Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zkk

Thorpe Farm

Recommended Posts

Google have added loads of areas to Streetview, and it just so happens than the camera is quite a bit higher than the wall at the back of the farm! Click

thanks for that,brings back so many memory's, with everyone complaining about thorpe park needing more "family" attractions I think that would be a great idea to reopen it and prehaps have some little rides over there (move OG over their perhaps?) kind of like that bit at Alton with the toadstool thing and all the shows :Dhowever I cannot see it happening, THORPE is now a thrill park, and I cannot see any family addition rides being added just the one which are already there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, if you go to Sunken Garden and stand on a bench, you can see the old harbour where the Thorpe Ferry stopped. It is intact with it's pirate flag still flying! Aw... I really miss the farm. It just been abandoned now, everything is still there, Pot Bellie's, the old barns, even the playground is intact. I wonder what will happen to this area in future? You can see it on Streetview, just go to Coldharbour Lane, Thorpe. You can also get to it by Monk's Walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there was a planning application for the farm area a few years ago to use it as an area to grow plants/ shrubs etc for the park.

That sounds likely. But they can't demolish the barns, as they are listed buildings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the way Thorpe is going: there's no room for a farm...needs a new ride every year, apparently :rolleyes:I don't mind too much, but I guess it's still a shame.

*New Investment/AttractionIts not always a ride eg. Time Voyagers/SAW Alive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have pictures of the farm and how it's being used now with plants and greenary.All the listed buildings are still there as is the old ferry jetty. Very strange over there now and a great deal of what was once publc areas, are now flooded. You'll also find the Stealth car over there too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, who here remembers what Thorpe park had to offer while open?!

 

An incredible little location away from all main attractions,accessible by train or boat only, providing a chilled out atmosphere surrounded by cute animals!

 

I remember when it closed and it was heartfelt, I still remember billy the goat who used to come and and headbutt my leg every time I would go visit...

 

Realistically would you want it back if it was an option to be revived?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember it being quite small even being viewed through my young child 'everything is massive' eyes, with pretty much one big shed of animals and some horses and other bits outside. The excitement for me was the train ride there really, through the train wash.

 

I have fond memories of it too, but the farm would be well out of place in today's Thorpe Park.

 

(Ps, this should be in past, probably merged with an existing thread which probably already exists. I'll do it when I'm not on my mobile!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to love the farm - but the water buses used to freak me out a bit.  Was gutted when it closed but, as Pluk says - the farm wouldn't fit with Thorpe at its current time.

It was a nice place to go and chill - I can't see them getting animals again but to have a little island to go to would be great - there are few place at Thorpe where you can escape - ok there is Sunken Gardens but it's hardly huge and you can hear Stealth.

Realistically I can't see it happening as they would have to sort out CCR - and I imagine that would cost a fair amount

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pluk said:

The excitement for me was the train ride there really, through the train wash.

I don't remember there being a train wash, where abouts was it? I only remember that on the Chessington Railroad at the back of Mystic East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just beyond the fork off to the black spot, if I remember correctly. 

 

I could be mixing my memories from 30 odd years ago though. Loooong time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Farm is used for another purposes now - the buildings are used for storage and the Landscaping team use it develop some plants / trees before planting them around the park

 

Since there's so little space for that sort of stuff to be done elsewhere, it's unlikely the Farm area would ever be opened to guests ever again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Odyessy said:

The Farm is used for another purposes now - the buildings are used for storage and the Landscaping team use it develop some plants / trees before planting them around the park

 

Since there's so little space for that sort of stuff to be done elsewhere, it's unlikely the Farm area would ever be opened to guests ever again

 

If they are using it for the purpose of developing plants/trees then that's pretty cool, anything to help the environment is a thumbs up from me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think growing flowers is anything to do with helping the environment...

It's a resource for the landscaping department yes. Very eerie to see what's happened to it, it had so many people through it in its time and was much more than a few sheds. It was from another time though, when Thorpe Park was not a thrill ride park and was more of a big leisure park.

The park truly felt like it had been cut in half when it left, as no day was complete without the train ride over to the other half. It wouldnt work today though, I mean obviously it wouldnt. The nature of the park is so different really. Luckily it won't be demolished, but its a little shocking to see the fields where the train used to drive through now underwater, places that exist in my memory like just yesterday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wumbamillio said:

I don't think growing flowers is anything to do with helping the environment...

It's a resource for the landscaping department yes. Very eerie to see what's happened to it, it had so many people through it in its time and was much more than a few sheds. It was from another time though, when Thorpe Park was not a thrill ride park and was more of a big leisure park.

The park truly felt like it had been cut in half when it left, as no day was complete without the train ride over to the other half. It wouldnt work today though, I mean obviously it wouldnt. The nature of the park is so different really. Luckily it won't be demolished, but its a little shocking to see the fields where the train used to drive through now underwater, places that exist in my memory like just yesterday!

Flowers and plants are obviously important... I mean you even admit it in your next sentence :L

 

Always good to reminisce about past rides & attractions such as this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are the park landscape department and they're using the area for their workshops, growing decorative flowers/shrubs to plant around the park. Not for some kind of environmental resource as you seemed to suggest.

 

Literally just workshops and areas grow decorative shrubbery and arrange in the park like they do every year. I didn't say landscaping wasnt important!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A happy side effect.

 

Am I right in thinking there have been houses built really close to the farm plot too now? Another reason that side will never be used for guests again if so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Duncanc said:

The environment is helped as the more nature grows.

Until they dig the flowers up and throw them away once summer's over, because they are a landscape department, their job is to prune trees and cut grass most the time. I dont think trenching up and flooding most of the farm helped the environment, it's just being used as a base for storage and landscaping resources honestly.

 

There were always houses just next to Thorpe Farm, a village just behind the walls, but it surprised me to learn this as it always felt like it was isolated in its own far off world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merlin doesn't own anything, they lease it all, but having said that the deal is a bit like a leasehold on land for an individual, most of the Farm buildings are listed however, which pretty much precludes any development of that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

Until they dig the flowers up and throw them away once summer's over, because they are a landscape department, their job is to prune trees and cut grass most the time. I dont think trenching up and flooding most of the farm helped the environment, it's just being used as a base for storage and landscaping resources honestly.

 

There were always houses just next to Thorpe Farm, a village just behind the walls, but it surprised me to learn this as it always felt like it was isolated in its own far off world.

 

Way to dig to deep and go ahead and depress yourself! Chill chill, flowers & plans maturely help as they're natural, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...