides are open alongside a grotto and other things, even pass holders have to pay.

Back on topic, does sound quite a nice little event for the park, however there's not really enough there forme to be worth a visit though.

It says you can pay £5.00 to visit Santa (and get a present!) but that doesn't include access to the rest of the park!

So does that mean you can pay just £5.00 to see Father Christmas and if you say you don't want to access the rest of the park, you don't have to pay the park entrance fee?  And if that is the case, how are they going to stop those who have only paid the £5.00 Grotto fee from wandering off to the rest of the park?

http://www.chessington.com/explore/event/chessington-winters-tail.aspx

Grotto tickets

A visit to the grotto costs £5, which includes a gift. Tickets need to be pre-booked online before you arrive to avoid disapointment.  (Their spelling error, not mine!)

Grotto tickets do not allow you entry into the Resort, to enter the Resort please purchase a Winter’s Tail ticket or use a valid Annual Pass.

It means you have to have a valid entrance ticket to be able to go to the Grotto. The Grotto is an extra on top of park tickets, for use one you're in the park, not a way of getting, essentially.

I thought as much, but not well worded by Chessington.  Going on what they have written, someone could turn up and say they only want their child to visit Santa and don't want access to the park.  It doesn't say you have to purchase a park admission ticket and only says your Grotto ticket does not provide access to the rest of the park.

Seems very strange that chessington can't dig a tiny bit into their budget to open a couple of childrens rides. Seeing as the new show is in Africa this year, it would only be logical to open a couple of kids rides like the bouncers and toadies in order to satisfy the kids.

Last year, bubbleworks and hocus pocus were open, so would be good if they actually opened a couple of rides this year. I'm not saying anything major, just a few to satisfy the kids. For example, hocus pocus, jungle bouncers and toadies. Seeing as these will be the areas open for the event, it would be nice if the park put in a little effort of opening something up, as when I visited a couple of years back it only took us a couple of hours to do the sealife and zoo, meaning we just rode bubbleworks a hell of a load of times. The park should be open from 10am-3pm however the amount the park are offering isn't enough to cover all of this time. A couple of rides would be a really nice touch like they have done in previous years.

I do hope that Heath and saftey ensure this years grotto has an actual risk assessment, unlike last years!! Lol

It will be good to see the Madagascar stage get some more use (although it's a winter wind trap!).

I did wonder if 2015's Penguins of Madagascar 'upgrade' would cause some problems, as the new penguin enclosure might.. Then I remembered that it's Chessington, so nothing will happen until 6 weeks before the new season anyway!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to Winter's Tale earlier today.  Was pretty good - big Christmas tree in Market Square and some other decorations around the park, Christmas music playing (although it could have been better/more variety), Bubbleworks, Carousel and Hocus Pocus Hall open as well as Amazu treetop thing, Zoo and Sealife.  I was a bit disappointed that the monkey walkthrough has changed, it used to be really long but just goes round one corner - was still good though.

Count:

Bubbleworks x4

Carousel x1

Hocus Pocus Hall x1

Amazu Treetop's Trail x1

Amazu Monkey Walkthrough x1

(And obviously Sealife and the Zoo).

Overall I was impressed with the event - whilst it would have been nice to have a few more rides open, everything that was advertised to be open was and it was nice to be back at a theme park!