The Future & Consultation Related Stuff

Benin

Big news from Chessie then.

https://www.cwoa-consultation.com/

TL;DR

Wild Asia to be rethemed with a new coaster. Kobra survives. The Glamping binned off too as seemingly only on temp permission anyway.

Mexican (but not Rattlesnake) killed off for a land akin to CBeebies.

Other stuff like Lodges (when did that happen) and Water Park are on-going.

Good news, very much needed. A new family coaster will be a great addition. 

I’m shocked but pleasantly surprised that Rattlesnake is staying. 

No monkey swinger is a great loss though. I know it’s a simple flat, but the water makes it good fun and is one of my favourites there. 

4 hours ago, Benin said:

Other stuff like Lodges (when did that happen)

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. With it mentioned, I have a very vague recollection of it being mentioned. But still, that was a surprise. 

Consultation suggests Wild Asia replacement full plans will go to the council next month. So potentially a Spring 2026 opening. So if Merlin are on a major investment cycle strategy, that suggests maybe we're looking a big theme park investments every 3 years? Purely conjecture on my point though. 

The new coaster gives off strong "Studio Tour at Movie Park Germany" vibes for me. Simply because that also has a minor outdoor section. For those unaware, that is an Intamin multidimensional coaster (other examples being Th13teen, Uncharted at Port Aventura, technically Gringotts coaster, etc). In short, a coaster with trick tracks. Something like that would be great at Chessington, but they don't typically have amazing throughputs. Still, designed well it could knock around the 700-900pph mark, which would surely be the best coaster on park for throughputs?

The Mexicana replacement sounds fine. 

However, I confess myself a bit confused by the idea to replace Wild Asia. There's parts of the park which I would consider requiring more attention, both in terms of quality and age. Seems like getting a boob job when you need a knee replacement. Looks nice but you're still hobbling about.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

Did the water even work on it last few years?

25 years old would you believe (if memory serves). Yet not the oldest attraction (or buildings, something weirdly pointed out in the detail) in the park either.

Yeah it does, certainly worked on my visit last season and I've seen clips of it on this year. Don't think they have it on year round though.

Also was quite surprised to see the decision to replace Wild Asia. Shame to lose that theme too its always been one of my favorite areas at the park.

Not nearly ambitious enough. I say this as someone who wears red tinted glasses when it comes to Chessington. I think it's mad to replace Wild Asia. This is a park that cannot afford to run Tiger rock and Rattlesnake on quieter days. So they knock down Wild Asia. 

An the rumoured replacement theme fills me with a sort of mehness. 

Agreed. Wild Asia being bulldozed is bizarre to me when you have Tomb Blaster which is past it (both ride and building). In my mind, would have made more sense to rip out Tiger Rock and Tomb Blaster since Merlin don't like flume rides and it's also pretty old. Wild Asia is one of the best themed areas in the park IMO.

It also feels fairly new to me.  I know I’m old, but it really does feel like only a few years ago Wild Asia and Scorpion Express opened.  In my mind they’re among the “newer” things at Chessington 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps there are other plans for the likes of Tomb Blaster tba? 

I agree with the comments about tiger rock - although they’ve only just tarted that up haven’t they 🙄 

Wild Asia isn’t the first area that comes to mind, when it comes to redevelopment. However there’s no denying there needs to be some work done and building a major coaster/indoor ride there makes a lot of sense. However monkey swinger’s likely demise makes me rather sad. 

Mexicana and the Children’s Zoo area redevelopment seems very predictable, especially given the need for a coaster for young families and Scorpion seemingly being kaput. 

The plans are relatively exciting, but when the rest of the park comprises an ageing flume/dark ride, suspended coaster, kids rides and cheap (new) flat rides, more needs to be done really.