SAW: The Ride

Mark9

I think the indoor section of the ride is fine, infact the first drop is the single best element of the entire ride. What I however find to be the problem is that it reeks of missed opportunity. A swinging (sometimes) UV blade and block where nothing happens and even when it did, was a waste of space. Come on, even that small a space, there could have been a whole load of potential with geat audio , projection just to list a tiny few!I would shudder if Merlin were putting a dark ride in tbh, imagine! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All! Haven't been on here in ages!I'm going to TP tomorrow for the first time this season.... didn't get a chance to ride SAW last year..I'm quite scared about the drop.... is it any worse than other drops such as they initial Colossus drop? Thats the one bit about the rides that I dislike, but obviously necesary to enjoy the rest! :)

To be honest, the only bit of the drop that is worse than any other drop is the switch-over from vertically up to vertically down, which last milliseconds and from then on it doesn't feel too different or extreme at all and from experience the journey up is a lot worse than down. Anyway it's not that drop you need to be worrying about :)

The only part of Saw I find even remotely scary is being in the back row on the lift - without stadium seating it's impossible to see where to top of the lift is! That scares me :) I hate just staring at the sky and wondering when we'll ever go over the top!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IqNAfF4uoYeah the video is crap quality, but the audio is reasonable. Watch from about 2 mins in. I really wish the ambient theme was back in the building and they would make use of those bass speakers to their full potential again. It was actually a little creepy back then :PBtw you can clearly tell from this video its not the outside track being heard from inside. The jigsaw ann. at about 3 mins cuts it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IqNAfF4uoYeah the video is crap quality, but the audio is reasonable. Watch from about 2 mins in. I really wish the ambient theme was back in the building and they would make use of those bass speakers to their full potential again. It was actually a little creepy back then :PBtw you can clearly tell from this video its not the outside track being heard from inside. The jigsaw ann. at about 3 mins cuts it out.

Now I think about it I do actually remember that!

Here's a pic from Tuesday:Posted ImageNotice something? The 2 empty seats? The 2 empty seats that at this very time last year would have been filled due to Single Riders? Personally, I think SR needs to come back. It worked very well last year and would obviously make the ride seem more full, and please quite a few of people - not necessarily just fans.

In the time it takes for single rides to mess around finding their seat it usually adds to the q. It will never work on Saw as the ride wasnt designed to have a single rider queue, they tried last year but I cant see it being a long term thing.

No, all it needs is a good staff member to be properly direct to the single rider queue and it can easily be done...Of course though, as it doesn't have a dedicated queue, and as long as they're still doing Fast-track, it'll never come back...

Whats fastrack got to do with it? Fastrack is batched into the main q at the stairs, so unless the staff member in the building near the rack trap attempted to batch it would no way work, obviously they wont be aware of any exit riders also which would equal in chaos in the station.Last time it was done by splitting the disabled q into 2, was way to narrow to work properly and got far to busy in there.

Single Rider is absolute bollocks - it achieves absolutely nil. If staff member properly batch through guests there will rarely be any empty seats.SRQ doesn't lower the main queue, or Fastrack queue, and just slows down the already slow loading process at many rides at the park. Waste of time!

Whats fastrack got to do with it? Fastrack is batched into the main q at the stairs, so unless the staff member in the building near the rack trap attempted to batch it would no way work, obviously they wont be aware of any exit riders also which would equal in chaos in the station.Last time it was done by splitting the disabled q into 2, was way to narrow to work properly and got far to busy in there.

Didn't they (when it was first brought in last year) due to having an unused Fast-track queue system they instead plonked the single rider queue in there instead?Either that, or I must have been high when I was there and hence using my imagination, which is usually necessary when at Thorpe...

I tried the SRQ last year but the bloke in charge of batching was only interested in chatting up the women in the bag drop area, then when the staff on the other platform had had enough they started yelling over at him to start doing his job, then he started telling the single riders to hurry up and leave their bags because they weren't filling the seats!! :)Anyway, a single rider queue line was not built because the fact is that Thorpe's management just want to flog their £4-a-time Fastrack tickets.I don't think any of us want to go back to how it was last year though, with the stanby queue, Fastrack& disabled queue then single rider queue all squeezed side by side in to that tiny walkway on the top floor! Because of the way the building was designed a SRQ is never going to work propperly on this ride, and they knew that when they were designing it!

Single riders is a waste of effort and I can see why they don't have it on there.Not only does their batching system not really work for single riders, nor does the queueline have space for them, but also the guests who try and use it pretty much always try and blag, or try to deliberately push into the main queueline. It's just not worth the hassle at all, as it slows down the entire loading system. Wish some other places didn't have it either :)

No, all it needs is a good staff member to be properly direct to the single rider queue and it can easily be done...Of course though, as it doesn't have a dedicated queue, and as long as they're still doing Fast-track, it'll never come back...

Are you calling m,e a bad member of staff then Benin :) Anyone who has run a single rider queue will tell you they are absolute hell. The majority of single riders are selfish bastards and when they start telling you how to do your job.. well lets just say I'm glad they removed it from most of Thorpe's rides.

I can imagine that trying to organise a SRQ can be a nightmare, and with the best will in the world nobody will ever be able to make it work propperly on Saw because of the way it had been built.I must admit though, Stealth's SRQ is brilliant when it's being run by a good staff member, but if you get someone who doesn't care then it can become a nightmare for everyone, with people just pushing in and sitting wherever they want! I was in the SR queue last visit and the guy in front of me said to the member of staff 'excuse me, can I sit at the front please?' Luckily the staff weren't taking any nonsense and he said 'Of course you can, the queue starts over there!' then turned to me, shook his head, and sent me to my seat!! :) Made my day.

I must admit though, Stealth's SRQ is brilliant when it's being run by a good staff member, but if you get someone who doesn't care then it can become a nightmare for everyone, with people just pushing in and sitting wherever they want! I was in the SR queue last visit and the guy in front of me said to the member of staff 'excuse me, can I sit at the front please?' Luckily the staff weren't taking any nonsense and he said 'Of course you can, the queue starts over there!' then turned to me, shook his head, and sent me to my seat!! -_- Made my day.

Brilliant :(