The TPM Quiz 2.0

Sidders

FORENOTE: Please read the whole of the post. You can choose to scroll all the way down to the big reveal or build it up. :)

Right you merry lot! Nail-biting's of the menu as I can now reveal all! I shall say now that Marc Thorpe are being less than co-operative with the prizes at the moment, so they're still holding on to whatever they want to bequeath the winners. Bequeath is probs the wrong word but oh wells.

OKAY. So that fourth round was a right ol' rollick wasn't it? Some great answers from you all, and I can tell the Internet was well and truly used by (some of) you! You know who you are, people who didn't read the instructions! Also, some of you forgot to read that I only wanted one answer per question, and so for those of you who gave more than one answer, I selected the first answer in your list as you final answer, even if that meant scoring lower than if I'd picked some of the other answers. Sorry, but that's the penalty for not reading the instructions!

So what we've got below are 20 tables, one for each question. The question is featured at the top of the table, the possible answers to the questions are just below, and to the side are the member names. The numbers in red just below the possible answers are the available points for that answer, and these vary between answer based vaguely on 'obscurity' (they're not just random numbers either; there is a formula). If an answer shows up in green, it means that only 1 of the 21 players selected it and received full points for their efforts. If an answer shows up in red, it means that the answer was not picked by any player. And if the answer remains in black, it will feature a number in brackets after it; this number denotes the number of players who selected that answer, and the available points have thereby been divided equally between them. If your name appears in red, it means you gave an incorrect answer. I've added a little "End of Question" cell to the bottoms of the question tables so you can scroll through them one at a time without ruining it. :P

After the 20 question tables there will be a 21st table, which shows all the points earned by all the players in this round. After that, the 22nd table is the final leaderboard with all the marks, both raw and UMS for every player in every round. This table shows the winner, who collected the most UMS marks over the four rounds.

Table 1: This one was fairly straightforward. The rule was that if you look at the coaster's track and it's either primary blue or more blue than green or purple, I've got it listed. Many of you were rather fond of GateKeeper, but Manta attracted a few votes too. There were four answers untouched in this question. My kudos to Adam (scarycoasterboy), who quite cleverly chose the Hungarian Horntail...

Question1_zps18878558.png

Table 2: Another straight-forward one with quite a few possible answers. Interestingly, Intamin and Gerstlauer, those both obvious, were completely avoided! Neither carried many marks anyway. Kudos to Phill Pritchard for selecting the correct manufacturers of Mr. Monkey's Banana Ride, as I understand Wikipedia lists it as HUSS. I love that four people ended up choosing N. V. Aquatics, (the creators of Neptune's Beach, Depth Charge and Wet Wet Wet), and it just goes to show how unpredictable this quiz can be! Some great unique answers on this one though, so well done to all.

Question2_zps5b9a8bd4.png

Table 3: This one caused a bit of ambiguity on my behalf. Originally, I wasn't allowing Canada-based, Six Flags-owned theme park La Ronde, as an answer, because it wasn't prefixed with the "Six Flags" title. But I soon realised poor wording on my part meant it was an entirely valid answer. A lot of unique answers for this question too, although quite a few of you were very fond of Six Flags St. Louis!

Question3_zps51923976.png

Table 4: This one caused a little more confusion still. Some players were choosing theme parks or manufacturers who have held the record. I was of course, looking for coasters. This does mean that Journey to the Stars never held the record, because it only has eleven inversions and is not even open yet. The Smiler stopped it ever being a record-holder. Now of course, Vortex and Viper are very high-scoring because they are very tricky to find record of, because it was so long ago that they held their records, but well done to Han30, Cornflakes, Phill Pritchard, and Peaj for finding them!

Question4_zpsa7620503.png

Table 5: This was a popular one for people to give me more than one answer for. Even so, I love the division of points here. Each flag was worth the same amount of points as the source material is very easily to find, but purple seemed to be the most popular, closely followed by orange, and yet no-one picked pink! Green was also a Unique pick for Coaster Jamie, so well done him.

Question5_zpscc2bb2ea.png

Table 6: Here's one that seemingly had endless answers. I find it quite amusing that no-one picked Rita or Furius Baco: two of quite possibly, the worst intamin launchers in the world. Fairly even spread of answers here actually, and especially well done to pluk for Senzafiato (basically a faster and slightly altered, Spanish version of Rita), to Dan9 for Skycar (the birth-child of StormRunner and Blue Fire) and to JoshC. for Kanonen (Liseberg's not-so-spectacular launched coaster).

Question6_zpseeefe5fd.png

Table 7: As there's only four answers to this one, each answer is worth a lot of points. Thankfully, there was a fairly even spread, though California Adventure's Tower of Terror seemed the most popular. A moment of silence for James & Co., who sadly couldn't name one of Disney's flagship attractions. :P

Question7_zpsfa7bdb5e.png

Table 8: This one didn't throw as many of you as I'd hoped! The obvious one is Cedar Point, the first of the Cedar Fair parks. But then again, all other answers were one or two results into a quick Google search, except Michigan's Adventure and Gilroy Gardens, so excellent work to Dan9 for finding the latter. Valleyfair! was worth quite a few points, but the 10.8 available pittered out a bit when four people chose it! Well done also to Luke and stretchy for their Unique answers here.

Question8_zps4d969b36.png

Table 9: I thought I'd trick a few of you on this one too, but I guess this quiz is just as predictable for me as it is for you guys! Three players opted for Batman la Fuga and shared 14.9 points. Although it translates as exactly the same as "Batman - The Ride", it's still called Batman la Fuga, and so was a possible answer. In the practise quiz no-one had even heard of Lightning so Dan9, Peaj, R1C4Y and scarycoasterboy have a bittersweet victory there. Extra special congratulations to James & Co. though, for bagging the highest-scoring Unique answer in the whole quiz!

Question9_zpsc1d241cc.png

Table 10: This is another big one. With 16 possible answers and 21 players it's quite a shock to see some of the Shared answers in this question! It seemed the oddly named Jr. Gemini attracted a fair few, as did the original Gemini. But all in all this is a very rounded turn out of answers. Interestingly, some of Cedar Point's most notable coasters were left completely ignored (Raptor, Maverick, Millennium Force).

Question10_zps3486a986.png

Table 11: Another basic question, but quite a few Shared answers meant that this one turned into a low-scoring question for most players. The Incredible Hulk and joint highest-scoring answer Bizarro (formerly Medusa) were left untouched. Kudos to Adam once more for selecting another Unique answer with SeaWorld's Kraken, bagging 8.7 points to himself.

Question11_zps53a03160.png

Table 12: Shocking. Shocking. Shocking results! Not one of you picked the Superman B&M flyers! I mean, I know they're rubbish right (A pretzel loop, three turns and a flip? Waste!), but come on! The result was quite a few votes spilling over into Escape from Krypton, Ride of Steel and el Ultimo Escapé. Only one Unique answer here, awarded to pluk for picking Ultimate Flight - the Premier Rides launched loopy inversion-of-death-and-hang-time thing at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

Question12_zps41912409.png

Table 13: Quite interesting results here, and as Dan9 pointed out, I think this question may have required further explanation. I was looking for slogans used in marketing, such as those appearing in adverts or on posters, etc. For instance, "If you go down to the woods today, you'd better not go alone". That sort of thing. Quite a few of you missed quite a few of the possible answers, such as Inferno of The Swarm's slogans. Excellent work to JoshC. and R1C4Y for remembering Colossus' slogan!

Question13_zpsd0458e56.png

Table 14: Plenty of choices available here! Although there were still quite a few that were ignored. Dollywood, Gardaland, PortAventura, Six Flags Great America and Cedar Point were left untouched but there was still room for three unique answers. Heide Park's available points were lowered due to the high-profile B&M Wing Coaster currently being built, as well as the fact that since 2010, it was the park's second B&M build. Excellent work to Han30 and Phill Pritchard for their 9.9 points apiece for Carowinds and Ocean Park respectively!

Question14_zpsf82db263.png

Table 15: This one was quite tricky, despite looking very simple. I can imagine you guys having RCDB up on your screens showing the names of some of these theme parks and thinking... Wut. This turned out to be quite a tricky one, so all available points were standardised at 7.1. Even so, three Unique answers came from it so well done to J.S217, Dan9 and Peaj. :)

Question15_zps49ae8f7b.png

Table 16: I didn't realise just how many Disney attractions are based on mountains, and when I did I made this question, which stumped a few of you! Nobody picked any of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroads, with the exception of Hong Kong Disneyland's version - Big Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars. This ended up being the question with the most Unique answer though, so well done if you got one!

Question16_zps694c0528.png

Table 17: Another straight-forward question here, and with two high-scoring Unique answers, congratulations are in order for Peaj and stretchy! Strangely, no-one picked one of the newest additions to the SEALIFE chain, the HUSS-built SEALIFE Tower at Weymouth. Boo all you West Country haters!

Question17_zpsb1b6cb6e.png

Table 18: Bit of confusion here, with whether Drayton Manor's Shockwave should be considered a B&M Stand-Up. It certainly looks like a B&M, and B&M did technically work on it, but they didn't build it. It was designed by Intamin and built by the now-defunct company Giovanola. Both Bolliger and Mabillard were working for Intamin, so really, they only designed it. They fabricated none of the actual coaster. Other than that, a lot of you were very fond of Riddler's Revenge! And since no-one picked Apocalypse at Six Flags America, there was definitely room to even out those scores!

Question18_zps7156ed82.png

Table 19: Who knew there were so many drop towers exceeding 300ft!? I certainly didn't so the Internet helped me here. Still, nearly half of the possible answers were left untouched, including one of the high-scorers, the imaginatively-named 'Big Tower'. Well done to Cameron on this one for bagging the only Unique answer.

Question19_zps8f596359.png

Table 20: I thought I'd end on a tongue-in-cheek one. Nine! Nine coasters with black or grey track! Seven of which have been built in the last six years! Of course, those are the obvious ones. Well, those and Oblivion. Heide Park's Desert Race managed to sneak past most of you, as did X! Well done to Dan and Cameron for getting those, respectively!

Question20_zps6bf6910f.png

Which means that this is what the results table for the Multiple Choice Round only looks like:

MultipleChoiceRoundResults_zpsc983e09e.p

Congratulations to Peaj who has scored the highest in the fourth round! And well done to everyone else who gave such good answers. Hope you enjoy/ed looking over who voted for what. :) Have to dash out now for a wee bit, and this has taken most of the day to write, but stay tuned for the final results! :)

Actually, I have time now. :P

RIGHT. Here's the official leaderboard. The total column adds up the UMS marks (the ones with the bars in the cells), so that each round has the same number of marks proportionate to the original raw mark maximum. There's no UMS conversion in the last quiz because of the different scoring system making it complicated enough already. You're winner is...

QuizFinalLeaderboard_zpse5b0ae65.png

Dan9!

Here's the leaderboard in order:

1. Dan9: 217.8
  2. Peaj: 209.9
  3. scarycoasterboy: 198.6
  4. Cornflakes: 195.2
  5. JoshC.: 190.7
  6. pluk: 183.6
  7. Phill Pritchard: 180.4
  8. Luke_A: 177.7
  9. J.S217: 176.1
  10. EC!: 170.0
  11. Coaster Jamie: 168.7
  12. James & Co.: 160.4
  13. James_C: 157.6
  14. stretchy: 147.1
  15. coastergod: 146.9
  16. R1C4Y: 145.5
  17. Han30: 144.9
  18. coastercameron98: 144.2
  19. Matt Creek: 120.0
  20. MarkC: 103.4
  21. Mr Fish: 94.9
  22. Topsyturvy15: 77.6
  23. Holly: 34.6*
  24. Tiddlywinks: 25.9**
  25. MohammedAli: 12.1**
  26. Frog-Tastic98: 10.3**

* = Did not complete Rounds 3 and 4

** = Did not complete Round 2, 3 and 4

Hope you all enjoyed the quiz! :D

As I said, still unsure about when prizes will be with you (top three)! I'm still nagging Thorpe!

Thanks Sidders, reading through the results of that last round really was great fun. I am so pleased to come 7th in the end, especially after finding the 2nd and 3rd rounds a lot more difficult than I'd hoped.

Thanks again Sidders for taking the time to devise such a great quiz and I look forward to taking part in more of them in the future. :)