Pesky Closed Days

planenut

Without planning too much I had intended attending TP today to catch some reasonable weather and before my shifts start again - to find last evening that it is not open. I may be the only one, but Fright Nights are of no interest to me except for perhaps getting some late rides, be it with an extra payment.

Annoyed I'll now have to think about doing some things around the home.

Frustrated that I haven't ridden a coaster since Sunday, and not much time left.

I don't think you'll be the only one annoyed as there must be people who had planned a visit Tues-Thurs.  Fright Nights isn't to everyones taste but it is the parks busiest time of year so I guess if it means they will be fully prepared during the close days for when FN starts then they might get less complaints from the GP.  You could always watch some POVs of....stealth?!!!  Damn this has made me realise that once Fright Nights are over, the closed season will fast approach - argh!

6 hours ago, Benin said:

Of course, thinking slightly outside the box, you could visit parks that remain open throughout the UK closed season...

Maybe they could but I question whether there is the demand to remain open in the winter in the uk. Also some rides wouldn't be able to open in certain weather conditions to.

I don't think Thorpe would open for winter, though it depends on the type of winter we get... Last year's for example would've seen a great response if the parks had been open because of the ridiculous mildness of it all... But the UK weather isn't predictable enough for it to work, but that's why you look abroad if you're that desperate for rides when our parks are closed...

Years ago Legoland used to have a fab Christmas event with all the rides open... Lego and Chessie would do well to review such events, rather than their offerings these days...

Can't see Thorpe opening anytime soon for winte openings personally.

apart from the more agreesive maintenance/work schedule, there's also weather conditions to consider which as a result would limit rides like Colossus, Saw and tidal wave from opening.

Legoland do hold an annual Christmas event on selected days, but I'd personally save your money for Winter Wonderland or abroad (if affordable (see my other post)) as it's quite a lot for what it is. 

5 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Can't see Thorpe opening anytime soon for winte openings personally.

apart from the more agreesive maintenance/work schedule, there's also weather conditions to consider which as a result would limit rides like Colossus, Saw and tidal wave from opening.

Having seen Tidal, Loggers and Rumba operating in minus temperatures and the snow, there isn't a reason, operationally why Thorpe couldn't open in Winter. The issue they have is getting people to go to the park when traditionally, the parks are dead September onward, Fright Nights excluded.

Some coaster train wheels have to be of a minimum temperature to run freely and achieve the run; some loading platforms have wheel level heaters to assist that, Colossus being one of them. Therefore the fluctuations of temperature have a strong bearing on whether a ride will complete it's run.

That said, most of the staff are seasonal and therefore the cost of retaining enough who are "currently" trained in the operation of the rides is prohibitive.

The reasoning behind TP's closures at this time, in the supposed open season, is somewhat different.