Closed Rides

Ash

Most reliable ride: Depth Charge. Dont think its ever been broken, not from what ive seen anyway.When I say ive seen Slammer open for 2 months straight, for a ride as complicated as Slammer (I'm gonna get hell from people for saying this), 2 months is very good as it one of the most complicated in the park (I know what a lot of people are going to say that other rides are more complicated and blah, blah, blah, but I'm just making a point that it is complicated). Yes others are more complicated then Slammer ( :)), and have probably had better reliability, but that could have just been plain luck for all we know!So yes 2 months, so what, it could have better reliability, but what I'm saying, is that Thorpe have still done fairly well with Slammer and reliability cant change the ride experience itself. :)

Every ride is complicated - other wise it wouldn't be safe. Be it complicated physically or be it a complicated PLC; they're complicated. Fair enough slammer may be more intricate in design than say Rumba Rapids, but to average jo public visiting the park, paying ?32 each, they don't care whether it used the theory of relativity or cotton wool buds; they want their money's worth. I could't say why thorpe's rides are always going down, but its obviously becoming a problem. In no way do I fault the maintenance team at the park - we know they operate under tip-top standards of saftey. But I've never visted a theme park with so many rides going down - fair enough if they state it on the website, but just shut downs through the day are getting pretty bad.S&S love using air pressure to run their rides, it's very inovative I must say. But air is a gas (or a mixture of gases if you want to get technical), gases are hard to control and when they arn't controlled properly and make the ride go out of sync, computers don't like it and throw a wobbly. So S&S rides using air are pretty doomed from the word go. I dunno, I guess being fussy customers like the Efteling is pays off? (maybe not seeing how de Vliegende Hollander had its problems)I think I've lost the point. Basically, although rides are difficult and 'complicated', they shouldn't cock up as much as this, and I am finding it increasingly unacceptable and I am sure many are with me on that.

My personal opinion is that vortex is the most reliable of the decent rides at thorpe, I have been to thorpe 30+ times and that ride has been open everytime, it has had a few minor breakdowns but it has never been closed for the whole day, The worst ride for reliability is in my opinion is slammer but I dont care because I avoid it like mad, It just all depends when you go whether you see a ride as reliable or not, You could easily be lucky enough to have picked days to go when rides that other people consider un-reliable have had good days and have always been open for you. I have been 20 times since stealth opened and it has only been closed the whole days twice out of 20 which I think is good. But you see someone else could have picked 20 different days an it could of been closed 10 times, I think its just the luck of when you go. I personally am very lucky with ride reliability and I go in quiet times only :)

I think I've lost the point. Basically, although rides are difficult and 'complicated', they shouldn't cock up as much as this, and I am finding it increasingly unacceptable and I am sure many are with me on that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. Quite a bit of the time when I'm on the website there appears to be a ride down, however I can't remember the last time I went on eiver the chessington or towers website and saw a ride down. Every time I visit thorpe I think what if ... is unavailable and this can annoy me.

More times than I can remember but I just have a strange fear of it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats Scary About slammer- the scariest thing I fear of it is if it gets stuck like it did in 2005!Not a scary ride just an experience -> never ever seen it closedin 2006 most of the year rush only had one swing working and now in 2007 both are working again it was the 1st swing nearest(sp?) the loading thingys?I always thought zodiac was the worst for reliability before they apparently got the new one from Drayton Manor (the old one had the shapes and the star in the middle I think!)Matt

Rush was/is a prototype ride, the first in the world with 8 seats [?]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about prototype but it was the first of its kind in terms of large capacity built commercially (it was availble, just no one bought the 8 seated ones until thorpe did), hence the 'size matters' - then cedar point built a bigger one with higher capacity so - meh. Even that b0rked for like half a year I think, although I remeber it was somthing to do with wrong parts.

Does anyone know what's wrong with nemesis, obviously the beach will be closed due to weather but nemesis is rarely unavailable. I'm visiting next sunday and would very much like all rides to be available, has anyone been in the last few days and knows whether it's likely or not (whether rides were running well) ? Thanks for the help. :)

Slammer would never become stuck with riders inverted. It's physically impossible, little thing called gravity. If Zodiac's motors failed at full spin then the rotating motion would slow to an eventual stop, and the pneumatic piston that angles the ride would become jammed in whichever position it was in when power was lost.

He can't have been stuck fully upside down for long, blood would rush to your head and you black out and the blood rush can damage your brain if I remember rightly. Thats why the emergency stop is covered up - so the ride does'nt stop upside down. I hear its a nightmare to reset.EDIT: or maybe alex is right. I'm not that knowledgeable about slammer

BTW what would happen if Zodiac broke at full spin?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would stop slowly and have to be manually lowered. They do it sometimes when testing - its ok for the people on the top and on the bottom because the pods just swing the right way up due tor gravity; its the people on the sides facing down I feel for.

any more answers about 1 swing in 2006?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said earlier, the air tanks are somtimes out of sync and the computer throws a wobbly - I don't think it will fall over but it can't be good for the structure if both swings are swinging the same way, so thats why I think, prevent cracks and damage.

Does anyone know what's wrong with nemesis, obviously the beach will be closed due to weather but nemesis is rarely unavailable. I'm visiting next sunday and would very much like all rides to be available, has anyone been in the last few days and knows whether it's likely or not (whether rides were running well) ? Thanks for the help. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bad weather. Crawling up lift hill this morning.

But how long were you upside down for?and what angle were you atBTW what would happen if Zodiac broke at full spin?any more answers about 1 swing in 2006?Matt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The attendant would run into pit, pull out a black pin, and lie on the ground. The ride then lowers.

About slammer thoughit isnt a gravitational spin its a motorised one thats how it comes to a halt after 3 spins cheers about the rush one (sorry I diddnt read the one where u said about the air tanks!)yeah the people on the side OUCH and if there was 2 people in it aswel!THANKYOU PEOPLE!WOOP WOOP MATT!

About slammer thoughit isnt a gravitational spin its a motorised one thats how it comes to a halt after 3 spins

Indeed it is motorised, but if power was lost to the motors, then gravity would take over. At worst you'd be stuck at 90 degrees, but never inverted. Now if a motor was to jam, then that could be a different story, unlikely though.

Indeed it is motorised, but if power was lost to the motors, then gravity would take over. At worst you'd be stuck at 90 degrees, but never inverted. Now if a motor was to jam, then that could be a different story, unlikely though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WAHOOOO I WAS RIGHT ABOUT THE MOTORISED PARTthanks about the extra info on the gravy part!!!WOOP WOOP!matt

It would stop slowly and have to be manually lowered. They do it sometimes when testing - its ok for the people on the top and on the bottom because the pods just swing the right way up due tor gravity; its the people on the sides facing down I feel for.

I suppose if they were in that position if they were facing up they could sit on the back of the seat and use it as a normal seat and if they were facing down they could push their feet againts the front bit and sort of stand up with a bent over back.Hope that made sense.Sorry not sure how to make the top paragraph a box reply from someone else. I replied to the whole section then deleted what I didn't need to reply to, just be aware that the very top paragraph is not mine, up to where I wrote quote.