Hyperia - New for 2024 (Ride thread)

When speculating over potential opening dates, I remember it coming up that it'd be a touch risky opening right on Half Term... I know that a ride can have issues at any time but it was quite some roll of the dice.

The adverts are in overdrive for Hyperia too, seen so many on TV. Not ideal, and here's hoping that it opens on Thursday and isn't delayed any further...

Its incredibly unlucky for them, I mean look at Swarm, it didn't have a full day closed in years. I know its not something that merlin ever do, but soft openings could be a good idea in the future. Something like this could've happened and been ironed out before official opening.

Anyway, here are my thoughts from opening day. 

Got to the park for about 1:30ish and first ride I got really lucky and only waited 1.5 hours. I waited in the main queue until the Hyperia toilets. The host asked me if I was a single and put me in the single rider queue which was overflowing. I waited in this queue for around 20 minutes, and realized how long it was and it wasn't moving, and I also just read on the AP group how people were waiting 7 hours in the single queue. So, I asked the host if I could switch to the main queue instead as I knew that would be around 90 mins - 120 from this point. I believe there was some miss-communication and the manager didn't want to put me in the main queue for some reason, so they put me in Fasttrack instead and got straight on, row 9. 

Second ride I got in the queue at 7:45 got off around 10:15 so 2.5 hours, row 2. 

- I came of my first ride thinking that is easily the best air time I've experienced in the UK. I came off my second ride saying quite comfortably that is my favorite ride in the UK.

- The outer-bank turn was easily my favorite element. Chucked out of your seat, especially on my second ride on row 2.

- Actually quite liked the queueline. I was initially worried when we saw the prison style fences, but the queue is nice and none of the cattlepens are particularly long. You get some nice views of the ride.

- The station does look pretty bare during the day, but looks so much better at night. I love the dispatch lighting/audio, and as well when the train returns to the station.

- The trims were much more noticeable on my second ride towards the front of the train, but still took the last 2 elements with good speed.

- Ride team were doing a great job at sending the trains out all day. The train does return to the station very slowly though, and I do wonder if they could get a higher throughput if this was sped up? 

I was initially quite disappointed when the layout got revealed, and even seeing the ride testing. Yes the ride is on the short side, but I really didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I'm so glad they went for something different here, and we finally have an airtime machine in the UK. This is exactly what Thorpe needed. I can't wait to go on an offpeak day and ride it all day.

This was my first time going on a coasters opening day and was easily one of the best days I've had at Thorpe, great atmosphere all day right up until leaving the park at 10:30. They did a great job organisation wise, being asked in the queue if everyones okay and need water filling up etc.. Didn't queue more than 10 minutes for anything else on park, Stealth in particular was running great as always, both times I went on they were running down the platform checking restraints, beating the countdown timer on the platform every dispatch.

3 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Been a while since I've seen that on Stealth, that's brilliant to hear. Long may it continue!

I noticed on both of my trips that Stealth and Inferno are running close to flawlessly at the moment. It's really great to see

Was great to see, even rushing people off the offload platform so they could move it to on-load.

Back to Hyperia, a crane has arrived on site today which will likely be to do work on the lift hill.

I wanted your rush but look what it's done for us, all our dreams have come to nothing, who would have believed

all the laughter that we shared would be a memory? I cannot count the pounds you've cost us, if we could have seen

and do you ever think of Fri, and how it used to be?

oh, I know you're somewhere else right now, fixing something else, no doubt, well it's closed, tomorrow, ain't it too, too, bad?

are you breaking someone else's ride? 'cause you're taking our cash where you are, well it's closed, tomorrow, ain't it too, too bad 'bout us?

I wanted your rush but we got uncertainty, we tried so hard to open you, all the good it did us

now the fences round the park remind me of how you were, everything is just the same, but our money is gone

and do you ever think of Fri, and how it used to be?

Ouchhhh

Gutted for them!

I've had a load of adverts for Hyperia the last couple of days, they need to look at pulling all the ads if they still don't have an opening day in site

17 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

The advertising is in full force on the Underground too....

20240527_122008.jpg

20240527_122021.jpg

Omg I was on that escalator yesterday too! Did you go down the abba tunnel or were you heading for the northern / Bakerloo line!

Was off to the Northern line m8.

Yes - was thinking the same - surely they will have to pull adverts or reissue with extra text that says "Opening soon" at the bottom...

Feel like we need a statement from our Queen, Alice, to quell the rumours and explain what's going on. This is the only way the situation can be fixed.

1 hour ago, Inferno said:

Is there any inkling of what might be wrong with it? 

Someone has claimed something to do with the lift chain.

Which given that we've seen engineers on said lift hill and it was making a racket when open isn't a big stretch.

1 minute ago, MattyMoo said:

We will be interrupting this broadcast for an announcement from the Queen very shortly 😁

Screenshot_20240528_172013_X.jpg

Someone's put a camera in front of her whilst making a cuppa?

17 hours ago, Benin said:

Someone's put a camera in front of her whilst making a cuppa?

Spelling isn't always Thorpe's socialz strong point.

Maybe now is a good time to bring out a Fright Night's construction video to divert attention and think of more positive times xoxo

2 hours ago, Benin said:

Thorpe joining in on the classic YouTube non-apology video train.

Spent more time going on about how good opening day was than anything else. 

I mean it was a really good day but it does feel like they are rubbing everyone else's noses in it.