Your Chessington

James6

^Since you're having trouble, I'll post it here for you so people don't have to click...

I really do like Wild Asia and although the throughput of Kobra is bad the re themed rides really have a new lease of life. Kobra itself is a great ride (if you can bear the q's). The whole land in general is very well thought out and the little details in the theming you keep spotting all the time which is really great!The interactive tree is also an amazing addition and could be considered as an attraction in itself, a great experience that really passes the time... pity they don't have anything like that in the Kobra q line :rolleyes:In the future I think a good option for Chessington would be to move the flying Dumbo attraction into wild Asia and theme it around African elephants with vines down the supports etc. This would tie in with the future rumored Toy Town Re-theme/Changes. I really would like the rapids to be built on that site but have no objections to it being themed to wild Asia. I just think this is a perfect family ride that Chessington is missing. Officially if it is nice and interactive :DThen with Dumbo out of the way, Toadies removed (supposedly) the bouncing berries can easily be moved or if Chessington really want to be relocated as they use such a small space (perhaps themed to forbidden kingdom towers etc) the new space could house a possible new coaster extending around toadies, toy town and the pond. the berry bouncers could probably remain in the same place because of the large amount of space toadies takes up :DA little off-topic but thats my vision... Overall Wild Asia is a great addition and really shows what the future of Chessington could be like in regards to theming and style, which is great.

You're welcome...Also... Why move the elephants? They're happy where they are and could easily be rethemed (ok, maybe new designs would be required for MY plans), should Toytown actually get redone... And rapids... I'm sick to death of them being linked to Chessie... The only ones I'd want are River Quest ones... If not that, then sod them... Ours are CRAP!

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is the most appropriate place. I'd actually like to see Chessington be sold off from the Merlin group and be completely independant, family owned. It's just my feeling of course but being part of a huge family of parks, competing with Legoland, Thorpe, Alton, Heide, Gardaland and all the little subsidaries can't be easy and every single year Chessie comes off as one of the poor cousins. Whilst the other parks get large rides and additions, Chessington gets a retheme and a cheap disko ride and is considered its "large investment year."Small parks such as Paultons, Drayton Manor, Flamingoland and Lightwater Valley prove it can be done, that you can be successful without being part of a brand. Chessington for me is at a point where it's older rides are looking well past their sell by dates. When the park opens next month Skyway will still have the old faded 90's look on its trains, the Runaway rocks will still look like they are falling apart and the Bubbleworks will look even more shambolic.

So we should be just happy that Bubbles has been repainted?This is exactly the mind-set that's wrong, we shouldn't be thinking that rides being repainted is a major thing, it should be done reasonably regularly (not every year, some form of cycle can be worked out for each ride based on individual needs)...Chessie sits in a vicious cycle of investment vs. guest numbers... Merlin need to take the risk with the park and invest into it... Regardless of it having a 'poor' summer... We really should have been seeing Toytown demolished and it disappoints me that not even a project like that can be funded...

and is considered its "large investment year."

Wild Asia was actually supposedly Chessington's 'moderate investment' year, compared to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park (which have both had their 'large investment years' in 2010 and 2009 respectively). Anyway, of course a disk-o and retheme is not considered a large investment, no matter who owns the park. Chessington is yet to see a large investment since Merlin took over, but that does not mean the changes made so far have been bad.As for a actually getting major investment... There really isn't much of a defence for Chessington here. For goodness sake, spend your money! However, I fail to see how selling off Chessington to become family owned would mean all of its problems would be sold. Surely they would just go bust extremely quickly? Improvements are being made year on year since about 2008. Eventually, I think such things as the Dragon Falls mountain and Runaway rocks will be caterd for, but those are obviously things that need to be planned for far in advance. In my opinion, the guys in charge of making Chessington look good are doing a great job at refurbishing the place so far. Obviously nothing drastic has been brought back from the past yet, and perhaps nothing ever will be... But surely selling off the park will not solve those problems at all?

Bubbleworks has been fully repainted ill have you know! I would hate this obviously ;(

By the way, what does "fully repainted" actually mean? You keep saying it, but it doesn't make sense. What has been repainted? How does one 'repaint' a dark ride? It probably just means a few very minor touch ups here and there, nothing more. I agree with Benin; it is something that should be expected.

What Mark is getting at with the independant ownership is that Merlin's higher management don't seem to 'care' (best word I can think of) about Chessie, hence the lack of investment since they took over...Since 08 Chessie has seen 1 new ride... 1... Kobra... That's not good enough is it? Ok we've also seen Lorikeets and Wanyama come in with Wild Asia, but is that really making it look like Merlin give as much of a damn as they do Thorpe and Alton? Both of which have recieved a coaster and other rides in the same timeframe...Maybe Chessie cutting loose from Merlin, and with adequate funding (I.e. a lot), is the best option? It would certainly allow them a lot more freedom in the choices and things they build... It's all too difficult to accurately predict what would happen... Chessie is quite simply the odd one out in Merlin's UK parks portfolio... And they seem to treat it as such... The basic jist is that Merlin need to start providing higher investments to the park... How much would the Toytown retheme have cost them really? There's so much potential with Chessie but because they don't invest because it doesn't attract the guests then it will forever stay in a state of purgatory... As it needs investment to attract guests...

When it comes to the opinion of 'Merlin don't seem to care' - I don't agree with the opinion that this will be long lasting. The business as a whole are interested in expanding at a great rate until the market is decently saturated with such a set of products and brand, so that the company can be seen to be financially secure on its own two feet. The company has some amazing expansion plans on the already existing plans however unfortunately - Midway attractions are maybe something that are seen as a starting to be a dead horse, as much as I dislike saying it.Merlin seemingly is interested in opening and pushing brands such as 'high level experiences' (for example Eye, BP Tower), the Sea Life brand, Madame Tussauds brands, Legoland brands and the Dungeons brand. The company regardless of whatever your opinion on these brands is; will continue to expand these in massive and maybe unexpected - however clever - new areas and continents. The market they are tapping into is so very vast - only a 1/20th of the worlds population probably has only heard of the brands and the experiences offer but the company is already increasing profits past record levels within the Leisure Industry itself, just on that 1/20th of the world.When it comes to the 'Midway Attractions', there are solid brands in there fortunately - Legoland is a brand. It's so so so simple which makes it so clever - it's pure pure branding down to having Lego name badges - all the way up to employing someone at Senior Leadership level who is focused on Product Excellence - Tussaud's just never did it. The company is not one to rest on it's laurels as maybe Tussauds did - I can prove this with one word; and that is STEALTH. That's the ride. Nothing but pure focus on holding onto the massive change it brought to TP. Merlin isn't about just saying 'Hey here's Chessington lets throw money at this problem and hope it goes away.' Come on, everyone can see that yes, it may be a quick fix but it won't last long in this environment. The park is sitting on a great path and incorporating the hotel, theme park and zoo will be their biggest challenge however such sweeping changes have occurred in the park. Yeah we all know it'd be amazing if they threw money at the park, spent good couple of million and made the place look sparkling. I can promise you that will happen however the directors within Merlin are continuing to look at how they can take the park forward to be 'Britain's Wildest Adventure' - but also taking into account of return on investment, and how it will affect guest satisfaction scores.I think people tar Chessington stupidly with the same brush that they brush TP with - you have to remember that TP is such a massive 'snowball' - that if they stopped investing in TP it would end up in massive amount lost and such a financial disaster; the park is a cut and shut case of such amazing return on investment.Alton you need to remember doesn't get that much investment - pro rata, Chessington does get more I'd imagine. I hope this does make sense to all the people who think Chessington is a lost case, and please don't take this as an arsekissing post for Merlin - it's an honest look at the business and where it is positioning itself within such a volatile market.

Merlin isn't about just saying 'Hey here's Chessington lets throw money at this problem and hope it goes away.' Come on, everyone can see that yes, it may be a quick fix but it won't last long in this environment. The park is sitting on a great path and incorporating the hotel, theme park and zoo will be their biggest challenge however such sweeping changes have occurred in the park. Yeah we all know it'd be amazing if they threw money at the park, spent good couple of million and made the place look sparkling. I can promise you that will happen however the directors within Merlin are continuing to look at how they can take the park forward to be 'Britain's Wildest Adventure' - but also taking into account of return on investment, and how it will affect guest satisfaction scores.

I take all that on board obviously. But the thing is the park is now relying on a 25 year old infrastructure. The theme park and the zoo, well ones been there for ages anyway and the zoo since the 1920's so the only recent addition is the hotel which Merlin didn't play any part of.I know that throwing money at a place and hoping it sticks is not the solution, however why would throwing money in making Runaway train and Safari Skyway look 100% better be a problem. Unless Runaway is about to get the chop of course. At which point I wonder, Chessington has been under Merlin control since 2007, whilst yeah there's a transition period, why hasn't something happened yet to all the rides at Chessington that are really starting to look delapidated.

However, I fail to see how selling off Chessington to become family owned would mean all of its problems would be sold. Surely they would just go bust extremely quickly? Improvements are being made year on year since about 2008. Eventually, I think such things as the Dragon Falls mountain and Runaway rocks will be caterd for, but those are obviously things that need to be planned for far in advance.

It may give Chessington a chance to breathe. It's competing with so much at the moment under the Merlin umbrella, so whilst Alton and Thorpe seem to be on this investment plan, Legoland getting a hotel and improvements and new rides every year, Gardaland and Heide with new Beemers, Chessington really does look like the poor relation. It probably would struglly with new owners. But at the moment the park is going on with one major ride at 21 years old, its second in command almost 10 years old and then what.. Kobra? Rattlesnake? IMHO it really needs a decent level of investment; and I'm not talking more new restaraunts either.

Well, I completely agree with your points on new major investment. Well, who wouldn't? Sometimes Chessington seems to be locked in time compared to other parks, and any new good "Chessington-style" investments would benefit the place no end. Wild Asia sent me thrills simply because it was something new and creative at Chessington after so long. However a major new project has been lacking for far too long now. I think it is time to bring Chessington into the spotlight again, it deserves it. Whether that means it heads towards the dark ride or the rollercoaster end of the spectrum doesn't matter, they would both suit the park perfectly. Of course a third major coaster is needed sooner rather than later, and dark rides in the UK are very difficult to market.

why hasn't something happened yet to all the rides at Chessington that are really starting to look delapidated.

Hmm, in my opinion Chessington has actually been looking dilapidated for years now. I don't mean to nitpick your comment, but it just reminded me that until recently it seemed like Chessington was just being left to rot. No, it is starting to look delapidated, I actually think it is starting to get back to its former glory. Just very slowly and without much new investment...

It'd just be nice to properly do the brand strengthening. Two of my biggest bugbears last year were the toilets being old style, and sealife having old style logos everywhere.Well, they're doing the toilets and hopefully removing all the old signage with it... but the lack of sealife change is just annoying!

Seriously...it's disgustingThorpe Park and Alton Towers get really-good to amazing developments and the last time, they took their fingers out their piehole, was with Dragon's Fury. Don't get me wrong, I love that ride; it's my favourite rollercoaster at CWoA but when there are theme parks that are family businesses and they don't have the financial backing that Merlin Theme Parks do and they build amazing attractions because they are not being afraid to spend, it makes me happy. Then you have Chessington WoA who gives us a few measily things, you can't blame me when us when we throw a hissy.I believe that every area should have one main attraction and that all the old rides should be updated over a period of time. I believe that that period has come. I don't think Merlin have got a good rollercoaster line-up, when it consists of an 21-yr old suspended-swinging coaster, a 23-yr old powered coaster, a 12-yr old wild mouse and a 7-yr old spinning coaster that operates under it 'supposed' thoroughput. Chessington should have built a new rollercoaster in 2008/2009 and I believe a Eurofighter was a very popular choice for Beanoland. I would have built a mild launch coaster for the main Wild Asia land. Pirate's Cove has gone two decades without a main attraction. And I wonder how much money would it have cost to re-theme and install a new flat ride in 'Toytown'.They should at least should have installed a new rollercoaster in '08 and a new one in '12/13 with at least 2-3 family-thrilling / thrilling flat rides between those years.

IMO - It is fine introducing things like Wanyama Villiage, Lorikeet Laggoon, SEA LIFE etc but most of the people that visit are shocked that there is even a Zoo at the park!Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking these Attractions but most of the people there are only there for the rides. And it can prove how advertisments for new attractions can increase numbers compared to Zoo 'features'. Yes - KOBRA is good. So you have a low throughput ... Dragon's Fury - Low... Vampire - I would say quite good but other people might argue different. As soon as one of these rides goes down - you can easily tell... I think a new high throughput ride is defo needed!And for whoever that guy was saying about building that Vekoma ride... erm... ever heard of building restrictions?!

I've taken time to think about all the comments made because as everyone knows, I absolutely love Chessington, and deep down I'd like to think the park is going in the right direction. I honestly think people are disappointed because there is no new attraction this year after a cancelled Toytown retheme.To quote a comment I made on my last Chessie trip report back in November:

I think many fans of the park will know that they do have big ideas, ambitions and plans for the park to ensure that it goes places within the Theme Park Industry. Of course, they can't do everything at once, and I would ask that we're patient and understanding whilst they prioritise and organise their investment plan. It's clear things are bubbling behind the scenes, the evidence is across the whole park through the little additions that have been added throughout the year. At the moment it shows, very bluntly, which areas have been neglected and need some new life injected into them, still, I have faith in the park and look forward to see what they're planning next.

And then to quote Benin in response to my post:

The future is certainly bright for Chessie, they need the support certainly from fans who may not understand about why certain things are being done instead of what may not be that's wanted first in order to improve the overall day out at the park, which is currently a more important thing for them to do...

I don't think the UK theme parks will see the level of investment that the 90's saw all in one season- for example, 1990: Transylvania- Bubbleworks and Vampire, 1992: Katanga Canyon, Mine Train and The Haunted House and 1994: Forbidden Valley- Nemesis and Toyland Tours.When we think about it, Chessington's developments have always been gradual from the 90's, onwards, it was very unusual for the park to open several major attractions.Although Tussauds invested a great deal with Land of the Dragons and was particularly significant, we have to think of the larger picture. At the time the park was being marketed towards the very young, which IMO completely ruined the park's image, with in reality the majority of the park's attractions being suitable for an extremely broad range of age groups.Operationally, towards the end of the Tussauds reign, it was not unusual for some of the smaller attractions to be "dual operated", which was a budget cut that management made at the time to satisfy the minimal budgets Tussauds imposed on the park. We also saw very little investment into infrastructure, and I mean minimal. This is where all the rotten, tatty looking attractions that you see today started to go down the pan. The complete lack of care from DIC's Tussauds meant that the management at the park were unable to carry out the work that they may have wanted to do.Merlin takes over and has its first full season in 2008. Whilst Chessie's Sea- Life is far from perfect, both on the outside and the inside, it represented the first investment made to the park since Dragon's Fury, in fact, since then the park had lost attractions with the removal of the Rodeo.At the time I think it would be fair to say that Merlin were still unsure as to the direction of the park, however they increased operational and engineering budgets significantly, which meant that the current park management were able to perform some much needed changes. For example- enough staff to cover all attractions, all the time, there was actually enough cleaning equipment to go around, the normally expected paint- jobs were able to be carried out, all of these were unable to be performed with DIC's Tussauds lack of throught, planning and passion.In 2009, there was a big management change at Chessington, and things were seriously bubbling behind the scenes; there was talk about causing a huge fuss and a relaunch of the park as a brand the following year. After a fantastic 2008 season, it seems as though Merlin realized that the park had a lot of potential and could do incredibly well with the right care and investment. We saw the operational budgets increase again- this meant staff could start earlier and more time was spent to motivate staff, do general morning cleaning around rides and also enable more time to talk to your team leaders should you need to. The fact that extra positions became available on rides such as the Vampire and Dragon Falls meant that the levels of customer service greatly improved.2010 saw a huge rebrand for the park. the marketing team were advertising Chessington as an experience for everyone in the family. Wild Asia opened, which was a very significant investment for Chessington as it sets the standard for all future additions. Whilst the retheme remaining relatively cheap, it's important to note the level of thought that went in to the new area. I believe that everything Chessington management are doing now is for the future. The possibility of merging Wild Asia with Mystic East to create an Asian theme continent is the type of detail that I love as it makes perfect sense and takes the park back to its roots in terms of places around the world.Whilst operationally, the park did suffer from some budget cuts towards the middle of the season (staff went back to starting later on weekdays, end of season party for the staff was cut), I feel it is important to note the continual improvements that were still made on park despite some of these cuts. Also, Alton Towers also received some similar cuts, especially in the Entertainments department, which saw the temporary loss of the Wraiths and Bush demons in the Dark Forest.This year, the park are being allowed the budget to make the essential improvements to the park infrastructure that should have been done years ago when Tussauds were still in the game. If Tussauds had made those improvements, then I honestly believe the park would not have suffered as many power cuts that it did during the 2009 season. Whilst it may be frustrating not being able to see where the money is going, it definitely is being spent, just not all at once and as much as we'd like. This year, the park will look much fresher and be up to the standard that people should automatically expect. Once again, I ask that people are patient, the park management are so passionate about the park, they love it as much as some of us here do, but in order for them to give us some fantastic attractions, they need to sort out the basics first. Adding attractions only paints over the cracks for a short period, if the park wish to expand and be able to accommodate the extra guest figures, they need to be able to have the infrastructure to be able to deal with it.Thanks if you read to the end. Chessington is very dear to me and am obviously very passionate about it. :)

Nice post. Only one thing to add - dual opping was a regular occurance in 2000s as well. It's always happened to the park.It is interesting how they treat the staff.. the end of season party seems the most silly thing to remove due to cuts - its there primarily to ensure a high returning rate next year cos it rubs off on them.Towers had budget cuts on pretty much entertainments only. It's unique that it has a welfare officer, ensuring benefits like the end of season party doesn't get removed - and the morning games remain!

Once again, I ask that people are patient, the park management are so passionate about the park, they love it as much as some of us here do, but in order for them to give us some fantastic attractions, they need to sort out the basics first. Adding attractions only paints over the cracks for a short period, if the park wish to expand and be able to accommodate the extra guest figures, they need to be able to have the infrastructure to be able to deal with it.

Thing is Sheepie, you know me and you know that I know all that. And I'm not saying throw lots of attractions at it because it would make a dreary, ride filled hole. What I would like to understand is why Chessington is the one being shafted again. The management need time to come to grips with the basics, fine. What exactly have they been up since 2008. Why is no one pointing out the obvious that there are some rides there that need serious TLC. Wild Asia only adds to the fire, it looks fantastic. You only have to walk 5 minutes to see the wreck of a ride that Runaway and Skyway have become. You talk about the infastructure, fine. I'll argue that the park should not be even thinking about new attractions until it brings Skyway, Runaway, Vampire and the Bubbleworks up to scratch and in line with Wild Asia. I don't think simple repaints are the answer either here..

I agree with you Mark. Management are talking about these things, and if they could do it all at once then they would. These things you talk about will get done, just not all at once, they're having to think wisely about where their budget is spent.This brings me to your original point about Chessington being sold off and being a family-run theme park. I suppose I have thought about it, but I'm unsure of what it would mean for the park. If it was to be sold off, it would have to be to a family that loved theme parks, and be able to provide the budget to do the park the justice it deserves.This is where I'm out of my depth, as I'm no expert on family run theme parks. But to me, it would be a huge risk for the theme park on both a creative and financial level.

• 1 year later...

For me, I would like to see improvement to the South grass car park. The grass areas themselves are OK but the rough roadways are awful to drive over, and when I exited recently I went through the barrier and the car grounded with a thump in to a large crater! Just a bit of tarmac here and there would be nice.

If I owned Chessington at the moment I would make these four things my top pritoritys:

1. Closure of the tomb blaster bridges. (After the recent accident I would not use those. If the ride was busy I would put temporary fencing outside of the ride entrance.)

2. New family dark rollercoaster. (It doesn't have to be expensive, just fun and with a high capacity.)

3. Improvements to the car park. (Exit road tarmac etc...)

4. Bubbleworks revamped with strobes back in the final.

• 10 months later...

well, I'd like to see more rides, and I'd like to see a 4 d theater like thorpe had with time voyagers- I think a 4 d show would work well at chessington

less focus on the zoo would be nice.. very nice. it's now called Chessington, so like thorpe, yearly new atractions (not zoo related would be nice)

transalvania needs an eatery with a transalvanian style name I think.. and maybe in vampire- add a little vampire... kind of like the dragon/ dragon's aprentice at leggo land.

perhaps some more outdoor shows...

I agree the zoo gives Chessington an advantage the other parks are lacking. I can't take family to Thorpe now that they've removed the toddler specific rides, which means I don't go. But all the family can be thoroughly amused in the zoo and of course it's a great place to pass time while you're waiting for something else. Plus, with the zoo being open in winter and the additional rides they've been opening along with it we're getting to a point where we have a year round theme park.

They need to invest in both sides, as the zoo is still a very good pull for guests (as many older guests remember when it was just a zoo)...

Defo a swift kick up the arse regarding overall investment on new rides and renovating old ones though... Whilst Falls and Runaway are a start on that, half the park still looks shoddy and/or crap... And a lack of new high throughput rides is a problem...

And they need to try and think things through a little bit more... Zufari being a prime example of this...

• 2 years later...

*blows the cobwebs*

Chessington needs a lot of investment currently to bring it back near to the golden days (1987-1999), here's what I would do

Tomb Blaster re themed to a new lost mystic ride with new top notch effects, interactive theming along with new soundtrack by Ima score, capacity increased on ride too.

Dragons fury completely repainted with new signage themed queue with effects (because it's the first thing most guests will see when the north car park is used)

Forbidden Kingdom plaza completely refurbsuhed similar to Market Square,

Bubble works is completely restored to its original form but given some more modern touches such as wall projections and effects and the theme tune resynced like it used to be, the ride will be spots erred by coke but loosely.

Vampire repainted with rebuilt new theming and interactive queue features, chandeliers replaced

30th anniversary throughout the season with special events and a light show projected on the mansion at the end of the year

Sea lion bay updated to become more interactive

Skyway safari removed and replaced with more modern updated version which will take a new route including going near zufari

New show to replace Madagascar

Sea Storm given Europa treatment

Burger kitchen rebranded to become more spooky based

Brand new family coaster like juvelin built on the site of toadies and peeking heights site,

Rattlesnake theming repaired

Dragon falls rethemed

2021 temple of mayhem replaced by dark ride like Arthur at Europa park

• 5 weeks later...

I would:

First off, add a sign signifying Pirate's Cove. Because anyone who's never been before could easily think this is just another part of Market Square. Also, I would slightly refurbish Sea Storm by giving it an LED Sign for the queue time, a proper entrance and on-ride audio with themed announcements.

Refurbish Dragon's Fury by building a new queue, theme tune, and adding in loads of new theming, like a 'Dragon's Lair', which would be something like a pit with smoke, fire, sound and strobe effects.

I would replace the theming on Dragon Falls and make it better at the same time.

I would add audio to all the bits of the park that need it, I.e. Vampire queue line, Land of the Dragons and Pirate's Cove.

I would add a new themed area where Santa's Grotto is. It would be themed around the Arctic (continuing the parts of the world theme) and would feature a family Mack MegaCoaster.

Finally, I would retheme Tomb Blaster to be linked to Rameses. Maybe the story of why Rameses wants Revenge? As when I first saw this ride, my first question was "Why does Rameses want Revenge?"