Gardaland

Dive coaster track is normally a much wider gauge. Although isn't it supposed to be the horrible much smaller type of dive machine with 6 seats wide.

Krake has the smaller track, so knowing merlin they will probably do this with this one and it is most likely the 6 seat wide one as it is cheaper then the oblivion style 8 across wide gauge track and the fact that in that area most of it is white rides, It wouldn't surprise me that this is the track.

merlin should adopt the american culture with its parks of go large or go home.

I don't think so, smaller rides half the time are better then these huge beasts in america. Although big is good sometimes Full sized dive machines if that's what I can call them are very expensive just for a basic layout like Oblivion or even SheiKra.

I cant help feel that merlin get a bit ripped off in their rides. For example Gatekeeper cost £15m while the swarm cost £18m. Yes a lot of that went on themeing but personally I think that at the end of the day the ride is what should come first. Really I just want to see a proper dive machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the smaller dive coaster track a bad thing? Krake (sorry, KRAKE) is actually really smart and p****s all over Saw (Sorry, SAW).

I'm all up for swapping out Saw for the newer style DM, and I'm also very much up for Gardaland getting one too.

What I'm NOT up for, is recycled Smiler swirls as question marks in marketing tease, and Oblivion 'don't look down' arrows. Seriously Merlin, second to Disney for being the laZufariiest company ever. Is there nothing else that says 'DIVE COASTER' than what we've already seenZzzz in your own parks (Sorry, RESORTS)??

Why is the smaller dive coaster track a bad thing? Krake (sorry, KRAKE) is actually really smart and p****s all over Saw (Sorry, SAW).

I'm all up for swapping out Saw for the newer style DM, and I'm also very much up for Gardaland getting one too.

What I'm NOT up for, is recycled Smiler swirls as question marks in marketing tease, and Oblivion 'don't look down' arrows. Seriously Merlin, second to Disney for being the laZufariiest company ever. Is there nothing else that says 'DIVE COASTER' than what we've already seenZzzz in your own parks (Sorry, RESORTS)??

So when Six Flags buy the same coaster a dozen times and call them all Batman, it's fine. But when Merlin use a logo over 15 years after they originally did, everyone gets annoyed.

Seriously, man up and just wait it out. There might actually be a good reason why they're doing this. (Also having a curly question mark isn't copying The Smiler. It's a question mark... Just a decorative one)

Six Flags don't pretend to be any better than they actually are though... They have had their niche clone market and lazy naming conventions since before some of this forum were born...

Merlin, with their budgets and desire to be better than Disney, should not be recycling theme concepts... Then again all their WingRiders are practically the same basic theme (riding on a big beastie that's destroying the local area), so I'm guessing we'll see it happen more and more...

• 2 weeks later...

Works begin at Gardaland for the amazing 2015 novelty: the ultimate rollercoaster

The investment also beats all the records: the most grandiose ever made at Gardaland!

The construction works for the new exceptional 2015 attraction have officially begun: a newsworthy rollercoaster in terms of its technical and scenographic characteristics, and also for the considerable economic investment. 

For the important stage of its 40 years anniversary, the first Amusement Park built in Italy wished to treat itself and offer to all its fans, something truly unforgettable!

The 2015 season will be in fact characterised by the inauguration of the most grandiose and breath-taking rollercoasters, absolutely unparalleled in Italy, built by the top and most qualified producer of roller coasters worldwide: the Swiss company Bolliger & Mabillard (B&M). 

B&M is one of the most prestigious firms that builds rollercoasters, counting a vast production of coasters worldwide. The rides that they design and build are considered the best on the international market: there are no two identical B&M rollercoasters in the world; each is based on an exclusive design, since the company does not produce standard models but studies each project in collaboration with the client, in order to fully satisfy their requests. 

Gardaland - B&M collaboration already proved to be a totally winning one in 2011: “Raptor, un volo da brivido” is in fact a true gem signed B&M that still continues to astonish today, and thrill hundreds of thousands of people.

The extraordinary character of the 2015 construction is already stirring great interest and rumours among fans, but not only….While the first dismantling and excavations works are being carried out at the Park, an inexplicable phenomenon, of nature still unknown today, hit Gardaland Resort’s website (http://www.gardaland.it); something very similar to an uncontrolled shower of meteorites hit the website homepage, visited by over 4.5 million users every year. 

This is not a random event, as when this phenomenon occurred, a linked website - gardaland2015.it featured an image dating back to the ‘70s, showing Gardaland site under construction and hit by strange rays of light coming from the sky. They sound the soil at first and immediately after, hit the ground that cracks, and a sort of incandescent magma of orange colour comes out...

In that specific area of the Park – as it is fairly clear by now- the most incredible and mysterious adventure began 40 years ago, that seems nowadays related to the development of the new rollercoaster…

Interesting on the fact it will break all the records, if thats the case for Gardaland then I guess this dive machine would have to break these stats.

Height: 109ft tall (Blue Tornado) Not that hard to beat.

Speed: 56mph (Raptor) 

Length: 3,379ft long (Mammut) I think maybe less likely.

Inversions: 5 (Blue Tornado) Again for a dive coaster unlikely.

Drop angle: 62 degrees. For a dive coaster easy peasy!

Tbh as it is Gardaland's 40 year anniversary of being open, I feel it needs to be a special ride not one that lasts 10 seconds after the drop, like its older brother Oblivion, although it wouldnt surprise me if it does.

;)

I wouldn't really say Merlin have ripped off any of their other rides with new projects; just this one.  Of course, there's been similar ones (the multiple wing riders and dive machines), but other than Flug using Swarm's train design - which I'd say is more a cost thing, unfortunately - there's been no ripping off.  Unlike a train design, things like a font and a tagline shouldn't be that difficult to come up with!

I wouldn't really say Merlin have ripped off any of their other rides with new projects; just this one.  Of course, there's been similar ones (the multiple wing riders and dive machines), but other than Flug using Swarm's train design - which I'd say is more a cost thing, unfortunately - there's been no ripping off.  Unlike a train design, things like a font and a tagline shouldn't be that difficult to come up with!

I know I meant just in this case anyway :P

Ignoring the inevitable Merlin are just reusing old concept stuff that people are peddling, I do fail to see how this will be a dive machine to end all dive machines. The superlative language in the press release is all very well but this project does feel way too 'safe pair of hands' for its own good. A new B&M isn't to be sniffed at but I'm really not getting anything from this ride so far.

The theme to me is still oblivion (logo and ride type) meets Inferno (theme and location).

The only thing so far that makes me happy of this new ride is its a B&M as everything so far has been recycled from other concepts (as mentioned).

Still I'm sure it'll be far better than Sequiola adventure and that SLC they have.

• 4 weeks later...

I like it!

I know some people may dislike the idea of news broadcasts and how it's copying Swarm's idea in that respect, but I think it's sufficiently different.  Yes, the reuse of Oblivion's logo and that is just silly, but I do think the actual idea of the ride will be different enough to what there already is; even if it is drawing on inspiration from other rides..