Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

So a ride with a 50ft or so larger drop (shambhala) is some how 2mph slower then Big one? #BPBlogic. Plus with air it was the world's first of that type (B&M) and that is what they were getting at.

Height isn't everything, the shape of the track, wheel compounds of the trains etc make a lot of difference. Big One has a slow, medium and fast train so it can operate in windy conditions, and the medium train on a non windy day is the fastest it can reach (I believe that the fast train runs too fast on a day with no wind at all).

The fact remains, that Air was not the first flying coaster.

I'm not defending either claim, neither are acceptable but there's not much that can be done about it.

Well in terms of reaching speed it is. A ride with a higher drop has a higher terminal velocity, Also the fact that much taller rides like Thunder Dolphin in japan can't even get to 85mph means there is no way possible that big one can do that. I believe the height claim is from how high it is from sea level so that is sort of legit but the speed one even with the "slow, medium and fast" trains could not reach that speed.

A ride with a higher drop has a higher terminal velocity,

Sorry, but no. The terminal velocity of the train is the point at which it will not accelerate further as the drag equals the gravity acting on it, the very point of the term is to work out the maximum speed that can be reached at any length once the T.V. is achieved. If it can be reached after 100ft it won't be going any faster at all in 235ft. But it can't, it would probably take a drop of full 10s of seconds to reach it on a steep coaster, so I'm just being pedantic. Overall the point is the aerodynamics and friction (reduced by gradient) play a much more crucial role in determining the speed of the train than the height.

That was dull wasn't it. Boo to all the parks lying to us in the name of promotion.

Sorry, but no. The terminal velocity of the train is the point at which it will not accelerate further as the drag equals the gravity acting on it, the very point of the term is to work out the maximum speed that can be reached at any length once the T.V. is achieved. If it can be reached after 100ft it won't be going any faster at all in 235ft. But it can't, it would probably take a drop of full 10s of seconds to reach it on a steep coaster, so I'm just being pedantic. Overall the point is the aerodynamics and friction (reduced by gradient) play a much more crucial role in determining the speed of the train than the height.

That was dull wasn't it. Boo to all the parks lying to us in the name of promotion.

Oh well my bad. Yes it was dull ;) Bad promotion boo!

I can pretty much guarantee that it hasn't. If you were to drop the train from a height of 235ft in a total vacuum it wouldn't be doing 85mph when it hit the ground.

Seeinghow JohnD's post seemed to slip off the radar, I'll quote, and I'll give some Maths to the situation too...

If you were to drop a particle (ie something very small such that friction, air resistance, etc. are negligible), we can see how fast the train would go if we were to drop it (yes, physically crane a train up to 235ft and just let it go).

Starting velocity = u = 0 m/s

Final velocity = v = x m/s (What we're trying to find)

Height = h = 235ft = 71.628m

Gravity = g = 9.81m/s^2 (gravitational pull towards to earth)

Using Suvat equations, a nice little trick from A Level Maths / Physics, we use the equation: v^2 = u^2 + 2gh

I.e.: x^2 = 0 + 2*9.81*71.638 = 1504.54. So x = 37.49 m/s

Converting that into miles per hour, we get a maximum speed of 83.9 mph.

Of course, things like friction and air resistance, shape of the track and so forth can and will reduce that maximum speed. No amount of wind could counteract that, surely...

Ah, fair enough.

I figured Suvat would give a fairly reasonable idea as to it all. But of course, with all of the assumptions you have to make, it's hard to tell how accurate it could be. And, tbh, I haven't touched any sort of mechanics in 2 years, so wouldn't know of any other of giving an idea for finding a more accurate result. :P

Ah, fair enough.

I figured Suvat would give a fairly reasonable idea as to it all. But of course, with all of the assumptions you have to make, it's hard to tell how accurate it could be. And, tbh, I haven't touched any sort of mechanics in 2 years, so wouldn't know of any other of giving an idea for finding a more accurate result. :P

Could you do your special math thing to determine what a drop of 205ft would be as that is what RCDB states its drop as.

Height = h = 205ft = 62.484m

Using Suvat equations, we get the equation: v^2 = u^2 + 2gh

I.e.: x^2 = 0 + 2*9.81*62.484 = 1255.94. So x = 35.01 m/s

Converting that into miles per hour, we get a maximum speed of 78.3 mph.

As Benin's pointed out, not the most accurate thing to use, but there's a nice ball-park estimate I guess.

Height = h = 205ft = 62.484m

Using Suvat equations, we get the equation: v^2 = u^2 + 2gh

I.e.: x^2 = 0 + 2*9.81*62.484 = 1255.94. So x = 35.01 m/s

Converting that into miles per hour, we get a maximum speed of 78.3 mph.

As Benin's pointed out, not the most accurate thing to use, but there's a nice ball-park estimate I guess.

Thank you :D but that is closer to the 74 mph that time! Anyway just a curious question is BPB got anything new this year?

hopefully going up to blackpool for a few days in may... but won't have time for a day in pleasure beach unfortunately, but just wondering can you get in the park for free and pay just to go on the big one (as it was closed when I visited back in october) - any help would be appreciated :)

The cheapest option is the "Big 1 Ride Ticket," which allows you into the park and a ride on any one ride of your choice for £10.

Sounds like a lot, but most parks don't offer anything like this.

I'd rather pay like £20 to get in and spend an hour or two there... will probably give it a miss then. I hate how much it is for the one ride, and I hate the wristband idea as mine would never scan and annoyed me being on my wrist lol- they might as well just make it a ticket entry theme park.

thanks for the info though

No problem, you can't fault the charge for one ride to be honest as no other parks offer this. It's very much an all day park, they are just offering this for people who visit at the last minute.

I quite like having a wristband tbh, I keep them as a souvenir :lol:

Two hours isn't long enough to fully experience the park really.

It is good they offer it... But almost makes it pointless with how much it costs :P

Agreed, the only way to get good value is to buy a wristband (which is amazing value btw), but that's how it should be to be honest.

The charge of £6 for a non rider is also very reasonable in my opinion, considering that all other big parks charge full price but that's a different kettle of fish!

Don't understand the argument of the whole.. non-rider thing. Surely the amount of non-riders is so ridiculously low anyway, and there should be other things to do to warrant the cost if you really are gonna go and not ride anything.

Not experienced it myself, someone coming when they don't do rides. They just stay at home or go cinema instead.

Especially given that to not ride things at Blackpool costs you money... Peer pressure eh?

Just buy a wristband, even for two hours it'd be worth the cost...

Agreed that wristbands are the best way to go with the Pleasure Beach but I find you're first statement invalid. As already stated even to enter Thorpe Park and not ride you have to pay your money. So I think on contrast, yes you can go into Thorpe and walk around, eat some food, play some games, and go on any ride you like; for £6 you get a fair deal on the basis you can do the same except ride a few select rides, and then obviously pay a stupid amount for one-off rides.

Lets be serious you don't go to the Pleasure Beach unless you have a wristband.