Gardaland

I am going to wait before heading to Gardaland in all honesty. They haven't exactly got much else, to my knowledge, that appears anywhere near as good as Raptor and with one amazing ride and then nothing else particularly special... I can't really get that excited about the park as a whole.Hopefully Merlin plan on adding many major and well done attractions to compliment this - so it actually gets better. At the moment, for rides at least, Mirabilandia - with iSpeed and Katun - seems to me to be the better park to visit in Italy.Talking of Italy - the competition there at the moment is mind blowing. Obviously we have this which is amazing, Rainbow Magicland opening up, Mirabilandia with the likes of iSpeed and also Etnaland are getting a Mack Launched coaster soon, too!:)

*ahem*

Parks don't need to be full of special things... And hell, Mirabilandia only has two 'stand-out' rides that you've listed... I barely hear anything else from the park apart from Reset...EDIT - Plus the competition is a bit... Well... Spread out when you talk about Etnaland (which is on Sicily rather than the mainland if I recall) and Rainbow, which is 4 hours away minimum from Mirabilandia... Sure there's 4 'major' parks, but I think Raptor's style and look is more to do with how they view the Italian/European market, it that they actually do like a good story and theme added into their rides...

I guess, maybe there are other decent rides. I have just heard one or two negative reports about the place from some friends.Still, this isn't about the park - Raptor looks awesome.:)

Ahem, it's the Gardaland topic, not the Raptor one :( I agree though, Italy seems to have sprung from nowhere and in quick succession are building ride after ride after ride.Benin's pic is amazing, I think I jizzed to.

Why does everything HAVE to be a competition?Does it really matter if a park is deemed by some to not be as good as another, I'd rather go to a park with a blank slate (like I'm doing for Germany thankfully) and not continuously comparing it to another park in a different country with a completely different method and style of running things...

I disagree with you entirely.It is perfectly acceptable to compare parks. Like if I didn't compare, I would trundle off to Movie Park Germany for 2 days rather than one of the more major parks... It is human nature to compare and if we didn't, then competition between parks would not exist.In Florida, I compared between Disney Parks - and found some to be preferable to others. I would clearly look up what the park offered in terms of rides, theming and shows before I went and if it looked rubbish I would not go.If the general consensus was that Gardaland matched up to the European big boys such as those mentioned, I would probably consider going. Word of mouth is pretty vital... It is a pity rather than someone who has visiting the park posting a reply, the first person is merely criticizing for me asking a perfectly valid question. How about we never give opinions. Err...

Well comparing parks half the time is like people comparing rides like Saw and Oblivion... Pointless...No-one should rely on other's opinions about going to a park... It's INCREDIBLY hard to compare parks of certain calibre to others...Indeed, there's very few parks that can have direct comparisons, and that's generally the Magic Kingdom's of the world... I often seen very little point in comparing parks to each other, because each park is different and has it's own fundamental system of operation, there's so many variable factors to take in it's often impossible to actually balance them all together...May as well compare Dreamland with Europa Park...

I still find comparing is only natural human nature. And if nobody ever did compare, like I said, surely you wouldn't get parks with 5million a year and those with practically no guests - because nobody would compare - they would just look up "theme parks" in a brochure and pick a random name and... go visit!I think it's also fair play to compare coasters... people naturally have their favourites and you only have favourites by comparing with others you have been on.I must confess that I would never have visited Efteling had it not been for other people telling me how good they had found it, because when I looked at the face of it, the park didn't seem to have that much. Yet it was awesome. Equally, some parks are well operated (EP) and some are terribly operated (forgive me, TP) - and comparing them makes you see faults and qualities of each park.:)

they would just look up "theme parks" in a brochure and pick a random name and... go visit!

Is what I do when looking at trips abroad...Then research deeper into the parks...I would happily go to places that everyone hates (Movie Park in Germany, Six Flags America)... Just because I don't care for public opinion... Even a park that brings in millions a year can be crap, so having such stats thrown at me makes absolutely no difference... Never take things at face value... Never... If all enthusiasts had that view parks like Knoebels, Kennywood, Oakwood and Parc Asterix would probably be forever overlooked by their bigger rivals... And that's just not a good thing...Don't need to compare parks to see awful operations these days... It's generally obvious how good or bad it is...My point in the comparison of coasters that it's only fair game if the types are the same... Comparing rides like Nemesis and Colossus is quite frankly stupid, but Rita and Stealth is fair game...

How does the park compare with the likes of Efteling, Phantasialand, Europa-Park, PortAventura etc.?

I've only been to PortAventura out of that list, and I have to admit that I'd rather visit PortAventura any day, its good far more rides aimed at thrill seekers, saying that, Gardaland isn't bad by any means, it just lacks a good range of thrilling rides which PortAventura has. If Merlin invest more into a couple of flat rides then I would say it would be on par with PortAventura. Anyhow, I love them both!And also the theming in Port Aventura is alot better than Garda's.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUqywUDXSsJust back from Gardaland.Raptor is EPIC. Its big, everything about it is big. The track, the 'creature', the music and it's surroundings!As we all knew, it was never going to be a huge thrill machine, but it is thrilling. Some pops of airtime thrown in too. The ride rides best at the back (first drop is cool), although the front is awesome, just because it's the 'front'. I was suprised to get so wet, with fog effects and water spashes. Add it being walk on for both days I were there and = a happy Fever!Ive added some pics to my Facebok page, of a pretty cool and very well themed park!