The Black Hole

MattMan

Was it any good?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have rated Black Hole?

An absolutely amazing ride that was a fantastic experience. Meant that X Sector was a definite visit every trip, and in general a fantastic family coaster for the park.I think I know why it went, down to evacuation safety laws changing , meaning a relatively large cost would have been needed to make them up to today's standards, a cost that sadly, Alton weren't willing to pay even if I think they should :P

An absolutely amazing ride that was a fantastic experience. Meant that X Sector was a definite visit every trip, and in general a fantastic family coaster for the park.I think I know why it went, down to evacuation safety laws changing , meaning a relatively large cost would have been needed to make them up to today's standards, a cost that sadly, Alton weren't willing to pay even if I think they should :P

I also heard a rumor that the sound track was very similar to Space Mountain's.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss it... Really do... Seeing that image makes me slightly sad inside even though the coaster was nowhere near special to me...Maybe because it was ditched because they didn't want to spend the extra money on it and you still see the remains of it sitting there after several years...

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I remember as a kid being so much more intimidated by the Black Hole compared to The Beast, which was basically the same ride but not in a tent. Amazing what a difference it makes to a ride by putting it in the dark, feels a lot faster and more disorientating.Was sad to see it go, but probably the right decision if they would have had to throw that much money at it to get it up to spec. As long as they spend that money saved on something special and new in there instead. Oh.

• 9 months later...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When the ride which the tent housed left the park in 2005, the tents days was numbered and on the 12th April 2012, after 24 years at Alton Towers, The big blue tent (which was originally green and yellow!) has finally started to be taken down.

R.I.P Black hole tent, X-sector is about to be changed forever!

March 1988 - April 2012

Credits to TowersTimes for the photos

• 2 years later...

Brilliant ride - The Beast was great but virtually the same in the dark was a different dimension. The walkway into it was themed and had one of those illusion-turning tunnels. Up the lift hill to be warned by the illuminated Alien to "Hold tight!" then away into the darkness belting round the two astronauts connected by a single strobe-like flashing rope . Loved it.