Disabled Queuing Rules

JoshC.

Question

Whilst no actual leaflet with all this year's info has been produced, it seems new rulings are on the website:http://www.thorpepark.com/plan-your-visit/disabled-guide.aspxNear the bottom, where it's got 'Helpers / Companions', we've got this:"Only one helper per disabled guest can use the access pass on any of our THORPE PARK rides and attractions."The entire section seems to be written as if there can only be 1 helper on a ride as well. Under Ride Access higher up, it says something about for safety reasons about the number of disabled guests, blah blah blah, you may have to divide into smaller groups - which is impossible if there's only 2 people, which could mean that there's a mistake made somewhere. Personally though, if they are limiting it to one helper per disabled guest, I think it's pretty stupid!So yeah, d'you think it is being limited to 1 person per disabled guest, or not?

It mostly just includes whatever lines get long on a peak day. Rides which have better throughputs

I can only ever have one carer, at Thorpe, Chessie and Towers.

*Puts on the same broken record* The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I can't enjoy a day out at any of these parks in a group of friends. It has to be just me and one other person, and being on disability it's not like I can afford multiple trips to these parks with a different friend each time. But apart from that the system works really well.

One question though, is the whole "You need a doctors note" thing really that good? I ask because, looking at mine I was thinking how easy it would actually be to fake one. How can the staff tell?

You can take 3. You can definitely take 3.

In my opinion, it should be more than a doctors note. I mean, I have mild dyslexia (not a disability where this is valid, I hope anyway), and I still have better proof than a doctors note of that in the form of assessment papers throughout education. So people with disabilities that actually effect the ability to wait in line definitely should be able to provide more than a simple doctors note, surely? Anyone with ADHD or autism would have similar proof to me, that's for sure, as they fall under the same group of diagnosis.

The problem is that you need a type of proof that is the same across the board, for the same reason you can't pick and choose which disabilities it applies to. It needs to be fair. "You're not disabled enough to be entitled to have a good day" is offensive.

I don't think anyone would necessarily fake it, but I do think the system should be off putting for anyone perfectly able to wait in line. It should encourage those who actually need it to make the most of it. If a bunch of people who don't need it use it, the exit lines can become very long and this is dangerous for those who actually need it.

It does say on Thorpe's website that you can only take one carer, unless they haven't updated it...

• Only one helper per disabled guest can use the Ride Access Pass on any of the THORPE PARK rides and attractions.
  • The helper must be at least 14 years old and, in the view of THORPE PARK, able to assume primary responsibility during emergencies. The accompanying helper is required to sit within the same carriage, boat, seat or row as the disabled guest they are assisting
  • The helper must be able to assist the disabled guest with loading and offloading, including transfer from wheelchairs. Our hosts will give full instructions, but for everyone's safety we will leave all lifting to the helper, this may involve the lifting and transfer of the disabled guest from the ride carriage into an evacuation chair at high level.

I may not know a lot about IBS or what mental disabilities are, but IBS sounds more like a physical disability to me. You say you get worried / paranoid over it, but that's not because you have IBS - not the IBS causing it. I totally agree that you don't need to be physically disabled to be entitled to a disabled pass, but there's a point where you have to draw a line. I've seen it get to the point where people with mild ADHD have been able to get disabled passes. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I agree that people with mental disabilities should be able to have a disabled pass, but a firm line must be drawn...

I know this was written ages ago but ADHD should not just be waved aside because in many more cases than not ADHD is joined by many other disorders and you may think being impatient is just a way of getting a pass but we generally cannot wait that long

I don't think anyone can really pass comment on ADHD unless they have it or have knowledge of it - disabled passes are for people who can't wait in queues for long, be it for medical or physical reasons.

I've been told I could possibly get a disabled pass but I've never looked into it.  I have long standing anxiety problems coupled with panic attacks but I usually tend to visit theme parks on quieter days or I usually find that if I am in a queue I am able to distract myself - also, I always have anti-anxiety meds with me if I get really anxious.

I know this was written ages ago but ADHD should not just be waved aside because in many more cases than not ADHD is joined by many other disorders and you may think being impatient is just a way of getting a pass but we generally cannot wait that long

He did say mild ADHD

I suppose it's a strange subject because mental illnesses are incredibly difficult to diagnose properly compared to physical illnesses as there are no obvious physical symptoms (I.e. a broken arm can be X-rayed, but you cannot do an X-ray to test for depression).  There are many people walking around who would be diagnosed with Mild ADHD but haven't thought to go to the doctor to see if it's a problem.  So you get the effect of people walking around the park queueing as normal who may suffer just as much from an illness as those who are skipping the queues, frankly the park should get some insight from a mental health professional to determine who can and cannot queue.

Key word in Josh's post was 'mild' I think.

Personally, I know I will be shredded for this but I believe the only reason disabled passes should be given out is for physical disabilities. I know numerous people who make a point of bringing someone with a disability in the group just so they can get the ride priority. They use it in a similar way as reserve and ride, use the priority pass at the allocated time on one ride and while you're waiting for your next time queue for another ride.

They hardly ever check for a letter from your doctors if the guest services host is young from experience.

I personally know very little about ADHD and how it could affect someones ability to queue but I think, if it does have an impact on them queuing and they qualify for it then I don't see a problem with them getting disabled access.
Like Tommy said, you can't visually see mental health disabilities, unlike physicaly ones and there probably are a load of people out there with varying degrees of problems who could get a letter from a doctor to qualify for disabled access.

Mental health disabilities can be just as debilitating as physical ones, sometimes more so I think it would be unfair if access was only given to those with physical impairments.  I do however see that the whole thing is potentially up for abuse - I mean, (not that I've looked into it) but how easy would it be to forge a doctors note?

I do think there are probably people out there who do take the pee and used disabled access when they don't actually need it and could essentially queue with everyone else.

The problem is determining if someone can queue or not - for example if I am having a bad day I won't leave my flat due to my anxiety levels, yet other days I can go out without even needing to take any medication.  It's not as black and white with mental health issues unfortunately

Again I doubt anyone will agree with me here, but I think everyone should queue equally (just in different ways).

When I was at Wicksteed years and years ago, I was queuing for those jumping boat things in the pond. There was an autistic child behind us in the queue who kept on swearing loudly, crying and shouting at his mum because he want to "go to the front" and not queue. I know I don't have autism so I don't fully understand it, but I personally don't think he should be able to get on a ride faster than me because he is impatient and doesn't want to wait. As for ADHD, why should someone get to go on more rides than me just because their brain lining is thinner and they feel like they will get agitated stood waiting. Maybe they could have a virtual queue on the major rides so that you can book a place and wait elsewhere? Oh wait, they do! I know the park plan to use R&R for all guests, but it could work for just disabled guests.

That goes for physically disabled guests too in my opinion. If you're in a wheelchair, I don't think you should be able to skip queues. They're the same as us and I'm sure 99% of wheelchair users are probably just as patient as us too. If they can't negotiate the tight queue lines (which I completely understand) then a virtual queue (that lasts just as long as the real queue) would work, surely?

Another example is my mother. Anxiety runs in my family and she finds it hard to queue in cattlepen queues. A few years back we all wanted to go on Loggers Leap, however the queue was fairly long and my mum panicked. We dealt with it by simply asking if she could wait at the edge of the station/exit, and stand there until me, my brother and my dad got through the queue! None of the staff minded and it meant we could all enjoy the ride without skipping queues or making others wait!

Anyway that's just my opinion. 

Personally, I know I will be shredded for this but I believe the only reason disabled passes should be given out is for physical disabilities. I know numerous people who make a point of bringing someone with a disability in the group just so they can get the ride priority. They use it in a similar way as reserve and ride, use the priority pass at the allocated time on one ride and while you're waiting for your next time queue for another ride.

They hardly ever check for a letter from your doctors if the guest services host is young from experience.

It's people like you that are keeping the world in the dark ages when it comes to mental illnesses. Shame on you.

Again I doubt anyone will agree with me here, but I think everyone should queue equally (just in different ways).

I do actually agree to an extent. If your disability makes traditional queuing difficult then where possible an alternative method should be sought. On seriously busy days that disabled entrance can have a lot of traffic and sending every single person who falls under the category of having a disability straight through is just not logical. 

I'm pretty sure (correct me if I am wrong) that at Thorpe Park (not sure about the others), you are only allowed one disabled person on each ride at a time, I'm assuming for evacuation reasons

This is correct, and is the same at Chessington and Alton, so if there are five disabled waiting and you're sixth, you'll be on the sixth train. They don't stop the GP from going on and hand over a train to disabled, that's just a silly assumption.

To those that think otherwise, having the ride access pass doesn't give you instant access, it doesn't allow you to skip queues and it doesn't affect the general throughput of the ride (because when there are no disabled riders waiting those seats are given back to the main queue), if you want unlimited exit gate queue jumping instant access, you buy a Merlin VIP pass.

The RAP works like Reserve and Ride, you walk up to the ride exit, show them your wristband and access card, they then shout across to the operator on the other side who closes off one of the cattle pens (you don't get a choice), you then wait, if someone was already in the 'pen', they go first, then you go on the next rain, depending how busy the station is, you can wait up to 10 minutes, when you get on, they mark your card with the queue time displayed on the boards outside (there is a repeater in some control boxes), you then cannot use the ride access pass again until that time is up.

So as an example, Colossus has a 90 minute queue, disabled person walks up at 1pm, their card is marked for 2.30pm, they get to ride, they then cannot use the access band again until 2.30.

So don't be hating on the disabled because you think they get instant unrestricted access to rides, they don't they queue in a different way, yes their first ride of the day is essentially instant access but the remainder is virtually queued just like the rest of you, and often this system can work against the disabled person, as they always put at least 20 minutes on your card, so if the queue is 10 minutes you wil loose out (this is also why you'll see people with RAP's in the main queue if it short, sometimes it's just not worth using the pass).

Before judging the disabled, you should spend the day with one, and experience things from their point of view, the grass is rarely as green on the other side of the fence as it looks.

It's people like you that are keeping the world in the dark ages when it comes to mental illnesses. Shame on you.

Harsh. He's not saying all users, he's not tarring all with the same brush, but to think this does not happen on quite a large scale takes an unacceptable level of naivety. Its not those with any genuine need that he's commenting on. Abusable system in getting abused shocker.

I'm sure the vast majority of users of the systems in place would not want preferential treatment for people to resent. I'm sure a system where they wait an equal amount of time but elsewhere would be welcomed by nearly everyone using it for the right reasons.

It's not wrong to say this.

I myself have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety so can you please not jump to insulting conclusions.

Then surely you should have some compassion and understand why some people with a mental illness need to be issued with a disability pass.

Harsh. He's not saying all users, he's not tarring all with the same brush, but to think this does not happen on quite a large scale takes an unacceptable level of naivety. Its not those with any genuine need that he's commenting on. Abusable system in getting abused shocker.

I'm sure the vast majority of users of the systems in place would not want preferential treatment for people to resent. I'm sure a system where they wait an equal amount of time but elsewhere would be welcomed by nearly everyone using it for the right reasons.

I was disagreeing with the point he made about people with mental health issues shouldn't be allowed to get a disabled pass.

Read my post, nobody with a RAP get's preferential treatment, the only people that get preferential treatment are Merlin VIP pass holders, which in my opinion is quiet acceptable considering how much they pay for them.

Can you please explain to me why they should then?

My nephew is on the spectrum, among his many problems is he can react violently to being touched unexpeditly, can you imagine what it would be like for him to be in the cattle pen area with people bumping into him every few seconds?

Before you say 'tell him to control his temper' it's not a question of it, his is a naturally reaction, as natural as you squinting when the sun get's in your eyes, or you licking your like when they get dry.

Sometimes it's not just for the convenience of the disabled person to have a seperte queue, but for the safety of the ignorant *****s pushing and shoving cos they have nothing better to do while they wait.

I suffer from extreme anxiety and I'm on anti-D's and beta-blockers to help reduce this, but sometimes it gets so bad that I freak out even in shops if someone comes too close. Luckily for me, as I know Thorpe very well and have someone who can put up with my anxiety I don't freak out unless someone pushes infront or gets too close to me. Unfortunetely, in other situations (such as gigs and festivals) I have major panic attacks, I actually got lifted over Reading fest barriers last year because I was screaming and crying. I can empathise with those who do have anxiety and can definitely understand how they'd feel queueing up for a ride which itself can build up anxiousness (even if you are used to them). Like it's been noted above there is a system and there are restrictions. For people with ADHD and autism etc they probably resort to having a pass to not only make sure they feel comfortable, but those around them in the queue are comfortable. Just because it's not there visually doesn't mean it's not there