Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually StevenVig I have a friend with a brother who is 28 and has autism and going on children's rides that he can fit in calms him and he finds it enjoyable. So there are people who go on children'

Why an Indian tourist? How is this relevant?

Think your name ideas are awful. Nothing wrong with what they’re called now.

After watching POVs of the new rides and area  all I can say is 'awful' - so cheap and static. ok it's clean and neat (for now) but the lack of budget is so apparent Theming is garden centre standard, and so......dull, boring enough for children, painful for parents! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrmonkey said:

After watching POVs of the new rides and area  all I can say is 'awful' - so cheap and static. ok it's clean and neat (for now) but the lack of budget is so apparent Theming is garden centre standard, and so......dull, boring enough for children, painful for parents! 

I disagree. The area for sure is nothing to write home about, but they didn't exactly have much space or much to work with in the first place. It is a really small area, honestly I did not mind the lack of theming considering the area is two rethemes and a mini log flume.

I experienced River Rafts back in March with the nephews and it was a good addition, its good for the children who aren't tall enough for Tiger Rock. Its not elaborate, but it does the job just fine.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I bash the sh** out of Merlin, I honestly think this area is fine. Its a very small kids area, its not really meant to be immersive or high budget. Its a fresh lick of paint on two old kids rides, and a new kids ride that fits the park's audience perfectly with a small bit of theming. Nothing more, nothing less. I would take this over Black Mirror any day of the bloody week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MarkC said:

This literally sums up merlins view for everything. They shouldn't be aiming for 'just fine' if they want to be a classed as a world class attraction provider.

Exactly this. When other parks are exceeding expectations - 'does the job' I.e. 'meets expectation' - doesn't pass muster I'm afraid! Is this really what the 'best' theme parks in the UK can come up with 

 

And its not simply a budgetary issue - many small attractions win at adding little details, or quirky elements, or little 'in jokes' for parents to spot, or employing local artists to create a unique piece etc etc - I mean add some fog machines ffs or fibre optic twinkles - something!  also nothing moves! not even that dark ride section at the end! 

 

if this was flamingo land, Crealy, or even Drayton Manor then fair enough - would be a good fit! But this is Chessington and considering it's Pedigree - is another flat note!

 

An example of what can be done - take a look at the K2 coaster/dark ride (and other developments) at  karls erlebnis-dorf  in Germany! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoshuaA said:

As much as I bash the sh** out of Merlin, I honestly think this area is fine. Its a very small kids area, its not really meant to be immersive or high budget. Its a fresh lick of paint on two old kids rides, and a new kids ride that fits the park's audience perfectly with a small bit of theming. Nothing more, nothing less. I would take this over Black Mirror any day of the bloody week. 

 

How can you comment that you would take this over Black Mirror when you haven't experienced it yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MarkC said:

How can you comment that you would take this over Black Mirror when you haven't experienced it yet.

Because it is a 'live experience'. Black Mirror is somewhat of a tale we have all heard before.

  • IAC- Basically phased out of the park. Probably down to not being popular and draining staff. Also a live experience maze-esque BS
  • Saw Alive- Different case. But live attraction that just wasn't popular enough after a couple of years
  • Sub Terra- Technically a ride. But had huge emphasis on its story and the actors. Was neutered before being murdered for good.
  • DBGT- its a ride okay. But like Sub Terrible, big focus on its flashy bells and whistles. Seems to be on the decline on popularity

TLDR: Live attractions don't end well in parks. People want fun rides, not a bunch of bells and whistles disguised as a ride.

I would rather Chessington receive a mini log flume with bad theming than receive a tryhard attraction that burns out in 3 years time..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

I honestly think this area is fine. Its a very small kids area, its not really meant to be immersive or high budget. Its a fresh lick of paint on two old kids rides, and a new kids ride that fits the park's audience perfectly with a small bit of theming. Nothing more, nothing less. I would take this over Black Mirror any day of the bloody week. 

But even just as that, the area was better before. Well before Toadies got so worn out.  The new ending to Toadies is pathetic and dull. Even Berry Bouncers was arguably better, because now you just awkwardly face the back side from the main path where it's most visible. The whole thing is really poor quality. The log flume is 'better than nothing' but still extremely cheaply done for kids

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it comes down to expectations. What have Merlin done over the past 10 years to make anyone think that their attractions should be classed as world class? Even moreso over the past 5 years.

 

Merlin's investments do the job. They're better than quite a few parks, and at an individual park level their larger investments are more regular than quite a lot of other parks (although it has stretched out further admittedly). "It's fine" sums it up quite nicely.

 

We can want Merlin parks to do fantastic things. We can want every park in the world to do fantastic things. But honestly, Merlin don't hit the fantastic mark often, so it just feels unrealistic to expect that. You could argue it's a pessimistic outlook, but equally it's quite realistic imo

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

I guess it comes down to expectations. What have Merlin done over the past 10 years to make anyone think that their attractions should be classed as world class? Even moreso over the past 5 years.

Absolutely nothing. That's my point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JoshC. said:

I guess it comes down to expectations. What have Merlin done over the past 10 years to make anyone think that their attractions should be classed as world class? Even moreso over the past 5 years.

 

Merlin's investments do the job. They're better than quite a few parks, and at an individual park level their larger investments are more regular than quite a lot of other parks (although it has stretched out further admittedly). "It's fine" sums it up quite nicely.

 

We can want Merlin parks to do fantastic things. We can want every park in the world to do fantastic things. But honestly, Merlin don't hit the fantastic mark often, so it just feels unrealistic to expect that. You could argue it's a pessimistic outlook, but equally it's quite realistic imo

You are right, and thats the sad fact, as a park (and merlin as a chain) expectations have fallen.  They used to be top tier parks in the UK (with Drayton, American Adventure, and Camelot being second - and maybe Pleasurewood hills, Flamingoland etc as forth tier

 

Now there feel third tier - and the presentation isn't any better than something Crealy could do! - a Shame 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 8:20 PM, JoshC. said:

We can want Merlin parks to do fantastic things. We can want every park in the world to do fantastic things. But honestly, Merlin don't hit the fantastic mark often, so it just feels unrealistic to expect that. You could argue it's a pessimistic outlook, but equally it's quite realistic imo

Is it too much to expect the same park to be as good as it was 20-30 years ago, especially for such a basic investment as a small childrens area retheme? Especially when prices have generally gone up

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2020 at 3:37 PM, SteveJ said:

Is it too much to expect the same park to be as good as it was 20-30 years ago, especially for such a basic investment as a small childrens area retheme? Especially when prices have generally gone up

I get your point, I do.

 

But how often have Merlin's investment been "good"? How often have the hit the mark and truly got it right? Not often in my opinion. So it's hard to expect a good investment when their track record is so hit-and-miss. 

 

I want stuff to be good, I hope for stuff to be good. Doesn't mean I can expect it though. For now, all I can expect is for it to not make things actively worse than they were before: this children's area seems to do that (indeed, the addition of the log flume is a great step forward imo). 

 

And honestly, I hate feeling this way. New additions at theme parks should come expectations they'll be fun and great additions. Having a personal expectation set low isn't a good thing. A company such as Merlin do have the ability and staff to be able to make things great. But it just doesn't happen all that often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoshC. said:

And honestly, I hate feeling this way. New additions at theme parks should come expectations they'll be fun and great additions. Having a personal expectation set low isn't a good thing. A company such as Merlin do have the ability and staff to be able to make things great. But it just doesn't happen all that often.

Yes that's it, I can tell you my expectation was that it was going to be poor, but the moment they produce something genuinly great I would fully appreciate it and sing their praises (like Wicker man which I thought was a fun ride all round!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Who else other than myself thinks that the names of the rides within The Rainforest are dull and boring? Personally if I was put in charge of choosing the name of the rides within The Rainforest I would have chosen the following.

 

I would have called the Jungle Rangers- Jungle Jeeps Rainforest Safari!

I would have called River Rafts-Cascading Crocodiles!

Finally I would have called Treetop Hoppers-Rainforest Jump!

 

Can you please give me your opinions on the names Chessington chose for the rides within the new Rainforest area. Don't misunderstand my views as I think that the Rainforest is a vast improvement on the old and worn out Toadies Crazy Cars that formally was located on this piece of land within Chessington. If Croc Drop is set to the standards as this Rainforest area and Land Of The Tigers it will be highly themed attraction. I personally love Drop Tower's and if themed to a high quality I can definitely say that Croc Drop will be one of or possibly even my favourite attraction in an English Theme Park.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ivsetti thanks for sharing your honest personal opinion on the names that I would have given to the trio of rides that are located in the newly created Rainforest land at Chessington.I

 

I must admit that if I was not aware that Derren Brown's Ghost Train was a VR ride that messed with your mind. I would have thought that the ride was a traditional Ghost Train for instance like Duel The Haunted House Strikes Back at Alton Towers.The only difference I would expect is Derren Brown theming littered throughout the ride. If I was an Indian tourist who has never heard of Darren Brown I would be left scratching my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Who else other than myself thinks that the names of the rides within The Rainforest are dull and boring? Personally if I was put in charge of choosing the name of the rides within The Rainforest I would have chosen the following.

 

I would have called the Jungle Rangers- Jungle Jeeps Rainforest Safari!

I would have called River Rafts-Cascading Crocodiles!

Finally I would have called Treetop Hoppers-Rainforest Jump!

 

Can you please give me your opinions on the names Chessington chose for the rides within the new Rainforest area. Don't misunderstand my views as I think that the Rainforest is a vast improvement on the old and worn out Toadies Crazy Cars that formally was located on this piece of land within Chessington. If Croc Drop is set to the standards as this Rainforest area and Land Of The Tigers it will be highly themed attraction. I personally love Drop Tower's and if themed to a high quality I can definitely say that Croc Drop will be one of or possibly even my favourite attraction in an English Theme Park.

Think your name ideas are awful. Nothing wrong with what they’re called now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Ivsetti thanks for sharing your honest personal opinion on the names that I would have given to the trio of rides that are located in the newly created Rainforest land at Chessington.I

 

I must admit that if I was not aware that Derren Brown's Ghost Train was a VR ride that messed with your mind. I would have thought that the ride was a traditional Ghost Train for instance like Duel The Haunted House Strikes Back at Alton Towers.The only difference I would expect is Derren Brown theming littered throughout the ride. If I was an Indian tourist who has never heard of Darren Brown I would be left scratching my head.


Why an Indian tourist? How is this relevant?

Link to post
Share on other sites

@professorb I used an Indian tourist as an example as Darren Brown is not a known celebrity in India. A way to explain my point is  the name Sandip Sopparker. If you lived in India you would definitely know who Sandip is as not only is he an extremely famous Bollywood dancer but,also  part of a panel of judges on the Indian equivalent of X-Factor or Britain’s Got Talent. I only knew who Sandip is because my maternal Grandad is Indian and Sandip happens to be a distant relative of his.

@professorb I hope this makes my example of an Indian tourist easier to understand. 
 

Please answer this truthfully,had you heard of Sandip Sopparker prior to reading my post?
 

Thanks for reading my post 

 

Kind regards Theme Park Fanatic  

Link to post
Share on other sites

That last post gave me a headache. Lets be realistic here, Merlin are not gonna rename minor rides that already have decent names. 

17 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

I must admit that if I was not aware that Derren Brown's Ghost Train was a VR ride that messed with your mind. I would have thought that the ride was a traditional Ghost Train for instance like Duel The Haunted House Strikes Back at Alton Towers.The only difference I would expect is Derren Brown theming littered throughout the ride. If I was an Indian tourist who has never heard of Darren Brown I would be left scratching my head.

I bet most foreign tourists scratch their heads at Cbeebies Land too, and to some people The Walking Dead will be a huge question mark. You can't please everyone, there is no singular IP that every person from every corner of the earth is going to know about. The Ghost Train isn't really even about Derren tbf, its got that weird fracking plot.

Really don't get your argument and whatever that last post was meant to be if I'm being honest.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:55 PM, MarkC said:

Think your name ideas are awful. Nothing wrong with what they’re called now.

Harsh! I like them - but Merlin have a imagination void so I'm not surprised. Theme parks should be a break from the the real world - and we shouldn't equate 'does the job' to them  - there should be interest and imagination! 

 

I miss the days of nice interesting sounding names like 'Phantom Fantasia', 'Miss Hippo's Fungle safari', 'Mr Rabbits Tropical Travels' 'Safari skyway' 'Professor Burp's bubbleworks etc. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say Merlin have completely lost their touch, The Smiler was kind of a weird name for a major thrill coaster. Merlin are MILES better than Six Flags for comparison. Imagine if every ride at their parks was called Goliath, The Joker, Batman The Ride, Superman, Crazanity, and Wonder Woman.. If you think Merlin are bad, Six Flags will give you a heart attack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoshuaA said:

Merlin are MILES better than Six Flags for comparison.

Six Flags parks are far off being theme parks though and don't try to, so reusing catchy names isn't so important. I have to agree I think Merlin have become quite unimagintive with names, they overcook it (The Smiler, THE Swarm) or they undercook it .

On 7/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, Ivsetti said:

a) short and easy to remember for asking directions and talking about a day later 

b) semi-descriptive of what you'd expect on the ride

c) exciting and interest-provoking

 

Spot on!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...