Longleat - UK No.1 Safari Park

MarkC

Longleat is amazing and is for all ages. Unlike many other attractions in the uk they are continuously adding things and changing things! There is a train ride around the park and simulators which to name just a few rides. The main focus of coarse is the safari which is a amazing experience! This summer theycopened a giraffe feeding are where you can get close enough to touch the giraffes! If you want a break from the thrills of thorpe park make sure you check out longleat.

It's not hard to understand, it is just an odd comparison to make. Similar to saying 'want a break from the thrills at Thorpe? Go to the zoo instead'. Normally you'd make such a comparison with a tamer theme park, or at least something nearby! It's not wrong or misunderstood, just odd.

Anyway, I do love Longleat, as much for the house and gardens as the safari and 'rides'. The drive through is extensive and I find it quite novel, but I wouldn't take our 'good' car through the monkey enclosure, which leaves the unfortunate choice of a few hundred miles in the crap car or missing the best bit. The maze is fun too, as well as the smaller animals in the more traditional zoo/farm areas, there always seems to be staff bringing snakes and spiders out for guests to hold.

I only ever go as part of a trip to Centre Parcs next door. That's the strangest thing, wandering round the dark deserted woods at night hearing lions roar in the distance. Unnerving!

Unfortunately I've never managed to see the most rare and beautiful creature found at Longleat, which for years I've most wanted to cum across . Kate Humble.

• 3 months later...

COMING SOON TO LONGLEAT:

ThemeParks-UK can exclusively reveal plans for theme park rides at Longleat Safari & Adventure Park in Wiltshire.

The potential development, called Project Inca, would see Longleat become a cross between an animal park and a theme park. Successful examples of mixing theme park rides with animal attractions include Flamingo Land,Chessington and West Midland Safari & Leisure Park.

Possible rides shown on the plans include two roller coasters, a water shute, another water ride based around an Inca temple, a chair-o-plane, swinging ship, merry-go-round and another spinning type ride.

The new area of theme park rides would be located on currently unused land between the Longleat Caravan Club Site and theJungle Express railway line, towards the end of Half Mile Lake near Pelican Cove. It would be accessed from the current Adventure Park by new paths and via a new Jungle Express station and a new Jungle Cruise dock, which would both transport people from the Jungle Kingdom area.

LongleatProjectInca.jpg

LongleatMap.jpg

This year Longleat will open Penguin Island & Stingray Cove. The original concept for the attraction was Polar Expedition, also featuring Ibex, Lynx, Bears, Reindeer, Snowy Owl, a treetop walk and climbing wall. This area would have been located alongside the lake but it will now be next to Monkey Temple and the additional animal exibits will no longer form part of it.

LongleatPolarExpedition.jpg
There are also plans for a 4D Cinema to be introduced, the artists impression suggests that it will be located by the bridge from Monkey Temple to Animal Adventure.
Longleat4DCinema.jpg

This is great news! This looks like exciting stuff, as long as the animals play the main part of it then everything will be sweet. The amount of new potential rides is just enough to keep you entertained for a but whilst not taking the attention away too much from the actual main area.

Have to admit slightly disapointed polar express will now not be fully built as that looked brilliant but I'll make do.

This is a major step in a new direction :o

• 4 months later...

I've only been to Longleat once (4 years ago) and absolutely loved it - although was a tad disappointed that the monkey bit was closed (think there was an infection or something).

The sealions are amazing - I love sealions and want one as a pet :crazy: . Do you still only get to do one attraction with a passport day thingy? When I went we paid a certain amount, got to go around the safari bit and then each individual attraction just the once (I really wanted to see the sealions again boo).

Woburn safari park is pretty good aswell - again, went there 4 years ago - they have swan boats woooo!!! Just went a tad off topic there..... :tease:

Awwww:)x

Visitors to Longleat had an unexpected new arrival in the shape of a new born baby giraffe on Friday! Our baby boy is enjoying the lovely sunshine and we are still thinking of a name for him. We are going through the alphabet and looking at names beginning with the letter N! Any suggestions? Check out http://www.longleat.co.uk/news/endangered_giraffe_gives_birth_to_bouncing_baby

hs5np3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right... Went last week to longleat and was surprised to see the penguins and stingrays open!

The penguins are amazing! You can stand with them and if your lucky they cuddle your legs:D The stingrays are a large pool in which you can touch them and stroke them!

Now he interesting part:

Opening 2014 is a 5D Cinema! Vengeance anyone?

Also, they are opening a theme park section in 2016 with 2 rollercoasters!

OH....MY.....LAWD......they have STINGRAYS there now???! STINGRAYS??? - sorry, don't mean to shout but I absolutely love them (ever since I went to Sealife in London before Merlin took over and you could touch them) - I have to get to Longleat even if it is just to see the stingrays and sealions :D

Sorry I totally ignored your bit about having rollercoasters in 2016....just.....I love stingrays :wub: and I think I have a spiritual attachment to them - or I was one in a past life. Gonna shut up now otherwise I will be waffling about stingraaaayyyys all afternoon :yahoo:

PS: don't suppose you got any pics of the cute little fellas did you?! :crazy: Not that I am obsessed or anything :ninja:

Yes Whiteknuckle - I love them! I also have stingray teddy things which I am collecting (pretty sad I know) - they are so majestic and friendly (except the one that killed Steve Irwin perhaps) - and it looks like they have a FACE! I once spent about an hour stroking them at the london aquarium.....lush!