Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

What's the new observation tower in Brighton going to be called...? A standard name (like the London eye), or a more fancy name like the trademark said above.. Hmm. Looking at the construction today, I am so confused at the supports of the building, and still a little concerned of the size (lack of) of it, especially the height. But keeping my hopes up for a simworx robo coaster maybe... Or what about VR ride ( Merlin would love that not having to theme the inside of the building ;) )

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The full cost is £46million, with the Council borrowing £36 million to fund their share, the other party is putting in a 'significant amount themselves' I.e. £6million, so not so significant, and the rest is well, err, being created by the beach fairies? The stupidity of this project makes RNR look like a well run project, I don't even live in Brighton but share LC's frustration at the project.

That thing is an ugly blight on the brighton skyline.

I have a feeling the clue to the theme is hiding in plain sight, maybe that eye is from a picture or poster.

hmmmm, the building isn't going to be as huge as people think and my eye is drawn to that tunnel being the main ride area.

I don't think it is a coaster, and as much as I pray for an oceaneering ride, I just don't see the space, no manufacturer has copped to building something for thorpe yet, this could be as simple as an immersive tunnel, but I think it is something more than that.

It is slightly frustrating to not know what is going in that building, hopefully some hardware turns up soon.

Thorpe are doing a good job at keeping this thing secret, even with all of the ready access to the web and social media, I for one, am impressed with this because there really is nothing out there to suggest what this is.

If Paramount gets built, Merlin will really have to up their game, I am guessing that this is them testing those waters.

One thing I find interesting about the building so far, is that those parts which look like gutters on the top of the building, look like heavy duty cable support systems which carry electrical cables that connect to machinery requiring high amounts of energy. If that is the case, what type of mechanical or visual objects will be located around the building which would require such a high amount of energy. However, I may be wrong.

Are the words you're looking for a transformer, or a conduit (for carrying the cables)?

I remembered what those things are called now, after a quick google search. They are cable support systems. I can only really presume that those support like systems on the top of the building are for cables, as I have seen similar styles of cable support systems carry heavy duty lines leading up to my university's workshop which has a whole bunch of heavy machinery. But as I said, I may be wrong. 

Then you'll know all about how dark rides use sets, forced perspective and basic illusion to give small spaces the illusion of being much bigger, and that actually it doesn't need to be a big building at all to house a great ride. Most space will be for the ride system. Even then it will very likely use screens, there's even less need for a huge building

Is that raised platforms in the tunnel section? The structure of the building is very interesting. Some of the supports look as if they are meant to bear weight from something which will cause vibration due to movement. How deep is that pit anyway? Seeing it in these photos makes it seem as if they are almost the full height of a average man.