Hyperia - New for 2024 (Ride thread)

Trouble is, it's basically had 4 and a bit full days of operation with guests prior to today. I do think they overcommitted with that opening date just because it was their birthday... 

It ran flawlessly on Wednesday, it's so bizarre.

Here's some unparalleled levels of joy prior to riding for the first time with my M8:

FB_IMG_1718464088669.jpg

FB_IMG_1718464099144.jpg

Was there today. It opened late (about 10.50), ran a couple of times, had to do a couple more test runs, then ran again. It closed again just after 12, with a train stuck at the top of the lift hill. Was about an hour before they were able to send that train again, with the queue line cleared and the announcement that it is now testing for the rest of the day.

With current testing, they are purposefully sending the trains so that they stop atop of the lift waiting for the block to clear. I've never seen a ride test like that, so it's curious.

I have to say, in-queue communication is lacking a bit. They seem dead against doing live announcements / having staff communicate in person, instead going for a pre-recorded "Hyperia is experiencing a technical delay" message, which plays every 10-15 minutes it seems. 

Another thing I've noticed with current operations is they seem dead against batching in any other way that isn't batching row by row. Rows weren't being double batched today, we asked to go for the back row (no one else was in it). Batcher was very insistent we couldn't and sent us to row 6. Second time that's happened for me. No big deal really, but find it confusing why they're so regimented on this, when it doesn't affect the operations.

Also, still unsure why they haven't built a front row queue in the station as of now, and were dead against opening it with one.

In more positive news: my ride in pouring rain today was lush (albeit stung like a good'un).

I just about managed one ride on Hyperia today for the first time. 

It’s a stunning coaster with amazing views, fast snappy elements combining what must be the finest moments of airtime and hangtime in the U.K. at least. Most likely my favourite U.K. coaster, but on the worldwide map it’s a bit of a blur right now.

Sadly 20 minutes after this experience, the ride broke down at the top with the queues eventually cleared. The ride tested throughout the afternoon but never reopened.

I strongly enjoyed my go on this attraction but really hope they can sort the ride’s reliability out pronto, because it seems like a mess at present. Hyperia is one of the hottest new additions to the park in its 45 year history and they must strike the iron while it’s hot!

I’d expect the park are hoping to reopen it tomorrow, as Josh said it was testing all day after its shutdown this morning, I think Mack may even still be around (although not certain!) - fingers crossed these are just teething issues we would have seen a few weeks ago if it didn’t have its couple of weeks down!

Will say after it closed and queue was evacuated the park were pretty good at communicating, the app pinged a notification that the return guarantee had been activated and park wide announcements then followed. A couple of hours later when hyperia started to test and a crowd started to form they used the app again to send a push notification to inform everyone the ride would not reopen, obviously not good but was a good use of some of the tech they have to hand to communicate with people around the park.

Does seem a decision has been made to just use pre record announcements at Hyperia - fingers crossed when it beds in it becomes less of an issue.

12 hours ago, Matt 236 said:

I strongly enjoyed my go on this attraction but really hope they can sort the ride’s reliability out pronto, because it seems like a mess at present. Hyperia is one of the hottest new additions to the park in its 45 year history and they must strike the iron while it’s hot!

No one remembers Inferno spending most of July stuck at top of the lift hill in 2003 or when Saw had its 'I don't care about block breaks moment' on its open day in 2009. No one will remember Hyperia's issues in a couple of years time. 

These are annoying opening issues and whilst it's frustrating, people have to grow up a bit (on twitter at least) and show a bit of maturity. I've seen conversations about it needing more testing time. No amount of testing time would have bought about a lot of the issues the ride seems to be having at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

No one remembers Inferno spending most of July stuck at top of the lift hill in 2003 or when Saw had its 'I don't care about block breaks moment' on its open day in 2009. No one will remember Hyperia's issues in a couple of years time. 

These are annoying opening issues and whilst it's frustrating, people have to grow up a bit (on twitter at least) and show a bit of maturity. I've seen conversations about it needing more testing time. No amount of testing time would have bought about a lot of the issues the ride seems to be having at the moment. 

Fully remember that Inferno situation. Was sitting up there virtually a month. Totally agree all coasters have issues. This really shows the negative approach and damage that modern social media can have. We have heard all sorts of nonsense spread about it.

For the time being appreciate any rides on it and expect delays or being spited or it is just best to wait a fair while if you want it to have less issues. I'm sure in time it'll become a very reliable coaster. 

Just a quick question on oversized guests please... I'm taking my friend to TP for the first time this year. He has a 49 inch chest so should be ok to ride but I want to check about the best train seats to pick. Colossus is tight at the best of times but I forget if it's more roomy at the front or back of the car? 

Also same question for stealth and any others that might apply... 

It’s been running flawlessly today so far, opened maybe 10/15 mins late, hasn’t had a moments down time, hopefully it continues this way!

Queue is currently just within the main queue advertised at 75 mins.

4 hours ago, Wildboy1983 said:

Just a quick question on oversized guests please... I'm taking my friend to TP for the first time this year. He has a 49 inch chest so should be ok to ride but I want to check about the best train seats to pick. Colossus is tight at the best of times but I forget if it's more roomy at the front or back of the car? 

Also same question for stealth and any others that might apply... 

As far as I know only inferno has seats designed for bigger chest measurements. Not actually seen anyone not get on Hyperia yet, all seats are the same size.

teething is fine, but this cost a dime, and now we eat limes, and wait for our time

ding dong, ding dong, ding dong, ding dong

we hope it will be, something that in three, we look back and smile, but not for a while

dong ding ding, ding dong ding, ding dong, dong dong, dingdongdingdongdingdongdingdong

great gates open soon, we move forwards, but if it rains, the clothing doesn't always work as you think

Hyperia does seem to have Mack’s modified seats throughout the whole of both trains.

After my first two rides, which were both on the back car, first was row 10, second was row 9. Hyperia’s first drop is fantastic and you really do get thrown over the drop on the back car. I love the outward bank into inversion combo, for me that was the best element. All round brilliant addition to Thorpe.

I’m hearing word from a number of sources that Hyperia has stalled

I should stress that there is not photo or video confirmation of this at present, but if true, this isn’t good…

It was all going so well after they resolved the stoppage on Saturday…

EDIT - Here’s the best video I can find:

Unsurprisingly, it appears to have stalled on the big outerbank.

Yikes. Was just discussing with Josh - we assume that's after the initial stall, so it's mid-valleying....

How long is that gonna take to sort out? Blimey. Do they even have a plan for this? There's a cherry picker next to SAW I think but... yeah... long amount of downtime incoming? Methinks they'll be doing the test runs with dummies from now on though, a la Smiler... 

Another video:

https://x.com/ThorpeGuide/status/1803352876195958965/video/1