Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

• 1 month later...

I found out recently that the River Caves at BPB is over 100 years old! (It opened in 1904)

To be honest, I think that's amazing. Not only that it's lasted that long, but the fact that the whole park has evolved around it (literally - it's built under a huge section of the park).

I am also told that apart from the addition of ambient lighting, various effects and audio, almost all of the interior is entirely original. Obviously there have been a few new props here and there, but the vast majority of it has been there for 110 years. (I couldn't see Merlin (or any other park for that matter) keeping a dark ride in such a good condition for that long!)

The amazing thing is, it is still a brilliant dark ride today!

It's hugely outdated, hugely boring and hugely not appreciated by anyone apart from those in their 90s.

It's the tomb blaster of Blackpool.

Bulldoze. Seriously.

You're talking rubbish now.

Firstly, everyone who comes off it (apart from arrogant teenagers) has a smile on their face, it's a great family attraction and it's timeless.

Secondly, I fail to see how it's the Tomb Blaster of Blackpool. It hasn't been ruined by laser guns, nor has it not been bothered with. Yet again it's seen lighting changes, fixed effects and a more mist effects put in this year. Meanwhile, Tomb Blaster is rotting away - none of it's anamatronics move!

I know of loads of people who enjoy it (none of them are in their 90's). How is it outdated? It's not like Alice, which I'll admit is past it's sell by. It's a timeless classic IMO and they aren't going to bulldoze it when it's served them tirelessly for over 100 years.

Plus, bulldozing it would also take out a huge area of the park as it's build underneath a lot of it. Do some research.

You're talking rubbish now.

Firstly, everyone who comes off it (apart from arrogant teenagers) has a smile on their face, it's a great family attraction and it's timeless.

Secondly, I fail to see how it's the Tomb Blaster of Blackpool. It hasn't been ruined by laser guns, plus there are probably more moving anamatronics in the Dinosaur scene than the whole of Tomb Blaster put together.

I know of loads of people who enjoy it (none of them are in their 90's). How is it outdated? It's not like Alice, which I'll admit is past it's sell by. It's a timeless classic IMO and they aren't going to bulldoze it when it's served them tirelessly for over 100 years.

Plus, bulldozing it would also take out a huge area of the park as it's build underneath a lot of it. Do some research.

It's an opinion, if you don't agree so what, thats his opinion , you don't have to say he is talking rubbish.

It's an opinion, if you don't agree so what, thats his opinion , you don't have to say he is talking rubbish.

I'm not disputing that, but suggesting that a ride should be bulldozed because you don't like it is taking it a bit far.

I'd happily see Air, Rita and Flying Fish bulldozed if that's the case!

I'm not disputing that, but suggesting that a ride should be bulldozed because you don't like it is taking it a bit far.

I'd happily see Air, Rita and Flying Fish bulldozed if that's the case!

I'd happily see those three bulldozed as well. So we have some agreements. Though I'd prefer spinball dead than Air if we have it in timescale of bulldozingness.

I just think it's exactly what Blackpool should not aim to be anymore. They seem to be clinging onto everything old and yet still manage to get people through the doors, which just isn't going to work. However, out of all the old stuff I suppose this is pretty relatively nice and I do agree that they maintain it well (the entire LED lighting change must've cost a fortune).

Yeah, and to be honest the classic attractions are what makes BPB unique.

They are making progress - Goldmine and Magic Mountain (which were both old attractions and were knackered tbf) were taken out and replaced, but I am glad that they are retaining the vast majority of their old rides, and keeping them in a top notch state.

As a note, Tomb Blaster's animatronics are meant to move, dunno where that idea came from...

River Caves is alright, good old fashioned bit of tat, bit dull as a ride overall (a trend with this style of dark ride mind), but inoffensive...

Easier to maintain because it's cheap as chips really...

I am sitting on the fence with this one. :rolleyes:

On another note, Pleasure Beach did remove a few classics some years ago. The park is known for them and I think they would struggle if they attempted to recify that with new thrills that they may not have the space or money to produce effectively. As it is a business, sacrafice will be required but is taking away classics (like the River Caves) a wise move?. I would suggest not. I think they got it right with revamping Goldmine and just hope the business side of things improve as a result.

My point was that they are meant to move, but barely any of them do.

But they do move when they're not broken, like any animatronic... River Caves has a lot of still models with a smattering of animatronics with a lot more simplistic movements...

I don't get your point... Unless it's that Chessie's maintainence is dire, which we all know anyway...

I don't get your point... Unless it's that Chessie's maintainence is dire, which we all know anyway...

That is basically what I was saying.

Back on the subject of BPB, they've uploaded a new family advert which I think is much better than the one released a few months ago.

EDIT: They've also uploaded a new thrillseeker one as well. Works much better with the voiceover!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWX_j-YtG54

I do have to admit I like the adverts, but it does feel quite corporate.

Fair play to them though trying to big up their rides the way they have; with statistics (regardless of how accurate, and Jamie can't disagree there, I know that park too well for my own good) - but it doesn't really scream fun, and thrills like it should. It just says to me, we have some rides, we're cheap, and we're easy to get to.

I do have to admit I like the adverts, but it does feel quite corporate.

Fair play to them though trying to big up their rides the way they have; with statistics (regardless of how accurate, and Jamie can't disagree there, I know that park too well for my own good) - but it doesn't really scream fun, and thrills like it should. It just says to me, we have some rides, we're cheap, and we're easy to get to.

Haha I agree that some of them aren't accurate, although I'm yet to see a big UK park that hasn't lied about something before.

They could promote the idea of fun more, but I think that the advert represents the park well - stylish, modern (but with old attractions) and the rides are shown quite a lot.