SAW: The Ride

Mark9

Firstly saw has what I would describe as a better theme.

Gonna go any further into the reason why? Is the reponse going to be along the lines of "MM is generic whilst Saw has a 'story'"

Secondly on mystery mine you are inside for a very short time.

What? No way is that true... Firstly the first indoor section which is probs just as long as Saw's, then you go indoors AGAIN for the second lift... Something Saw definitely doesn't do...

Thirdly on mystery mine the indoor drop is rubbish.

This is relative... But MM has TWO indoors drops... The second of which is epic...

Lastly saw is much better at suprising you than mystery mine.

That's about the only part I agree with on Saw for the first drop, but the second indoor drop's extra theming is very suprising...

it was just an average (and rough) Eurofighter that got an IP attached to it to make it more scary...It's scarier walking down my street than going on that ride...

Well... At least it wasn't advertised as an insane new generation phsycoaster... and ended up like 60ft high with trims.And you may not think it's scary but I bet alot over half the general public found this ride scary...

Well... At least it wasn't advertised as an insane new generation phsycoaster... and ended up like 60ft high with trims.

Different ride, different park, I've never compared Thirteen to Saw so why you're finding an urge to I'm not understanding the point...

And you may not think it's scary but I bet alot over half the general public found this ride scary...

Probably, but that's the general public... Not exactly the brightest bunch in general in regards to rides and such are they?

Different ride, different park, I've never compared Thirteen to Saw so why you're finding an urge to I'm not understanding the point...Probably, but that's the general public... Not exactly the brightest bunch in general in regards to rides and such are they?

I never said you did compare them.. there's not much to understand.And that's such a ridiculous statement... why do they need to be? it's them that matter most to thorpe park and it's advertising when there's alot more of them paying to get in then us...

It's all our opinions and we don't need people to bitch about them, So what if you find SAW better than MM but what matters is that it gets ticket sales well that's all Thorpe Park care about :S , I know this is fan club forum but I don't understand how people can be fans if u hate what the park do! LOL anyway do you think most people who have been on SAW have been on MM!!

Guests get scared sitting down on Tiny Truckers, are we really using "fear" as a basis on how good a ride is. Same question to Benin. :excl:

Haha, thanks for the memories of seeing people trying to squeeze into that... :D

It's all our opinions and we don't need people to bitch about them, So what if you find SAW better than MM but what matters is that it gets ticket sales well that's all Thorpe Park care about :S , I know this is fan club forum but I don't understand how people can be fans if u hate what the park do! LOL anyway do you think most people who have been on SAW have been on MM!!

Hardly anyone who goes to Thorpe/Alton/Chessie/Lego/Anywhere will have even heard of Dollywood, let alone Mystery Mine... But that's because it's not in an excessively major UK tourist destination in the States... Even with the Smokey Mountains a stone's throw away (as an aside, I really suggest that everyone look into going there, it's amazing), and the general area being a tourist trap, it's certainly not number 1 on many lists...My point is that I reckon even without the branding Thorpe would've got people through the gates with good advertisement... How hard would it have been to advertise a spooky mine/saw mill themed coaster (as per the original posters) to the masses?And who said I was a fan of Thorpe? I very rarely have much good to say about the park through my own personal experiences at it... I'm not bitching about anything, just continuing discussion about Saw and a rather similar ride in America that I've been on... A ride that I happen to rate higher...

And that's such a ridiculous statement... why do they need to be? it's them that matter most to thorpe park and it's advertising when there's alot more of them paying to get in then us...

I do know that the GP are indeed the most important part of any park's income stream, but that doesn't stop them being rather unknowing in terms of ride types and the like, which was my point... How many would know that Stealth and Colossus are done by the same company? Parks seem to go for easy links in order to get guests through the gates... Looking at Thorpe's coasters since Tussauds came in it's very obvious about the gimmicks and such...Colossus - 10 inversionsInferno - Billed as the "World's Greatest Roller-Coaster Experience" during construction... In addition the Nemesis name probably added in order to make many people link the original Towers version with it...Stealth - 'Tallest' and Fastest in EuropeSaw - "First Horror Film Themed Ride" I believe was the term they usedSimply put, it's very easy to manipulate guests into following the park's marketing procedures (None more obvious than with Thirteen's advertising) by putting this that and the other surrounding it... But when people come off fantastic rides saying "It was good, but needs loops", it kinda puts me off many GP... When I go to Towers and see 5/10 minute queues on Oblivion and 20 on Nemesis yet queues of 60 on Rita I just wonder what sort of mind-frame GP have... More often than not bigger and faster do not mean better... TTD in my experience is the singular exception to that rule...I've tangented a bit here... But I stand by my point of the GP not exactly being the brightest bulbs in the box... With the tales of death, underground inversions, letting go of restraints making you fall out and wondering if Vampire does actually spend the entire ride upside down I heard over the years, it's kinda hard to defend them overall...

• 2 months later...

Lap bars on Saw would be awesome, it would stop the headbanging on the bump at the bottom of the first drop. I wonder if they would have to fit it with the new trains though to make it possible (the ones with 3 rows and 2 seats per row) I don't think this would happen though as the small block sections at the bottom of the lift and station are probably not big enough for these. If this were to ever happen then I would do it when the Saw contract ends and promote the Eurofighter as being semi-new with the lap bars.

Lap-bar technology has become so sophisticated within the last 5 years or so. They are now able to support riders comfortably and safely throughout almost every coaster manoeuvre. Case in point- Blue Fire and Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit. The B&M clamshell restraints, found on their hyper-coasters, are loved throughout the enthusiast community.

It would make the ride far greater. Saw's restraints are very restrictive. Imagine flying around the track but with your arms waving about all the way... lovely! A great move for Eurofighters, but I don't think they would bother buying new cars for Saw.

I read somewhere on the Gerstlauer website that custom cars cost about £1 million or so each. ( I think)

Lap-bar technology has become so sophisticated within the last 5 years or so. They are now able to support riders comfortably and safely throughout almost every coaster manoeuvre. Case in point- Blue Fire and Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit. The B&M clamshell restraints, found on their hyper-coasters, are loved throughout the enthusiast community.

I went on hollywood rip ride and rockit in november and yes the lap bar restraint system they have is AMAZING. it gives you such a greater feel of freedom and I felt incredibly safe just due to the sheer robustness of them. and of course picking from a selection of songs to have blasted out in the speakers just made it 100% more fun!