Th13teen

Sheepie

This is the thing with Alton Towers, though.They are (in my view, and presumably the majority - although maybe not on this forum) the best in the country at the theme park business, and a strong player in Europe. However, all too often do we see good quality new additions that could be made so much more "special" (I will refrain from using the banned "magic" word...) with just a few extra's. Corners are all too often cut because the budget just is not there.For example - had Air been built at Phantasialand, they'd never have left that tunnel the way it is (case in point: Black Mamba's pre-lift tunnel). If Efteling had created Th13teen, then you just know there'd have been some mist-filled headchopper/tunnels in the outdoor section (case in point: Die Vliegende Hollander coaster section). If Europa-Park had built Rita, the station would never have been essentially themeless nor outdoors (case in point: Blue Fire). Alton are always the first to try "new things" and I always will and have credited them for this - but with just a fraction more in the budget - imagine what they could add to the experience of so many of their rides.Th13teen is getting there, it's just a pity that the coaster itself is so weak! Nemesis and Oblivion are pretty much perfect however.;)

• 3 months later...

Th13teen is getting there, it's just a pity that the coaster itself is so weak! Nemesis and Oblivion are pretty much perfect however.

The themeing MAKES Th13teen, without nobody would care, you would have a crappy ride with a dark section. The theming is 10 times more impressive then the ride, I'm all for the way they have themed allbeit they could of of gone further but that doestn detere the fact it makes the ride how it is.

No, it's drawn in more people to the mark since what Air did nine years previous. It is no fail and has achieved exactly what it was intended to do. People on messages boards may be disappointed with it but it's popular among many of the park's visitors, especially smaller kids who can't get on all of the other rides.

• 4 weeks later...

People might have thought that the ride has been wrongly advertised and what not (admittedly, even the tv ad makes it looks like a ZOMG BONKERS THRILL) but the general public seem happy with it; again, another unique world first for them.At the end of the day, we shoulda seen it coming right from the get go when we saw the ride specs during construction that they where building it using the Intamin Family Coaster type. But also, maybe their reasons for using that ride type is the secret element could only be installed on that type, considering any budgets they had etc. It might have been a shed load more expensive to use maybe a mega-lite and install the element into it. Plus, the whole travelling backwards part, maybe the trains are far more suited for this section as well as travelling forward.

Thirteen does do what it's designed to do... And be a good enough coaster for the families to replace Corkscrew... With a very likely higher throughput to boot...I enjoy it to be fair, as I wasn't taken in by all the hype and never expected anymore than a family coaster, and also, the drop is actually very well done even if I would feel the ride would have been better served with said drop nearer the beginning to set off the ride rather than the middle...Plus, it has the best launch in the park <3

I enjoy it to be fair, as I wasn't taken in by all the hype and never expected anymore than a family coaster, and also, the drop is actually very well done even if I would feel the ride would have been better served with said drop nearer the beginning to set off the ride rather than the middle...

What if you like family rollercoasters, didn't buy any of the hype and still hate it?

What if you like family rollercoasters, didn't buy any of the hype and still hate it?

Each to their own.... ;) I liked Th13teen to be completely honest... I found the drop to be something that even though I expected I didn't expect it to feel quite the way it did. Also coming out of the station the first initial drop to go into the lift feels a lot steeper than it looks :)

I do absolutely love Thirteen, as many know. I could ride it over and over and find each ride just as enjoyable as the last. The second half of the outside section is a little bit of an anti climax, but the crypt and backwards portions of the ride are such a giggle, especailly with the reactions of the rest of the train.I've said it before, it has its faults and is far from a perfect experience, but I would happily queue an hour for it.

I don't really see how anybody can "hate" the ride... don't get me wrong, it's far from the best ride and certainly not up there with Alton's great coasters - but it's not exactly uncomfortable, has a unique feature, DOES create suprise amongst first time riders and is also pretty well themed.It certainly wasn't as good as it should have been, but I for one find it more bearable to ride than some of the countries other big rides. Saw gives me a bit of a headache, Cobra is just plain awful. Frankly bring on the next set of big rides at each of these parks.:)

Went on it again today with my Mum who had never been on it before...She really enjoyed it, and I realised the high amount of airtime the actual drop component brings... It is actually a rather fun ride really, and it's certainly grown on me and bedded in more than Rita ever will...Plus the launch :)

I rode Th13teen again twice today, with my Sister who rode it for the first time (she's 11)...She loved the whole ride, was a bit nervous but then got off of it wanting to ride again. Pretty much the same as what Benin said above ^Th13teen is a great Family ride, and it still manages to create that mild thrill in certain parts of it. Just what Morwenna said 'the ultimate Rollercoaster.' It has some Airtime, some nice transitions, the drop, theming, excellent capacity, mild launch and it has lap bars. Th13teen has grown on me this season, it's a great ride that does what it is supposed to do; and all in all does it very well. :)