The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

I'd say the chances of it being renamed are quite high but I'm just speculating. I'd certainly rename it and change its identity.

They've even removed elements of Oblivion's theme in response to the incident , so wouldn't be surprised if they go further.

the injuries make the entire "marmalise your body" and "you belong to the smiler" hospital persona seem very bad taste. I thought it was a naff expression of a brilliant concept anyway.

There are better ways of making the ride apparopriate while maintaining the ride's ballsy and shocking atmosphere, but I'd say a name change at least is on the cards

I just think all the themes and then the videos they brang out before the release of this ride would not be suitable anymore after the crash and I don't think the sanctuary will be returning to this year scarefest line up

To be fair, The Sanctuary could work as a stand alone theme if they remove any mention of the "Ministry of Joy" and change the logo so that it doesn't resemble The Smiler's in any way.

I can see your point however the whole maze is to do with marmolizing the body so would it not have to be a completely new theme? And would they really want a hospital based horror maze after what happened to the people in the crash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've even removed elements of Oblivion's theme in response to the incident , so wouldn't be surprised if they go further.

Oh, I didn't know this. Have they taken out the video elements relating to it being dangerous and you might not survive /come back? Understandable maybe, but a real shame if they have.

Oh, I didn't know this. Have they taken out the video elements relating to it being dangerous and you might not survive /come back? Understandable maybe, but a real shame if they have.

Yes, and also the comments that 'This ride is perfectly safe' on the monitors :(

I've never been a huge fan of the name "The Smiler" although it did grow on me a bit.  I think the advertising they did for it was fantastic and worked well - however, I wouldn't be at all shocked if they were to rename it/rebrand it when it opens again

Yes, and also the comments that 'This ride is perfectly safe' on the monitors :(

Ah nuts! :(

They won't be damned if they do, it's probably expected of them (in a PR world) at some point in the future after they've reopened the ride. Only the stupidest tabloids would complain that they were 'trying to pretend it was a different ride' or something.

And yes I really hope Oblivion comes out of this well. It's a great theme (the original "secret weapon" theme repurposed) and The Smiler had half the atmosphere Oblivon originally held. Oblivion's original concept was watered down anyway during construction, would hate to see it lose its persona even more (if the years of decline havn't done that already).

Damn, realised I missed a trick not making a video of Kay Burley interviewing the Lord of Darkness about Alton Towers safety. I'll get round to it..

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't (assuming HSE lift the prohibition order).

^^ This....

If The Smiler reopens under the same name Alton Towers will no doubt be criticized and called insensitive, if they rename it then they will still get criticism - probably accusations of trying to cover something up etc

Only the stupidest tabloids would complain that they were 'trying to pretend it was a different ride' or something.

The same tabloids that still think the car was stuck upside down for 20 minutes? The trouble is there are more people who believe the crap written by the 'stupidist tabloids' than there are that don't, we are a minority and our opinion is really of no consequence to Alton in comparison to the majority of their customers who may be swayed. As Han30 says, it doesn't matter what they do, the media will find a way to twist it to their point of view.

Should have heard some of the comments we got from friends who would be considered middle to upper class well educated last week, they were genuinely shocked we hadn't cancelled the our trip 'because of the rollercoaster crash'.

Just a thought, they could keep the name and theme music for The Smiler but completely change the concept to a less sinister theme, it could have a more "crazy" theme rather than all the "mess with your body and mind" stuff.

Nooooo, that would never get my vote. The reason the whole "Marmalising" theme works is because, (in a similar way to Oblivion) no one can really tell what's actually going on. The idea behind a nation full of smiling citizens seems totally innocent at first, until you merge it with the whole mechanical undertone and twisted persona of the attraction, making a unique contrasting atmosphere.

The shop videos convey this idea excellently. The majority of the video just shows the two actors presenting the products and all seems fine, until one of them says "The Smiler", at which point we see the ride as something far more evil and strange. Its the sinister undertone that makes The Smiler work in my opinion. Is it just something to make you smile, or is something much greater at large? Are you unknowingly surrendering yourself to a lifetime of advocation towards the Ministry of Joy? Or is it just all for fun?

I know Merlin like to use the whole "its physiological" to all of their coasters now, but to me, The Smiler is the only one where it is actually effective. Not to say anyone actually believes in the theme, that would be mental. But what it does do, is add an extra edge, it gives it that lure that makes it a little more special than the other coasters in the park. As other's have said (?) it is certainly the strongest and most interesting brand to have hit the park since Oblivion, it would be a shame to see it diluted so quickly.

Nooooo, that would never get my vote. The reason the whole "Marmalising" theme works is because, (in a similar way to Oblivion) no one can really tell what's actually going on. The idea behind a nation full of smiling citizens seems totally innocent at first, until you merge it with the whole mechanical undertone and twisted persona of the attraction, making a unique contrasting atmosphere. That's what I personally really like about The Smiler.

The shop videos convey this idea excellently. The majority of the video just shows the two actors presenting the products and all seems fine, until one of them says "The Smiler", at which point we see the ride as something far more evil and strange. Its the sinister undertone that makes The Smiler work in my opinion. Is it just something to make you smile, or is something much greater at large? Are you unknowingly surrendering yourself to a lifetime of advocation towards the Ministry of Joy? Or is it just all for fun?

I know Merlin like to use the whole "its physiological" to all of their coasters now, but to me, The Smiler is the only one where it is actually effective. Not to say anyone actually believes in the theme, that would be mental. But what it does do, is add an extra edge, it gives it that lure that makes it a little more special than the other coasters in the park. As other's have said (?) it is certainly the strongest and most interesting brand to have hit the park since Oblivion, it would be a shame to see it diluted so quickly.

Yes I agree that it would be a shame to lose the current theme, but let's be honest, it isn't exactly conveyed well.  I'm pretty sure that very few people who ride it actually know the full Ministry of Joy theme as there is nothing really explaining it, the idea that "The Smiler will mess with your body and mind" is there but apart from that it's not really made clear.

That's true Ben The Smiler's concept is so much fun to buy into. It has a real energy that makes the experience something else, but the scenic design is so botched that it's only a fraction of what could have been.

I also think some parts are so rushed and poorly directed a good idea comes across as tacky and bad taste. For example, if they reshot the Smiler shop TV with a real scriptwriter and actors, then more riders would actually be amused or engaged with them, it would work. I'd also love the music to be remixed. Sonically it is pure genius and one of my favourite theme park tracks, but every now and then it oversteps the mark and goes from enjoyably shocking, deranged to just cheap and offensive to the ear ("Ha ha ha" forever with predictable key changes).

The less said about the recycling bins on the Marmaliser, the dumb "Ministry of Joy" backstory that comes across worse than fan fiction you read on forums, and the masses of bare concrete - the better.

This could be the opportunity to take a big long look at the Smiler and make it something more polished and better, rather than just removing its whole entertainment factor.

Wouldn't be a surprise if a lot of the theming budget disappeared with the landslip issues that plagued the ride's early construction...

Going through Oblivio's queue at Garda makes Smiler seem even more of a missed opportunity... Imagine having a long indoor queue full of effects and stuff rather than the crap excuse of one we have now? Or a themed building...

They won't do anything further to it though...

• Marc unpinned this topic