The TPM Quiz 2.0

Sidders

can we do some "Research" as you call it before the date of the quiz???

when you say records, its any park right??

not just thorpe?

if you can't say because of rules/giving away too much to the question/answers, please do say

Right,

You can do as much research as you want before the quiz however, during the quiz you can not use any resources like Wikipedia!

The records themselves will be global and can be anything from what is the fastest rollercoaster in the world to what is the name of the rollercoaster with the largest loop!

Any more questions feel free to ask!

Right,

You can do as much research as you want before the quiz however, during the quiz you can not use any resources like Wikipedia!

The records themselves will be global and can be anything from what is the fastest rollercoaster in the world to what is the name of the rollercoaster with the largest loop!

Any more questions feel free to ask!

Thanks for answering Mark! That's very right about what you say with regard to what type of questions you might get. This round will be focusing on national and international stages in coaster engineering. From world's firsts to world's only's, this round should be great fun as well. :)

I have a few more marks for you all by the way. Here they are:

James_C: 45.0

Peaj: 53.0 (amendment)

scarycoasterboy: 51.0

Tiddlywinks: 30.0

Topsyturvy15: 23.0

Now we only have two more members to do the quiz. Mer and Dan9, hurry up - you only have two days left!

Won't be able to make it tomorrow as there will be no wifi on the golden, glistening, hot beach that leads onto the Pearl blue waters of Spain. Just rubbing it in there. Be jealous. Be very jealous.

I am. Keep rubbing it in. Meanwhile I'm in a luxurious place which I call England. Good weather though, I give it that!

Thank you, that's a great help. I don't think I will have Internet access on holiday, of course if I do then I might get a minute to complete them earlier than when I get back (although this is unlikely).

EDIT: Sorry for missing this evening's quiz night, I completely forgot as my mind was full with the chaos and panic of getting ready for holiday!

I have now sent you the answers, but will be unable to make the next two (as I have said above).

Thanks!

Another huge thanks to everyone who took part in the live quiz yesterday! So sorry I couldn't make you all aware of the quiz as I did with the last round, hence some of you missed it. Those who were not present have been PM'd, and I have already received responses from six other members. Excellent work guys!

And yes, this quiz was a bit harder for some people. Naturally, with it not being wholly focused on Thorpe (there was one questions on it though!), it was always going to be more of a challenge. Despite this, there have been some great results come in so far. Here are the members who have sent me their answers and their respective points for the Records Round.

coastercameron98: 27.0

coastergod: 29.0

Coaster Jamie: 29.0

Cornflakes: 33.0

Dan9: 35.0

EC!: 36.0

Han30: 9.0

Holly: 5.5

James_C: 33.0

James & Co.: 20.5

JoshC.: 32.5

J.S217: 30.0

Luke_A: 32.0

pluk: 20.0

R1C4Y: 13.0

MarkC: 31.0

Matt Creek: 22.0

Mr. Fish: 2.0

stretchy: 23.0

More results to be added when members send me their answers. For those of you who have not completed this week's round yet, I have sent you a PM with the questions. Please remember you will have 30 minutes upon opening the PM to send me your answers.

Congratulations to EC! for currently scoring the highest in this round with 36/42! Does anyone have the knowledge to de-throne him? Next week's round is the Picture Round and will be held on Thursday 25th July at 8pm. Mark your calendars folks!

See you all next week!

Sidders :)

Quite happy with my 32.5 - a bit better than I was expecting, especially as I thought this'd be my worst round. Looking forward to the Pictures Round now.

Sidders - will you be posting the answers at any point? I know people will take them at different times and such, but maybe after the round has been taken by everyone or something? Will be fun to see the answers to some questions; especially Q5! :P

Quite happy with my 32.5 - a bit better than I was expecting, especially as I thought this'd be my worst round. Looking forward to the Pictures Round now.

Sidders - will you be posting the answers at any point? I know people will take them at different times and such, but maybe after the round has been taken by everyone or something? Will be fun to see the answers to some questions; especially Q5! :P

Doing it now! :)

Right ladies and gents. The time has passed on the Thorpe Park Round. Actually it passed two days ago but I'm only human! Here are the answers I was looking for in the first round. Congratulations to everyone who got even half of them right! It was a difficult round!

1) In which South West UK county can you find the Merlin Entertainments Group Headquarters? (3)

A lot of people misread this one, and went for Poole, which is the town in which you will find Merlin HQ. Some made educated guesses, opting for Surrey. The correct answer was Dorset. Ooh arr an' a pint o' coiderrr! ;)

2) Which past Thorpe Park ride currently operates at Chessington? N.B. – I’ll accept both names of the ride. (1)

Some people also misread this one. Many members chose Samurai, which currently operates at Thorpe. I was looking for a ride once owned by Thorpe, which was moved to Chessington! The correct answer was Eclipse, which has since been renamed Peeking Heights. Either answer was acceptable.

3) Which of Thorpe’s coasters notoriously killed a pigeon sitting on the track by running over it during the 2008 season? (1)

I have since been informed that this shameless pigeon-slaughter is a regular occurrence. :P Of course, the correct answer was Stealth.

4) In which now-defunct area of Thorpe Park could you once find the ride Up Periscope? (2)

Once a much-loved break between the Lost City and Amity Cove, the correct answer was the lovely Octopus Gardens. Storm Surge now sits in the area. Boooo!

5) How many heartline rolls does Colossus have? (1)

A straight-forward question, but you'll be surprised by how many people forgot the last clockwise heartline roll just before the brakes! The correct answer was five.

6) Which three rides at Thorpe Park were built by Intamin? (3)

Two of these I thought you'd all get easy enough, but there's always one people seem to forget! Or not in some geeks' case. ;) The correct answers were Colossus, Stealth and Rumba Rapids! One mark for each answer.

7) Which company does Thorpe Park currently rent The Crash Pad from? (1)

Shame on you if you didn't know this! With such a divided response it can only be Shipping Containers Ltd. Snoozebox!

8) What name was Wicked Witches Haunt first known by when it opened in 1983? (5)

One for the seasoned Thorpe Park visitors! Although, many of you got this one right, so congratulations. The correct answer was Phantom Fantasia.

9) Which of Thorpe Park’s coasters features an Immelman loop? (1)

A fair range of answers came in on this one, which I thought was quite straightforward. Who got caught out? The correct answer was SAW - The Ride! It's the loop directly after the main drop. :)

10) In 2007, how much did the Merlin Entertainments Group purchase Thorpe Park for when The Tussauds Group ceased to exist as a separate entity? (4)

This question was unanimously answered incorrectly! This quiz master succeeded! ;) Some great guesses though. A few people gave me the right sum if I had asked for the entire Tussauds Group attraction cost, but for just Thorpe, Merlin paid £696M.

11) Name three sponsorships of any ride at Thorpe Park, past or present. If you can’t name three, name as many as you can. (3)

Quite a few interesting answers here! Some of you forgot that the answers must be sponsorships of rides! Here are the possible answers: Yorkie (Stealth), Ribena (Rumba Rapids), Tetley Tea (Storm in a Teacup), Original Source (Tidal Wave), Dr Pepper (Tidal Wave), Costa Coffee (Nemesis Inferno during construction only). One mark for each answer.

12) Which company owned Thorpe Park before The Tussauds Group, when it was a flooded quarry site? (2)

Bit of confusion with this question, but I was looking for the company who owned the site immediately before The Tussauds Group purchased it in 1998. The correct answer was Ready Mix Concrete (RMC).

14) Which trio of rides opened in 2003? (3)

Quite a few people tripped up on this question! There were three other rides installed in 2001 and some people misread 2003 for 2001. Further difficulty was added because one of the rides is no longer at Thorpe! The answers I was looking for were Nemesis Inferno, Quantum, and Eclipse. One mark for each answer.

15) Name any four of the Thorpe Park Rangers, who reside in Ranger County, had a number of rides named after them, and were the mascots for Thorpe Park until 2005. If you can’t name four, name as many as you can. (4)

Another one for the more seasoned of you enthusiasts! The possible answers were: Chief Ranger, Baby Bear, Mr Rabbit, Mr Monkey, Mr Giraffe, Miss Hippo, Miss Frog, Mr Elephant and Harley. One mark for each answer.

16) Which now-closed American park did the Merlin Entertainments Group buy Storm Surge from? (2)

Some of you didn't even know Storm Surge wasn't new! What are you lot like? ;) Merlin bought Cypress Gardens, and shipped Storm Surge over from the US park.

17) Which Surrey-born rock band provided the soundtrack for Thorpe Park’s 2012 coaster, The Swarm? (1)

Plenty of good guesses for this one; most people answered it correctly. The correct answer was You Me At Six.

18) According to the 2003–2009 Medium-Term Development Plan, which ride were Tussauds planning to build a replica of in 2005 to improve capacity? N.B. – The installation never happened. (3)

Lost of different answers for this one too! Many of you bagged the three points available though. The correct answer was Detonator.

19) Which Thorpe Park seasonal scare maze has annually been located inside The Arena since 2011? (1)

We all know this. Lauded in its opening year and met with mixed views in it's second, its Experiment 10.

20) What sea creature can be seen crashing through the wall above the main entrance of the Amity Hotel, which houses KFC? (1)

A lovely touch of Thorpe-style themeing. And of course, its a shark.

21) In 2004, Samurai, a Mondial Top-Scan from Chessington, came to Thorpe Park. But which ride used to operate in the spot that Samurai now occupies? (2)

Even though this change occurred in 2004, some people struggled with this. If I remember correctly it was removed due to its overtly 'fairground' appearance which clashed with the surrounding Canada Creek. The correct answer was Calgary Stampede.

How many rides/attractions have been installed in Thorpe Park since 2000 (inclusive)? N.B. – This includes rides that are no longer operational/have been removed and rides that were once closed but have since re-opened. (5)

This was was a toughy. Players lost one mark for every three marks they were from the true number. The number I was looking for was 18. So if you choose 15, you'd get 4 points, but if you chose 13, you'd get 3 points, etc., etc. Here are the rides:

Tidal Wave (2000), Vortex (2001), Detonator (2001), Zodiac (2001), Colossus (2002), Nemesis Inferno (2003), Quantum (2003), Eclipse (2003), Samurai (2004), Rush (2005), Slammer (2005), Stealth (2006), Flying Fish (2007), Time Voyagers (2008), SAW - The Ride (2009), SAW: Alive (2010), Storm Surge (2011), The Swarm (2012).

Which ride at Thorpe Park is a KMG Afterburner? (2)

One for all you nerds out there. The correct answer to this one was Vortex. Luke clearly wasn't going to get this one wrong! ;)

Thorpe Park’s newest rollercoaster was built on an island away from the mainland, called Island C during infilling and planning stages for coaster construction. What was the name of Saw’s island during infilling and construction? (3)

Thorpe's MTDP outlined the infilling of seven artificial landmasses in the various lakes surrounding the mainland. Although the majority of SAW - The Ride's layout is built on the mainland, it is Island H that is home to the station, the queue, the main drop, and the second inversion, as well as other things.

Which popstar duo did Thorpe Park burn effigies of during their first ever Blow Sh*t Up event in 2011? (1)

How could we ever forget? It was of course, Jedward.

Write out any of the two advertisement slogans featured on The Swarm’s billboard near-miss feature, new for 2013. N.B. – The graffiti doesn’t count. (3)

Quite an array of answers here too. You could have had: Take a flight into paradise/Take a flight into HELL or DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD. If you had paraphrased these slogans then you will have received full marks.

And there we have it. Be sure to check back here next week, after Round 3 - The Picture Round - to see the answers to the Records Round. But for now, toodles!

:)