Gardaland

Press release from the park...

After having unveiled the name one month ago, Gardaland reveals now the unusual characteristics of RAPTOR. Time to discover the spectacular features and the breathtaking atmospheres which, along with the technical might of the track, make this Rollercoaster something unprecedented for Italy!The story narrates of an implacable predator, an unknown winged creature which, after having been woken up from its ancient sleep in the subsoil of Gardaland during the construction works for the new Rollercoaster, has started to devastate Earth in order to seek vengeance for the slight perpetrated by humans. It is ferocious, merciless, enormous, fast, powerful, invincible... It kidnaps anyone trying to tame it by dragging them into an extreme flight through enormous arid forests and devastated lands. To make the experience even more extreme there will a long series of obstacles which will be avoided only at the last second.The starting point of RAPTOR will draw inspiration from a governmental industrial style research lab, located in the subsoil. The whole track will unravel in a setting devastated by the ferocious winged creature, in a surreal atmosphere, in an arid and deserted setting with swampy areas, destroyed forests, knocked down trees and rocks.The convoy represents the unknown winged predator; the monstrous creature kidnaps those brave ones who, ignoring the severe warnings, dare challenging it. Kidnapped and dragged with no mercy along a terrifying flight and thrown through devastated lands they will be spared only to be able to recount their experience to others.The train is made of a series of lateral seats, suspended mid-air on the wings of the creature. The Guest will hence feel a true sensation of extreme flight which will soon become “chilling” thanks to a number of obstacles, which he will have the impression of crashing against only to graze them at breathtaking speed, avoiding them only at the last second!The terrible flight of the unknown winged creature is teeming with ruins such as watchtower about to crumble, a tree broken in half, a bride with protection barriers... remains of the untameable fury of RAPTOR. The insane run will continue with an extraordinary nebulisation effect, a waterfall programmed to stop upon passage, grazing pillars which, in some points, become out-and-out obstacles for the track.The theming of RAPTOR was devised and carried out by the creative team of Merlin Studios in London, dealing with the needs, on a daily basis, of all Amusement Park of the Merlin Entertainments Group. Strongly involved ever since the first planning phases of the attraction, the team worked side by side with Gardaland’s managers.Definitely a spectacular world the one of RAPTOR, capable of transforming the most imposing and extreme Winged Rollercoaster in Italy – made by the best and most qualified producer in the business, the Swiss firm B&M (Bolliger & Mabillard Inc.) – into an attraction which will be, for Italy, truly one of a kind.

Wow, I know it's marketing speak, but I absolutely love the way they're talking about their ride, you can tell they're really excited, and I couldn't help but feel that same excitement as I read along.I don't think I've ever read a Merlin press release that focused so much on the thematic experience as much as this, sounds promising.

The theming of RAPTOR was devised and carried out by the creative team of Merlin Studios in London, dealing with the needs, on a daily basis, of all Amusement Park of the Merlin Entertainments Group. Strongly involved ever since the first planning phases of the attraction, the team worked side by side with Gardaland’s managers.

I found this part the most interesting. Merlin Studios eh? Let's hope they can pull it off for them, so far it sounds as though they have!

• 4 weeks later...