Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

For me, there would be no question, and IMO Alton and Thorpe are leagues apart, Alton being the much better park.Although, if all you want is thrills then you may prefer Thorpe. (Despite Alton still attracting more "thrill" guests than Thorpe :D)Especially as you've never been to Alton, I think that would be the obvious choice :D

Alton has the experince I think is the best way to put Alton e.g Disney style where as Thorpe is just blackpool pleasure beach!

There's is nothing even remotely disneyesque about Alton Towers. There is no immersion in a magical theme anywhere. The only disney comparison is the in your face cynical money making that's constantly present. But at least disney doesn't charge for fast passes.Alton Towers is so very over rated, after a visit to Thorpe last week my allegiences are well and truely being questioned. The only thing I missed about AT was Air. I didn't miss the huuuge queues, the stupid location or the hiking between rides. Nor did I miss the so called thrill rides because Saw the ride alone makes Thorpe a better option.EEE

The only thing I missed about AT was Air.

Yeah, that sums up my view on your post! ;)(However I'll add that I'm confused about your queues thing, the queues are rarely over an hour.. whereas if you visit thorpe at the same time, they'll have at least a few rides with at least an hour queue!)

Yeah, that sums up my view on your post! ;)(However I'll add that I'm confused about your queues thing, the queues are rarely over an hour.. whereas if you visit thorpe at the same time, they'll have at least a few rides with at least an hour queue!)

I can only assume you work for Alton Towers or have some special rose tinted specs for when you visit. If you are so lucky to have only have seen one hour queues at AT you should go and buy a lotto ticket cos with luck like that you will win big. 3 or 4 times a year I was dragged to AT by my better half I used to get excited but now its just tedious; I trudge through long queues for average rides. I trek miles from ride to ride and then I have to queue again, just to get the monorail to my car.

I can only assume you work for Alton Towers or have some special rose tinted specs for when you visit. If you are so lucky to have only have seen one hour queues at AT you should go and buy a lotto ticket cos with luck like that you will win big. 3 or 4 times a year I was dragged to AT by my better half I used to get excited but now its just tedious; I trudge through long queues for average rides. I trek miles from ride to ride and then I have to queue again, just to get the monorail to my car.

QUEUES?! At a theme park? Jesus stop the presses...Yeah, Towers is big, but so are three quarters of the parks in America... Don't see anyone complaining about having to walk 'miles' to get from ride to ride and then queue up again...And I've never really seen massive queues at Towers either... Probs seen them at an hour or so at most... So yeah, you must be timing your visits during busier times of the season...

I can only assume you work for Alton Towers or have some special rose tinted specs for when you visit.

No mate, I'm just saying it how it is.You also touched on another point on what makes alton towers special - where else in the uk can you board a monorail which previews some of the parks most impressive rides to get to the entrance? That in itself is magical.

How can someones opinion be wrong? If Eee does not like Alton and would rather visit Thorpe thats up to them, I like alton but I agree the magic from when visiting a few years ago is well and truly gone, installations such as Rita are just the same as we would expect at other parks now. A few years ago id jump at the chance of a visit to the towers, after trips this year, whilst its still good I do wonder if its worth all the effort.

How can someones opinion be wrong?

Very easily if you think about it... Ok, I'm thinking of rather wilder opinions than "Thorpe is better than Alton" (Nazis for example), but hey, if we're comparing these two vastly different parks then we can compare the difference between opinions of such variance...When I put my last trips to the two parks it's clear to me which is the superior one... But that might be because I don't care about having to walk more than 2 seconds to another ride...

Very easily if you think about it... Ok, I'm thinking of rather wilder opinions than "Thorpe is better than Alton" (Nazis for example), but hey, if we're comparing these two vastly different parks then we can compare the difference between opinions of such variance...When I put my last trips to the two parks it's clear to me which is the superior one... But that might be because I don't care about having to walk more than 2 seconds to another ride...

But thats your opinion.. and Eee dont like Alton Towers, there not wrong thats just up to them..

People's opinions CAN be wrong, if they are making these opinion on facts that are wrong. James is wrong to outright say eee's opinion is wrong, but is not wrong in saying his facts that he is using for his opinion are incorrect.In this case, eee is saying how AT seems to have very long queues, moreso than TP - or something along those lines. This is a clouded fact, as Thorpe does tend to have longer queues - for a variety of reasons.I'd disagree with everything eee has said, but hey-ho.

Unless I imagined / got confused with bees, wasps are dying out in numbers and need protecting, not exterminating. :)

Why on earth would we want to protect wasps? They are pests, some will argue that they are a valuable asset to the eco-system, but wasps (Hornets in particular) are an insect that have an extremely short life span anyway. So come the winter months, our eco-system still develops and runs without them....

Bee's do a lot for the eco-system, however wasps have no real known purpose other than to make your life annoying whenever you step outside.

wasps are dying out in numbers and need protecting, not exterminating

It is actually bee's that are dying out in numbers and wasps are still rising.

Why on earth would we want to protect wasps? They are pests, some will argue that they are a valuable asset to the eco-system, but wasps (Hornets in particular) are an insect that have an extremely short life span anyway. So come the winter months, our eco-system still develops and runs without them....

Actually wasps eat woolly aphids which grow on my Apple Tree and slowly destroy it, without wasps my apple tree would be dead and gone. So :)