Music

Phill

2 hours ago, Celia Mae said:

Love that song so much. Old-school Gorillaz were the best  :wub:

To think until recently the only song I heard and would listen to was Feel Good Inc. Now I'm also a huge fan of the likes of Dirty Harry and Clint Eastwood so I really need to get my hands on those albums. :wub:

I can't be more excited for their return. They've literally got sunshine in a bag. ;)

This was played in a local rock pub, very cool as I was thinking of this song before they played it. (if you want a name for a genre...Jazzcore might fit)

Also requested this masterpiece (or anything by the musician), despite the composer being in the top class of metal composers, I have been the first person to request it to the DJ at the time. Great night.

Since I found out that this is sometimes played in the Kingda Ka station, I absolutely love this.

You gotta love the use of the percussion, those bongos just sound amazing.

If a soundtrack is associated with a ride in any way, I then end up loving the soundtrack (I love the Mortal Kombat theme partly because it's played in the station for Nitro).

• 1 month later...

It seems that as of today, Gorillaz have started reuploading to their YouTube channel the official videos to a few of their tracks. Some of them definitely sound remastered or enhanced in some way. Even the videos are now in HD! All I've seen so far is 19-2000, Clint Eastwood and Feel Good Inc. Might be a strange thing to say that this means we're getting closer to Phase 4...but hey for now it's close enough a jazz... :P

1 hour ago, Kerfuffle said:

Been considering investing in a turntable for ages (guess there's no point if I now possess a decent boombox :P). How much are they these days?

If you go into HMV at the moment crosley's are around £79.99 to £99.99 and inside the box there's a 15% off voucher! They're good for being portable and their colour range is nice but if you want to one up on that there's the Pro-ject elemental which is around £160+ and was voted best turntable for sound quality in previous years. :)

Nonononono don't get a Crosley, they look so flimsy and sound terrible. I got an Audio Technica LP60 USB from Currys for £119 (free postage too). Got it plugged into the back of my CD player (it has its own built in preamp so if you have a speaker with aux/mp3 input you can use that) and sounds awesome. It has a dust cover too and looks pretty nice as well. Only downside is that you can't play 10" records (but there are barely any of those). 

If your going to do something,  do it properly - go get yourself tecnics 1210 mk2.

I got mine in about 98 and they're still going strong, literally pitch perfect! The sound on them is inedible compared to lesser turntables. They're practically indestructible, I'd say you are better off with a second hand 1210 than a new cheap thing.

2 hours ago, CharlieN said:

And they say that HMV employees never stop selling!

If only we were paid on commission ::::)

there you go Kerfuffle you have a range now! I myself am not educated on older players but I know a fair bit on the newer ones so if you're looking for a colourful thing with mediocre sound that has a few more gadgets you know whom to ask, I have only heard good rumours from the depths about older players... 

Anywho, Christine and The Queens. I am in love. Played on the Graham Norton show the other week and people came in HOARDES to buy her album and I wasn't too fussed, then I saw her Glastonbury set and now I can't get enough! She released her album originally in French a couple of years back then rereleased it for the English market in Feb/March time. I'd say she was reminiscent of HAIM and Grimes and the French rapping is awesome!

here's my 2 favourites of hers 

This is one of those songs that has permanently sat quietly in the back of my head, and I still remember every single lyric perfectly. Seeing as it's recently been a year since my Dad left it makes me feel terrible. This song was so powerful to little 7 year old me, I'd sing it with both my brothers and still today it's so sweet to hear and has such powerful simple, naive, young and free spirited lyrics and vibes. I really love this song because of all the memories it contains but I hate looking back at a lot of them and trying to see how anything will be similar in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Slushii is one of my new favourites. My music taste has been all over the place since the collapse of dubstep but it's settling with trance/chill trap, which is quite a neutral, fun to listen to genre. Slushii makes very melodical beats that are slow and bouncey, and his mentor Marshmello is one of my favourite artists at the moment. If either of them get big you heard it here first (plus jauz)