Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Thing is now, Nemesis will win, since you can vote once an hour and I can only see the enthusiasts constantly voting every hour...And since 99% of said enthusiasts will put Nemesis... It's ruined the excitement -_-However, I did apply for that 2013 helper thing... Woo...

Yeah, I must admit, I'm enjoying this too. Alton Towers website is great this year and still stands proud at the top Merlin attraction.Voting from my side goes to Oblivion. Whilst Nemesis is indeed world class and will no doubt win out, with the exception of it's length, Oblivion has a lot to offer as well..

True. Rita is no coaster triumph, but I would at least put it in the same league as t'others, just at the bottom of that league. I actually enjoy the final 3rd of 13 a lot, and the outdoor section wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the invasion of the trims. But overall see 13 on a par with spinball, the second league of Towers rides if you like. Whichever way you roll it, it is a kids/family coaster with a gimmick, it never should have been SW material and the only thing that puts it in that class is the cost, not the experience. How they managed to spend 15m on it is beyond me.

£15 million is hard to base on what they actually spent it on, since Merlin place every aspect from the design, landscaping, ride and marketing into the total price...Indeed, Oblivion cost £12 million, yet half of that was literally landscaping and nothing else as a comparison...Plus what with rising costs and it being a prototype as well (ok, 3 million more than Air, but this is where the rising costs comes into play) it does actually add up and semi make sense why it cost that much...Just a shame they made it into something it was never going to be really, cos Thirteen is a good enough ride... And I can imagine that someone like Disney or Universal can take this concept to literally the next level, especially with how good the throughput can be...

cos Thirteen is a good enough ride...

No it's not, that's my problem with it. The actual ride is not good enough. The idea and (most of the) execution of the indoor section is great, but the actual ride they've done it with is lame to start with, and made downright pathetic with the trim breaks. If they had built a proper thrill coaster with that trick in it it could have been amazing, but it's not.

^But what's the sense in replacing a family coaster (ok, Corkscrew was originally the biggest ride ever, but in the guest's eyes it was a family "first looping" coaster when it shut) with a thrill coaster? Especially when your target market is indeed families?It did the job it was designed, but not marketed, to do in my opinion... I went on it with absolutely no expectation of how exciting/thrilling it would be, and came off amused, as did many of the general public who were part of the ride's target market (I.e. NOT teens, but families)... Plus it comes away with the bonus of having a bloody good throughput, meaning that even a full queue isn't even much of a chore in comparison to say Air or Rita... It's a shame it's trimmed because if it wasn't it would be a lot more enjoyable (though you do get a fair bit of airtime this year in comparison)...Of course, other enthusiasts came off being idiots because they hyped it up to such a degree that it would never live up to it...

Don't get me wrong, as I've said I do enjoy a lot of things about 13. I had no major thrill expectations myself as from very early construction pics it was clear what type of ride was going up. But in reference to this vote I just don't see it in the same league as the other 4, it's in the group bellow with spinball and mine train because that's the sort of ride it is (kiddie/family). Which shouldn't be the type of ride we get from a SW major investment year, I'd expect it in a filler year!

In regards to the voting thing, it's the most recent ride, so of course will sit high in the marketing as it really is the most recent thing in many guest's minds... Regardless of whether or not what enthusiasts think, it is a very popular and well-received ride and will no doubt get a fair amount of votes...And there's no chance of filler years involving coasters until they are essentially a Beastie replacement... Next year SHOULD provide something of substance (bugger knows though) and 2013 has essentially be confirmed now...

And there's no chance of filler years involving coasters until they are essentially a Beastie replacement... Next year SHOULD provide something of substance (bugger knows though) and 2013 has essentially be confirmed now...

Spinball - two years after Air, one year before Rita. A filler year, and a ride that I put in the same bracket as 13 in terms of hardware quality.Anyway, the advert is for Altons best ride ever - where's the button for Toyland Tours?!!