Is Alton Still Going To Be No.1 In 5 Years Time?

richy2001

Ok, let me get more in-depth, for some peopleThorpe Park is situated on reclaimed land that used to be a quarry. It's a quarry in the middle of an urban environment. It's not that appealing and it has come quite a long way to compete with the likes of Alton Towers.Thorpe Park, have had to make do with what they have. They are not exactly Alton Towers, who was "Born That Way" with its luscious green land and woodland enviroment. AT already have that amazing landscape there and therefore doesn't require any work apart from maintaining the environment.If Thorpe Park was where AT was, they would probably look as good too. And because I don't live near AT, I have to make do, with Thorpe Park.It frustrates me, because Merlin are the 2nd biggest theme park operator and if they could be bothered, they would landscape the park more and make it look better and more appealing.

Edited by Will

I should imagine that most people in the midlands don't ever visit Thorpe Park and definitely do not visit Chessington. Legoland probably has the most pulling power (for family groups, at least) round here. Alton has a strong development plan for the coming years - with multiple attractions coming in 2012 and a major rollercoaster in 2013.Drayton Manor is the "regional" park for the midlands, much like is the case with TP and CWOA in the south, whilst Alton attracts those from across the UK.

I'm not saying the target market want thrill rides. Hence the etc. Your assuming Thorpe care about the small things? Most people go to a theme park to enjoy their day out and go on the rides, I know a lot of people who really could not careless about landscaping.

^Unless you're part of Thorpe's main target market of course..."If I wanted landscaping, I'd go to a garden centre" ;)Seriously, whilst many on here would like some form of effort put into the landscape side and some actual trees, why would Thorpe bother unless they get a mass of complaints detailing the lack of shade and what-not... Indeed, the lack of greenery is one of the worst things about Thorpe, hence why crap hit the fan when they dared to put Storm Surge by the Amity Cove sign and lawn :(

I have a couple of points here:Why should there be a mentality of; "Thorpe's target market only want thrill rides"...?I'm throwing away all politics and company circumstances here- if you're aiming to make a big impact on the theme park industry then you need to buck the trend. Why can't theme parks go above and beyond what is expected of them? Thorpe can build thrilling attractions and also add great themeing to them as well. There are some fantastic special effects out there that if used creatively can appeal to the target market. If you asked every single guest at a theme park, then they would possibly be indifferent to scenery and special effects, or perhaps not consciously take note of that. However, the same can be said for most audience members at a theatre/ cinema if you asked them about the music. A good score can often be unnoticed and act as an accompaniment to the production; however, without the music, it wouldn't be as good. I could apply this basic principal to lots of everyday situations where effort, time and money is put into things that aren't the bare bones, essential, but actually improve whatever is being offered and may make more money for them in the long run.Alton will remain my personal number one for reasons I've stated previously- location, the attractions, the choice of themes, the staff, the music, the food and the hotels. ;)I've recently found out that I'm going in September. I'm looking forward to subsequent visits next year and the year after much more though!

• 1 year later...

Again out of interest why is Thorpe Park your favourite theme park? This saying have you been to Alton Towers this year/at all !?

Yes, I've been Alton Towers this year! In fact, I'm going next week for 3 days (because it's so far away from where I live). Thorpe Park is my favourite because I love the rollercoasters/flat rides. What else do you want to know? Why I love the rollercoasters? I'm guessing your fave is Alton Towers! Why is that YOUR fave???

Yes, I've been Alton Towers this year! In fact, I'm going next week for 3 days (because it's so far away from where I live). Thorpe Park is my favourite because I love the rollercoasters/flat rides. What else do you want to know? Why I love the rollercoasters? I'm guessing your fave is Alton Towers! Why is that YOUR fave???

Of course you can have your opinions on your favourite park but saying a park should be number one in the Uk by its rollercoasters is absurd, if that was the case Six Flags would be top of the tables.

To be number one for me you have to have three key things

• Great staff & food
  • Great ride & attractions
And above all
  • A good atmosphere
Now I haven't been to Thorpe Park yet but even living so close to Alton Towers, standing at the end of Towers Street looking towards to The Towers reminds me why Alton Towers is the best Uk park, to be number one you have to have a unique atmosphere and Alton Towers sure does have that! :)

But thats my opinion, why do you not want Alton Towers to be number one? Apart from the fact you think Thorpe Park has better rides and attractions why doesn't Alton tick all your boxes to be number one? :)

I guess it depends on what you want from a theme park. For me, Alton remains one of my all time favourites due to its location and history which really gets my imagination going. Mix this in with genuinely unique rides and attractions that stretch from a wide variety of experiences. It truly has something for everyone; you can take anybody there and they'll find something they enjoy. It captures the best of Britain in a nutshell and every single time I visit I feel like I've escaped everyday life.

You can say what you like about Alton... they're not scared to take risks. Thirteen and Sub-Terra were both a huge risk and at this stage in the game, those risks seem to have largely paid off. If any park in the UK is going to push the boundaries of "experience" and theatricality in their attractions and overall delivery, it's Alton Towers.

Now I haven't been to Thorpe Park yet but even living so close to Alton Towers, standing at the end of Towers Street looking towards to The Towers reminds me why Alton Towers is the best Uk park, to be number one you have to have a unique atmosphere and Alton Towers sure does have that! :)

They are very different parks, but walking out the dome seeing some of the UK's tallest, fastest and most intense coasters from every corner of the eye is also pretty neat ;)