SAW: The Ride

Mark9

I hadn't had any head issues before Saturday, but I might've just been unlucky, but it was dreadful! I came off feeling it would be smoother going on Colossus back row and actually banging my head against the restraints while moving. I actually did think that. I have had a really painful headache since.

I found my recent rides on Saw to be relitively comfortable, although I still always seem to get my left leg pinned by the restraint, any ideas as to why this always happens on the same leg?(Sorry if anything bad was said in previous posts. Have a case of annoying little brother on your computer syndrome) :)

Saw was running very bumpy and jolty today it didnt hurt or anything like that but it was bumping around a lot and was very jolty on the turns it was really smooth last time I rode it at thend of 2009, its doesnt look like it will age well at all. Colossus was much smoother today.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few rides on Saw yesterday, effects were hit and miss as always, but overall I really enjoyed my rides on it. I think I may prefer the back now, I find it slightly smoother than the front, though I still come off the ride with that trademark headache that quite a few Eurofighters seem to have.

I agree with both point there - on Tuesday the pendulum and spike strobe were out of action and the crossbows were out of time, to the extent that they started firing as the car left the end of the brake run and could be heard behind you. Also, I found it very bumpy on both my rides, but I stick by my opinion that the left is worse than the right - I did both outside seats on Tuesday and found the left to be more painful in both the areas I find to be painful - the bottom of the main drop and the dive loop trench to final turn transition.

Yep, I agree the left is definitely rougher for me than the right. I also rode both sides and whilst the right was still quite rough, it did not have me coming off wincing with pain like the left. Admittedly this could just be a one off event but I felt quite a stark contrast between the two sides. For me it was generally throughout any sort of manoeuvre it felt rough, though the pain culprit was the main drop. I hate the way you can watch the ride in motion and see the cars jolt as it descends the drop and curves up into the Immelman.On the effects side of things I was disappointed not to see the spikes and pendulum not working as I feel these do work as great headchoppers on the drop.

Gerstlauer were obviously high on crack when they formed Saw's trackwork. Its like they beat it with a hammer to form corners. There are so many flat spots in the 'curves' of the track its rediculous, which in turn causes a bounce effect. Add 4 or so G's on that and a car going about 55mph and you get a horrible brain shaker. It isn't going to age very well being near that lake ether. The last ride I had on it was on my own. Now the first time I rode a car to myself, it was very smooth. Now it rattles like hell.

Gerstlauer were obviously high on crack when they formed Saw's trackwork. Its like they beat it with a hammer to form corners. There are so many flat spots in the 'curves' of the track its rediculous, which in turn causes a bounce effect. Add 4 or so G's on that and a car going about 55mph and you get a horrible brain shaker. It isn't going to age very well being near that lake ether. The last ride I had on it was on my own. Now the first time I rode a car to myself, it was very smooth. Now it rattles like hell.

Have you SEEN some of the corners on Mystery Mine?It's like they were made with a set-square...Some of Gerstlauers stuff is a bit crazy...

It's absolutely mad that a one year old coaster is so rough. I mean after 18 months, it's aged terribly so I'm scared to know what it will be like even next year.

To be honest it was rough when it opened, to the point where a lot of people I've been with refuse to ride it. I can only imagine what it's like now if it's worse. To be honest, something needs to be done if it really is as rough as everyone is talking about.

To be honest it was rough when it opened, to the point where a lot of people I've been with refuse to ride it. I can only imagine what it's like now if it's worse. To be honest, something needs to be done if it really is as rough as everyone is talking about.

It was no where near as rough as it is now though, infact I don't even remember it being noticeably rough when it opened

I still don't found it rough at all... ;)

Its weird because there's some people that find it incredibly bumpy and some people that don't find it rough at all, like once I went on it with someone and it hurt my neck really badly when it goes down from the dive loop and up into the brakes but the person I was with didnt find that at all.I wonder why :)

I sometimes wish Merlin had gone for a "decent" manufacturer like B&M or Mack. This is no disrespect to Gerstlauer or Intamin but what they build are cheap ride systems. Yes they get the people in the park and they are awesome looking rides but when one can't build their rides to be comfortable, the other can't build reliable or/and 'safe' rides then it's just beyond believe. Ryan, you are incredibly lucky to find Saw smooth. I have a high pain threshold so can take the pain from Vekomas and jerky rides like Eurosat and Coaster Express but I just can't do front row Saw without getting a headache.

I sometimes wish Merlin had gone for a "decent" manufacturer like B&M or Mack. This is no disrespect to Gerstlauer or Intamin but what they build are cheap ride systems. Yes they get the people in the park and they are awesome looking rides but when one can't build their rides to be comfortable, the other can't build reliable or/and 'safe' rides then it's just beyond believe. Ryan, you are incredibly lucky to find Saw smooth. I have a high pain threshold so can take the pain from Vekomas and jerky rides like Eurosat and Coaster Express but I just can't do front row Saw without getting a headache.

This is why I wouldn't mind Thorpe getting a Floorless B&M. At least quality/smoothness is nearly 100% garanteed.

Yes Marc, because cable snaps and derailments are teh lolz tbh. :) While I can see that given the parameters set out for the attraction a Eurofighter made the most sense as a transit system to achieve those aims, I agree with you Mark that something better really could and should have been done. Given all the myriad ride systems out there - both new and old - that Thorpe could have built within the same budget, with the same throughput, it just doesn't make much sense. This is a case where maybe as I was talking about just now, the brief should have been changed in view of difficulty of fulfilling the original one to a decent standard.

Yes Marc, because cable snaps and derailments are teh lolz tbh. :)

And you can blame Intamin for them how? I have a Ford car, if I dont service that, look after it, maintain when required and it falls apart after 10 years, is that fords fault? Whilst I'm not blaming the parks, things like that should be spotted way before they happen, Do you see Stealths cable snapping, or Colossus trains derailing? Aslong as rides are run and maintained to manufactures guidelines, 9 times out of 10 they will run fine.

^^ I would mind, I would much rather them at least try something new rather than get a ride that would give an experience in between Colossus and Nemesis Inferno, it'd be pointless beyond belief. Not only that, they just don't add much to the experience whatsoever. There good rides of course, 99% of B&M's are, just that the floorless concept adds nothing more. (In my opinion at least.)With Saw, I wish they had done the whole ride like the first dark ride section, with basically a big ghost train kind of set up. Not particularly fast or tall, just a fast/twisty ghost train kind of thing running in to various traps and escaping by various methods.

John Wardley did say that, when they were deciding on what to do with Saw, they wanted a dark section but there was not enough space to create a ride such as Revenge of the Mummy. It is also pretty likely that, being a so-called 'thrill park', Thorpe would want to emphasise the rollercoaster more than the dark section anyway. If they had the whole thing indoors, it would cost a lot more and have to be extremely compact. They would not be able to boast the drop or the inversions either.

See I think they still could have had the inversions possibly not the drop though otherwise a huge building would have been needed. And like you say, a ride on the scale of RotM is always going to be out of the question, but a compact indoor coaster carrying on the feel of the current beginning section would have been possible. And yes whilst the building itself would have cost more, the actual coaster itself wouldn't have been as much I assume ;)) There wouldn't have been the same roughness as it would have been more smaller, tighter, surprise elements taken at a lower speed rather than the coaster we have now. But I also think that with Saw, it's success and what has drawn people to it has had very little to do with it being a coaster, it's more that there is a ride based on the Saw franchise which appeals to Thorpe's target audience and that is why I think even if it had been a "ghost train" type coaster it would have had to same pulling power even with different aspects of it to market.Just my opinion and how I think Saw could have fulfilled it's potential :)